Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Biological Sciences 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Got the standard AAB,

what halls is everyone looking at?
Personally i'll make my first choice beit, be as close to the pub as i can be :P
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 41
Beit would be perfect for rolling out of bed 15 minutes before lectures!
Well done on your offer! I'm thinking of putting Beit first, then the eastside halls, then one of the northside halls :smile:
Reply 43
I'm thinking the Prince's Gardens ones for my other options. Anywhere else would be too far away for my liking :frown:
Reply 44
Original post by psoliver

Perhaps someone could post some titles of essays that biological sciences students have to write in the first year?
Original post by kung
Perhaps someone could post some titles of essays that biological sciences students have to write in the first year?

CB:
The archaea are eukaryotes in a bacterium’s clothing. Discuss.
Why are some humans tall and others short.
Describe how proteins are targeted to specific parts of the eukaryotic cell.
The genetic basis of Down syndrome
Orgasm in female humans has been argued to be (i) an adaptation facilitating optimal mate choice, and (ii) a non-selected by-product of the male orgasm. Review evidence for each. Which do you think more likely?

OB
Parasitism is arguably the most common life cycle strategy found.” First, discuss this statement in terms of how common parasitism is among the protozoan and invertebrate phyla. Then discuss the different parasite life cycle strategies found within one group of invertebrates, the ‘flatworms’ (Phylum Platyhelminthes).
The Mineral Nutrition Of Plants.
Rickettsia prowazekii and the Napoleonic Wars.

EBE
Heavy Metal Pollution Of Soil.
Why do we have 'junk' DNA.

You generally get to choose from a lot of essay titles so you can pick the ones which sound like they may be easier.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by alterbridge06
CB:
The archaea are eukaryotes in a bacterium’s clothing. Discuss.
Why are some humans tall and others short.
Describe how proteins are targeted to specific parts of the eukaryotic cell.
The genetic basis of Down syndrome
Orgasm in female humans has been argued to be (i) an adaptation facilitating optimal mate choice, and (ii) a non-selected by-product of the male orgasm. Review evidence for each. Which do you think more likely?

OB
Parasitism is arguably the most common life cycle strategy found.” First, discuss this statement in terms of how common parasitism is among the protozoan and invertebrate phyla. Then discuss the different parasite life cycle strategies found within one group of invertebrates, the ‘flatworms’ (Phylum Platyhelminthes).
The Mineral Nutrition Of Plants.
Rickettsia prowazekii and the Napoleonic Wars.

EBE
Heavy Metal Pollution Of Soil.
Why do we have 'junk' DNA.

You generally get to choose from a lot of essay titles so you can pick the ones which sound like they may be easier.

Pretty good summary there! The first essay we got set was just a long list of terms to research and write an essay on, and can seem a bit daunting and really does throw you in the deep end. Some were a lot clearer than others with what they were; I opted for the title "biodiversity hotspots" and it was pretty easy to get what it was all about.

Generally essays vary from tutor to tutor, topic to topic. Some may set you a full on essay on term, with your mates getting a question sheet to fill in from a different tutor in the same topic. Really depends on the tutor.

Will be making a facebook group soon for the biology freshers of next year... watch this space!
I have an unconditional offer from Biology with Microbiology from Imperial. I am now in serious delimma now as my dream job is to work with Protein, enzyme or involve in pharmarceutical indistry. I am afraid that a Biology degree will put me at disadvantage when I apply for the job or postgraduate research in protein ,enzyme or pharmarcy. The other choice is University of Toronto. However, there is 50% chance for me to join u guys!!! Exciting!!!
Hello everyone,

I have an unconditional offer from Biology with Microbiology from Imperial. I am now in serious delimma now as my dream job is to work with Protein, enzyme or involve in pharmarceutical indistry. I am afraid that a Biology degree will put me at disadvantage when I apply for the job or postgraduate research in protein ,enzyme or pharmarcy. The other choice is University of Toronto. However, there is 50% chance for me to join u guys!!! Exciting!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending