The Student Room Group

Why did god allow 9/11?

Scroll to see replies

i do philsophy. it's all to do with learning i suppose. god wanted to teach his people and supposedly the 9/11 would make us value things more.
Reply 41
Was a test.
Original post by JackWoot
Allah did.

Allahu akbar!

you stupid guy, what an idiot
Reply 43
Original post by iainthegreat
Why didn't he allow Frank Lampard's goal against Germany?

Because I bet on a Germany win.
Reply 44
Original post by Bslforever
A rather evil fraction. Most people would prefer that our system went from 8/11 straight to 10/11. There are a few extremists around who say that 9/11 was right and deserves recognition alongside 8/11 and 10/11.

Epic :biggrin:
Reply 45
Original post by tw68
Pretend for a minute that God is a gun shop owner who can see the future.

A man walks into the gun shop and asks for a gun. However, the gun shop owner knows, through his ability to see the future, that this man will use the gun to murder some other person. Nevertheless, he sells him the gun, stating in his defence that he doesn't want to infringe upon the man's free will.

Do you think in this scenario the gun shop owner should be absolved of any responsibility?

But that is just one isolate scenario. To take a more general case, supposing the police had the ability to see the future and could arrest anyone who would break the law, and stop them from doing so by putting them in prison. Would that not seem an unreasonble curbing of free will? Then if you extend this further to not just law breaking but any moral acts, then free will becomes almost completely removed.

So I would say that your example is not entirely analogous to the situation with God.

Just playing devil's (or God's lol) advocate here
Reply 46

Why does he allow these silly threads to be made is a better question.
Reply 47
9/11 Americans wont get this joke...
Original post by Bslforever
Well i think people largely misunderstand the role of God. He is not there to be the galactic policeman, righting wrongs wherever they occur. He's not a superhero. He is not there to make our lives free of any sadness.

so why do you worship him then, if he just sits on his ass all day doing nothing.
Original post by The Notorious One
so why do you worship him then, if he just sits on his ass all day doing nothing.

Well just because he is not a galactic superhero, it doesn't mean that he sits on his ass all day.

Normally i would go into some kind of debate about this with you but im revising for exams and can't really be bothered. Perhaps some other person will carry this on.
Reply 50
Original post by Peace0fM1nd
you stupid guy, what an idiot

More of an idiot than the person asking the question?

...I think not.
Death is not the end, dear friends.
He was too busy bumming someone's mum?
Original post by Mandaly
Because I bet on a Germany win.

So did god :ninja:
He overslept.
Reply 55
well, anyone want to argue god im all ears, im muslim...god is the MOST loving not the ALL loving, he is most loving but then again he is the most just, maybe those people got what they deserved maybe they didnt... but at the end of the day your not seeing the bigger picture, for arguments sake lets say god does exist, so if they died theyd go back to their creater which is actually a good thing :wink:
INBOX ME PPL!
Reply 56
Original post by sam1am
But that is just one isolate scenario. To take a more general case, supposing the police had the ability to see the future and could arrest anyone who would break the law, and stop them from doing so by putting them in prison. Would that not seem an unreasonble curbing of free will? Then if you extend this further to not just law breaking but any moral acts, then free will becomes almost completely removed.

So I would say that your example is not entirely analogous to the situation with God.

Just playing devil's (or God's lol) advocate here

But if the police were also omnipotent then surely they could instil in the minds of the future criminals the intuition not to commit the crimes?
Original post by thomaskurian89

To all you theists out there who believe in an all-powerful and all-knowing god: Why did god allow 9/11? Was he taking a nap at the time?

lol.. funny.. I'm revising something similar to this for my Religious Studies mock exam
Apparently, according to my RE teacher,
1. Evil comes about because of how humans act
2. Evil is necessary for there to be free will
3. All the suffering in the world will in the end come to good

Personally, I'm an atheist.. so I don't believe any of these :wink: just stating what my teacher said
To all you theists out there who believe in an all-powerful and all-knowing god: Why did god allow 9/11? Was he taking a nap at the time?

The OP is asking a simple question If God exists, why does He allow tragic events such as 9/11 to happen?

Although this user has made an attempt at mocking God/religion I respect the fact that he chose to address all theists and not just any particular religion.

Moreover, no right-minded person will deny that 9/11 was a tragic event. It was a pure evil plan and whoever is responsible will be accountable to God on the Last Day.

In Islam, as you may know, God has 99 attributes. These 99 attributes are the 99 names of God - and they are the only 99 attributes of which man has knowledge of. Of which He is the Highest Authority, Sustainer, Protector and most of all he is One and Independant.

The main issue here is the ignorance on the atheists part. In Islam, to believe in God is to acknowledge his Authority and in turn, to fulfill your duty to Him. Just as here in the UK, we acknowledge the Government as the Authority and in turn we fulfill our duty i.e. abide by the law, refrain from crime etc. If one commits a crime in the UK, this Authority provides a voice of Justice to victims , criminials etc.

Furthermore, when a person or party commit a crime here in the UK - most of the time the criminal will accomplish his crime, such as murder, fraud etc. Is this fair? No, not at all! Can we blame the UK for the crimes, no we can't! Can we accuse the UK of being unjust, no we can't! etc. etc. etc.

We, the people have the power of freedom. We are free to do anything we want. The UK has set the law, it is the choice of us, the citezan to abide or rebel.

In this respect, this is the absolute parallel example of a Muslim to God. God is the Authority.

God has allowed man the freedom to live his life how he wants, He gives us the power of choice. It is the choice of the follower to abide or rebel.

In summary, the point is that the people who conducted 9/11 - the main culprits (whoever they maybe) had the freedom to do so. In Islam God isn't some guy living in the clouds, who will 'zap' every criminal right before he commences!

Justice is the keyword here. In Islam the day of hearing i.e the Last Day will be the day when Justice is done. So every criminal or victim will on that day receive justice and God is the Most Just.

I'm sorry for the length people, I did try to keep it brief throughout but I felt it neccessary.

Regards,

:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending