Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Andy Grey says that Messi couldn't cope in the EPL Watch

ReputationRep:
    We all know that the Premier League is a much more physical league than La Liga. As silly as it sounds, poorer more physical teams can represent a greater challenge than teams like Chelsea and Arsenal. Barca don't play against Wigan, Blackpool, Stoke et al week in, week out like our teams do.

In the Premier League, Barca would set themselves up differently and Messi would probably struggle for a while. However, Messi's quality would shine through eventually. It'd take some getting used to for Barca mind, they rarely play English teams with an English referee. The game is allowed to be faster and more physical here than on the continent. What you consider a foul in La Liga may not be one here, and so on.

ReputationRep:
    Whats worse than that fool Andy Gray though, is idiotic EPL fans that watch 2 La Liga matches all season (normally Barca/Real v Zaragoza/Almeria etc) and automatically claim the EPL is better.

Get your head out of your arse and realise the EPL isnt the best league anymore.

On topic though, Messi would score the same amount. These great big hulking EPL defenders might be able to muscle him off sometimes, but he gets around and past them (like he does most of the time), then they're ****ed tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Whats worse than that fool Andy Gray though, is idiotic EPL fans that watch 2 La Liga matches all season (normally Barca/Real v Zaragoza/Almeria etc) and automatically claim the EPL is better.

Get your head out of your arse and realise the EPL isnt the best league anymore.

On topic though, Messi would score the same amount. These great big hulking EPL defenders might be able to muscle him off sometimes, but he gets around and past them (like he does most of the time), then they're ****ed tbh.
    THIS, EPL fan's seriously need to watch matches of Barca when they travel to teams like Atlethic bilbao/Sevilla......You wouldn't believe that in those games the pace is just as in EPL matches.
    I can already start imagining barca players having around 75% of possession against the so called 'physical teams' of EPL. (Fact: they had more possession then Man U in UCL final and against Arsenal home & away)
    Here enjoy : How he can gets past 3-4 players in a tight space

The skill to between those 2 players in tight space-Breaktaking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)

I see you say this stuff quite a lot, what do you mean by the emboldened?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go as far as saying Messi couldn't cope in the EPL but he would probably struggle at stadiums like The Brit on a cold night. Seen Barca's CL away form in the last two seasons or two? Almost unbelievable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    I see you say this stuff quite a lot, what do you mean by the emboldened?
    The teams and players are better in La Liga. All the way down the table too, not just at Barca/Real. EPL fans refuse to acknowledge it 'because horribly biased Sky pundit said so'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jit987)
    THIS, EPL fan's seriously need to watch matches of Barca when they travel to teams like Atlethic bilbao/Sevilla......You wouldn't believe that in those games the pace is just as in EPL matches.
    I can already start imagining barca players having around 75% of possession against the so called 'physical teams' of EPL. (Fact: they had more possession then Man U in UCL final and against Arsenal home & away)
    Here enjoy : How he can gets past 3-4 players in a tight space

The skill to between those 2 players in tight space-Breaktaking
    Villareal and Zaragoza last season aswell. And Getafe a few years ago. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Defenders on the continent are dirtier and more cynical than defenders in England where often poor defending and miss timed tackles are misinterpreted for good old english spirit and "the most physical league in the world". England hasn't produced a defender like Ricardo Carvalho for years and years but the continent is littered with defenders like him - cynical and dirty.

ReputationRep:
    Gray is basically saying Messi couldn't handle the Stoke defence.

That's something I'd expect Redknapp to say, not Gray.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get where this "premier league is physical" nonsense came from.

If you watch Spanish football it's DIRTIER than the premiership because none of the players are very good at tackling, instead of lots of great ball winning slide tackles you get lots of poor player-taking fouls. The only reason people think the premiership is more physical is because there are a lot more clean tackles, so the game flows better, whereas in Spain in particular there are so many fouls that it looks as if the ref is blowing for every tackle, when in reality he's blowing for every tackle because every tackle IS a foul.

Whether or not Messi would perform better in the premiership is unknown as he'd probably struggle more against better defenders, but he certainly would still be the best player in the world.

ReputationRep:
    So last time when he ran rings around Arsenal was just a fluke ? If he can play well against them who can't he play against.

How the hell is the cold relevant ?

You would adapt to it. Give him the ball just outside the box and let him run in with it. Nobody is gonna touch him in the box because he's that fast you can't risk it. Worrst case scenario he gets **** loads of freekicks and penalities for the team.

I still think playing in Spain is better for him because it isn't as rough. However you can't say he wouldn't cut it in the EPL. He would walk into any first team and he would stay there.

ReputationRep:
    Andy Gray works for Sky Sports and his job is promoting the English Premier League, even though what he says is the equivalent of ****. Just because Stoke players are ''physical'' he's basically saying that thuggery and cheating will excel natural talent and technique. I can't believe he's paid f*** loads of money for drawing lines and arrows which points out th obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Premiership isn't even that physical or rough. If people have watched other leagues like the Bundesliga and especially Seria A, they will know the defending is more cynical, ''dirty'' and rougher than English based teams. Look at how Inter roughed up and neutralised Messi last year and look at the way Arsenal handled him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    The teams and players are better in La Liga. All the way down the table too, not just at Barca/Real. EPL fans refuse to acknowledge it 'because horribly biased Sky pundit said so'.
    Completely disagree, not really sure how you came to that conclusion either.

ReputationRep:
    Andy Grey is clearly throwing down the gauntlet to Messi, in the hope that he decides to quit La Liga and prove to ANDY GREY that he can cut it in the EPL...

...at liverpool. [Please]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Completely disagree, not really sure how you came to that conclusion either.
    Why?

And try and back it up with figures/stats please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    I think the EPL has a different style of football to other leagues (and I'm sure all the others have distinctive features as well), and that perhaps Messi's build and style of play wouldn't serve him well. He is very small and slight, and likely to get hacked at.If you look at Arsenal players like Fabregas and Walcott for example, they tend to get injured reasonably frequently because they are small and the game is very physical.
    In comparison players like Ronaldo, Drogba etc. are usually fine because their skillset is more in tune with the EPL.
    Saying that, Messi is still certainly capable of being prolific in the EPL, though perhaps not to the same level as he is at Barca, because his teammates also share the praise for how well he does. Stick Messi in a team like Newcastle, for example, and he clearly won't be scoring as much as he is at Barca, because he won't be getting the service.
    He's strong for his size though. And he gets hacked at in La Liga.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Why?

And try and back it up with figures/stats please.
    You said that Spanish teams were better and had better players "all the way down the table". I disagreed with that statement (and did not state the converse i.e English teams were better down the table, because I don't think that's the case either).

Naturally it's difficult to compare leagues, though if you do want analysis, the only ways you can realistically make comparisons are using stats from European competitions over the past few years, direct comparisons between teams in different leagues, and comparing teams within the same league.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    You said that Spanish teams were better and had better players "all the way down the table". I disagreed with that statement (and did not state the converse i.e English teams were better down the table, because I don't think that's the case either).

Naturally it's difficult to compare leagues, though if you do want analysis, the only ways you can realistically make comparisons are using stats from European competitions over the past few years, direct comparisons between teams in different leagues, and comparing teams within the same league.
    So which do you think is the league with the more quality then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    True, true. I guess we'd only find out for sure if he moved over here and I can't see that happening lol
    Nah, he'll be at Barcelona for the rest of his career IMO.

He moves over to Liverpool all the time on my FIFA game. :awesome:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 3, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.