Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Still using Internet Exploder? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Escriba)
    Sometimes I HAVE to use I.E just to download software for my Blackberry. It's bloody annoying. It's small things like this that make you think the Illuminati exist after all.
    I thought they did :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...bug+discovered

Oh dear. For those not especially interested in the detail and jargon used in this news story, the tl;dr is that all versions of Internet Explorer have critical vulnerabilities in them that potentially put all your data and personal information at risk.

And the best part is, Microsoft don't have a solution yet because of how the vulnerability was published.

Just to echo the campaign that TSR is running at the moment, my personal recommendation to those using Internet Explorer is to switch your browser to a different browser - particularly Google Chrome.
    Firefox is cool too.

EDIT: Oh, my bad. Sponsorship/advertising right?

ReputationRep:
    chrome mostly unless im on a library computer which wont have it but will atleast have firefox:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seble)
    I thought they did :confused:
    LOL!

ReputationRep:
    LOL!

ReputationRep:
    Whaaaaaat?! :zomg: ... I still use IE

So is the general consensus to go with Chrome?

Also is it alright to download both Chrome and Firefox to see which I like without slowing down my laptop or causing any other issues?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Amour Toujours)
    My mum uses IE on the computer... I have tried telling her to use Firefox but she's set in her ways when it comes to technology. I guess I'll just remove it and tell her she has no choice but to switch over to Firefox now, eh? :o: I've been using Firefox for years as it is, it's so much faster than IE, if nothing else.
    Not entirely sure you can remove IE. Try just setting firefox/chrome as the default, take all her bookmarks over, make it as easy as possible for her to use, explain that there is a security compromise, and hope she takes the hint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seble)
    Do aliens exist?

ReputationRep:
    Chrome FTW. Then Firefox. Then any other browser except IE. I wish there was a way to remove it Nobody in my family even uses it anymore, I've converted them to Firefox/Chrome

On a side note, a friend of mine was all chuffed on results' day last year, and posted a screenshot on facebook for her confirmation for getting into a medical course. Another friend then commented that although she may be an academically smart cookie, she wasn't smart enough to switch from IE.. I had to laugh.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I used IE until maybe 3 years ago. Then within about a minute of using firefox I regretted saying I thought IE was better all those years previously...

ReputationRep:
    Just installed Chrome and my goodness I can see the difference in speed straight-away. I can't believe I've only just changed now! :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...bug+discovered

Oh dear. For those not especially interested in the detail and jargon used in this news story, the tl;dr is that all versions of Internet Explorer have critical vulnerabilities in them that potentially put all your data and personal information at risk.

And the best part is, Microsoft don't have a solution yet because of how the vulnerability was published.

Just to echo the campaign that TSR is running at the moment, my personal recommendation to those using Internet Explorer is to switch your browser to a different browser - particularly Google Chrome.
    Not google chrome (it fails eventually) go for Firefox, don't advise Safari either.

ReputationRep:
    My dad still uses IE :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Opera 11 FTW

ReputationRep:
    Been a while since I have been using Chrome, beats firefox and all the others hands down for me :top2:

ReputationRep:
    chrome is so sexy, i jizz myself everytime i load it up.

yes that's true, i have no gf or a life. but your on a thread about browsers 2 days before xmas, so does that make you any better than me?

ReputationRep:
    Terrorists?

I use chrome

ReputationRep:
    Chome all the way, except I use Firefox when developing scripts as Firebug is amazing, and well, Chrome's alternative isn't at all good.

Only other exception are my A level solutionbank CDs, if I open it in firefox or chrome it tells me to upgrade to IE v4.0 + oO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Amour Toujours)
    I use the spell checking add-ons and translation add-ons most. The rest I could probably live without, I admit. ^^'
    Spell checking is built in to Chrome.
    Translation, I'm sure there's an add on - if you mean full page translation (like you browse to a foreign site), chrome can translate the whole page automatically (built in).

Firefox only has a couple of add ons that aren't available for chrome now, there's pretty much something for whatever people's needs are in the chrome extension library

ReputationRep:
    Do aliens exist?
    Definitely!

(Sarcasm)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.