Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

[COMPETITION] When will the IPcalypse happen? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I imagine that there is going to be a frenzy so I'll say....

1st February 2011

22nd January.
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by S-man10)
      26th of January.
      http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29038774 :p:

...though I suppose that Vlad didn't specifically say anything about multiple people taking the same date.

(Original post by Illusionary)
        http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29038774 :p:

...though I suppose that Vlad didn't specifically say anything about multiple people taking the same date.
        Oops, that was a typo. I meant the 22nd of Janaury. That post says the 26th. Dunno if anybody else has the 22nd.

ReputationRep:
        25th July 2011. I reckon that it'll be a while

ReputationRep:
        February 10th.

ReputationRep:
        21st January...random guess

ReputationRep:
        19th Febuary. My birthday.

ReputationRep:
        7th feb :cool:

ReputationRep:
        I'm going with the 11th February

ReputationRep:
        No more guesses now people. The list of entries in date order are now in the first post
        • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Mad Vlad)
        No more guesses now people. The list of entries in date order are now in the first post
        The prize will just be bragging rights, I assume? :p:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Illusionary)
        The prize will just be bragging rights, I assume? :p:
        The Tech forum's prize drawer is a little bare at the minute... :unsure: we spent all the budget on the Tech Forum Moderators' Christmas Party Tech Wiki improvements...

Rep and bragging rights will be the prize

June 9th 2011 for the IANA IPv4 public pool. 22nd January 2012 for those not yet allocated by individual RIRs.

(I just wrote an essay on IPv4 vs IPv6 and transition mechanism and those are the projected dates I found when doing my research)

EDIT: no more guesses allowed? :sad:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by ch0llima)
          June 9th 2011 for the IANA IPv4 public pool. 22nd January 2012 for those not yet allocated by individual RIRs.

(I just wrote an essay on IPv4 vs IPv6 and transition mechanism and those are the projected dates I found when doing my research)

EDIT: no more guesses allowed? :sad:
          Ahahahaha!! :p: this made me laugh lots.

I vote his guess is allowed, purely for comedic value when he gets it wrong.

(Original post by Zorg)
            Ahahahaha!! :p: this made me laugh lots.

I vote his guess is allowed, purely for comedic value when he gets it wrong.
            I'm happy to have provided you with your daily giggle, nerd

The numbers I got came from here http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html and were correct (well, predicted) as of November 10th when I wrote the essay. Of course things are going to change over time - indeed, notice now how wildly different the numbers are from that source alone compared to the old ones I previously used.

Got your IPv6 migration strategy worked out? Or are you just going to sit behind a NAT forever? (TBF, there are arguments for both)

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by ch0llima)
            I'm happy to have provided you with your daily giggle, nerd

The numbers I got came from here http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html and were correct (well, predicted) as of November 10th when I wrote the essay. Of course things are going to change over time - indeed, notice now how wildly different the numbers are from that source alone compared to the old ones I previously used.

Got your IPv6 migration strategy worked out? Or are you just going to sit behind a NAT forever? (TBF, there are arguments for both)
            Easy, I was only having a laugh. But the idea that anyone here is going to systematically predict the date is somewhat amusing.

Also, neg? really?

ReputationRep:
            Nooooo...there goes my estimate:
            http://twitter.com/IPv4Countdown
            7:00 AM Jan 5th: The number of allocatable IPv4s just dropped below sixty-five million. #IPv6
            12:00 PM Jan 5th: Approximately 42 days until IPcalypse. 112,545,952 allocatable IPv4s left. #IPv6

Explanation:
            12:27 PM Jan 5th: 3 blocks of ASNs were allocated to RIPE NCC yesterday (http://goo.gl/Xc06g) & 45/8 was updated (http://goo.gl/Y3Up8).

ReputationRep:
            Ok, I have a question. Where are the ip addresses going? Who are they being allocated to?
            Approximately 23 days until IPcalypse. 74,042,823 allocatable IPv4s left. #IPv6
            about 5 hours ago via IPv4Countdown
            Approximately 24 days until IPcalypse. 75,281,543 allocatable IPv4s left. #IPv6
            about 6 hours ago via IPv4Countdown
            Over 1million ip addresses in 1 hour. The hell?

ReputationRep:
            Feb 29th 2011.

Submit reply
          TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
          Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.