Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's your relationship with your parents like? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Me and my dad get on really well, more like friends than anything else, but he gives me advice when needed! Me and my mum generally get on really well but she the one who wears the pants in the house and I'm the only one ballsy enough to talk back to her so sometimes we do argue, generally good though =]

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen my dad for 10 years so not a lot to say there apart from that I'm glad it's that way. Love my mum to pieces, I would do anything for her!

ReputationRep:
    i get on great with mine would be even better if they respected my privacy and stayed out of my room, at 20 its a bit embarrising when you mam tidies your underwear draw out

ReputationRep:
    Not so well.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my mum get on well, i adore her. She cares about what I do, be it trying to find a job or otherwise. My dad, less so. He doesn't care, not on the outside at least, he hasn't bought me a present on Christmas or birthday for years, he only gives me cash. While useful, a present would be better.

On my 13th birthday we were going to go to the cinema, my dad did not want to go, upon questioning him he just said "I don't know", not only did this event lose a lot of the respect I had for him, it hurt a bloody lot, he couldn't spare two hours ON MY ****ING BIRTHDAY. More recently I had a job interview, my mum asked if he'd come to show some support he said "I've got this car to fix" and that upset me too on the biggest day of my life.

I think the reason for all of this was because he couldn't understand that teenagers have a grumpy patch, we snap at people, we're rude and want to rebel, that's normal. My dad couldn't understand that. My sister can be a right grumpy cow and because of my dad's failure to understand, they don't get on that well.

I hope that somehow he cares, I pray that he tries to show that he cares but doesn't know how. But I'm not confident of that, it is a shame, because once me and my sister move out and he gets old, he'll probably be on his own, my mum doesn't get on with him that much, I'm surprised they have not divorced. I hope 2011 will be better, 2010 was alright with no massive arguments.

ReputationRep:
    Really good- I tell them pretty much everything and we got along really well...

ReputationRep:
    i think it's pretty good with my mum even though we are not much like each other, have different views, and can have the biggest arguements (but who doesn't argue with their parents )
    though with my father... well he doesn't really want anything to do with me, and vice versa i s'pose :L
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    My mum insults me all the time, nothing I do is good enough for her, EVER. She's laid off a bit since I had a massive rant at her about it but I can still see she wants to insult me she just attempts to hold her tongue a bit more now.

I can't get over the fear I had of my dad growing up so I don't tend to get on too well with him. When I see him now (very rarely) he is nice but it doesn't feel like niceness to me it feels fake so I don't like being around him much either.

Both of them stress me out so much. I hate staying with either because the stress levels just go through the roof - I can't relax for 1 second without worrying what I'm going to get shouted at for next. It's just easier to avoid them both.

ReputationRep:
    Alright I suppose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    Mine is kind of crap.
    I don't have anything in common with my mum so we hardly talk unless it's necessary. I don't think I've ever had like a heart to hear conversation with my mum.
    And my relationship with my dad is also not very good, I hardly talk to him as he's always working and every time I talk to him all he ever talks about is school.
    This makes me stay away from my parents and my sisters have like a really close relationship with my parents.
    Oh and I'm 16 it may change with age but I doubt it.
    Dont worry I used to be the same as you. For a long time I never had a proper relationship with my parents, felt so isolated but since moving away and going to Uni things are a lot better. Mum and I talk a lot and I share things with her I never would have dreamed of sharing, I even let her know about things I went through before. With my dad things are better too, we never used to talk/joke I used to just avoid him and dread him coming home but now we can have a conversation and a joke from time to time which I'm so happy about. Its not on the same level as my relationship with my mum but its an improvement and even though I loved him I never used to like him but now I do.

Dont worry its never too late to get to know your parents and mend relationships, I still have to work on my relationship with my sister but its all about both parties making an effort.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty awful. Mum died when I was 13 and dad and I have absolutely nothing in common. I look, talk and act like my mum and i miss her loads. I live with dad and my sis and just dont really ever talk to them about anything apart from what to have for dinner etc. Itc complicated coz he's religious and im not and he doesnt approve of stuff i do so i just dont ask his opinion and he doesnt offer it but as a relationship its crap, basically no connection.
    I always wish i could have one of those picture perfect families where there is a loving mum and dad always there who give u space but love u whateva but cant have everything can i?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    Mine is kind of crap.
    I don't have anything in common with my mum so we hardly talk unless it's necessary. I don't think I've ever had like a heart to hear conversation with my mum.
    And my relationship with my dad is also not very good, I hardly talk to him as he's always working and every time I talk to him all he ever talks about is school.
    This makes me stay away from my parents and my sisters have like a really close relationship with my parents.
    Oh and I'm 16 it may change with age but I doubt it.
    We are all really close! It's lovely but we all have our moments but we are really close. I hope I can have that and more when I have my own family!

ReputationRep:
    Not great. My stepdad is fine - a bit quiet, but far more laid back than my mother.

My mother is a whole other story. I swear she's going to cost me a fortune in therapy one day. Incredibly high maintenence, very critical - of everyone except my younger sister... Nothing's ever good enough for my mum. She's also obsessed with her weight, and most other people's - i don't think it's ever occurred to her that she might have been the reason i went through an "i must be thin", borderline eating disorder phase a few years back. and still have a little bit of an issue with food...Yet sometimes, when she's away from the rest of the family and it's just the two of us, she can be ok.

This has probably made her sound worse than she actually is, it may be that being home after 3 months away at uni has made me feel a little over-sensitive!!

ReputationRep:
    Quite good, i'm a mummy's boy

ReputationRep:
    What relationship..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    My mum insults me all the time, nothing I do is good enough for her, EVER. She's laid off a bit since I had a massive rant at her about it but I can still see she wants to insult me she just attempts to hold her tongue a bit more now.

I can't get over the fear I had of my dad growing up so I don't tend to get on too well with him. When I see him now (very rarely) he is nice but it doesn't feel like niceness to me it feels fake so I don't like being around him much either.

Both of them stress me out so much. I hate staying with either because the stress levels just go through the roof - I can't relax for 1 second without worrying what I'm going to get shouted at for next. It's just easier to avoid them both.
    :hugs: its not easy I know. Have you told your mum how you feel?

ReputationRep:
    My mum is genuinely the bestest friend I'll ever have (pass the sick bucket...)
    My dad (who is my step-dad but I call him Dad) does wind me up at times but I've never fallen out with him over anything serious.

ReputationRep:
    I get on fine with them, but they always nag at me, and I don't really tell them much personal stuff about what goes on in my life.

ReputationRep:
    Very distant, in all honesty I'm sure they do care for me, but I just can't see it, they don't show it. I can't talk to my mum about anything. She could definitely be described as the nicest person, but she lacks understanding, and even though my Dad does live with us, he's always in his own little world. When I try to talk to him about, it's like I'm bugging him :sigh: I'm jealous of you guys, you seem to have the lovely relationship with your parents that I wish to have treasure it! 2 more years and hoping to be at uni, living away - yay.

ReputationRep:
    My mum is amazing, I can tell her anything and know that she won't judge me, she is like my best friend

I havn't spoken to my dad in a year and a half and he's not part of my life hence why I don't talk to him

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.