Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSRBC -- January '11 Watch

• View Poll Results: What book do you want TSR to read?
    24.44%
    The Book Thief
    17.78%
    A Case of Exploding Mangoes
    4.44%
    The Handmaid's Tale
    2.22%
    Heart of Darkness
    33.33%
    To The Lighthouse
    4.44%
    Villette
    2.22%
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    8.89%
    The Killing Jar
    0%
    The Pillowman
    2.22%

ReputationRep:
    subscribing to new shiney thread :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    What if it's a tie?

Will we just start discussing the book in January, or will there be a set date or something to read it by?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    What if it's a tie?

Will we just start discussing the book in January, or will there be a set date or something to read it by?
    If it's a tie, I'll just have to kill everyone

And I think if people get the whole of January to read the book, and we have a continual discussion throughout the month in regards to various aspects of the book then that'll be good.

ReputationRep:
    Is Heart of Darkness a hard read? Is it difficult to understand or get into?

I am a science student + I have A level exams in January. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    If it's a tie, I'll just have to kill everyone

And I think if people get the whole of January to read the book, and we have a continual discussion throughout the month in regards to various aspects of the book then that'll be good.
    A bit harsh

Sounds good yeah :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I voted Heart of Darkness. I did read it for uni but we only had one class on it.

I don't want to have to reread 1984:o:p

ReputationRep:
    merry crimbo everyone

ReputationRep:
    merry crimbo everyone
    44 mins too early?

ReputationRep:

A Case of Exploding Mangoes

Dark satire -- The central theme of the book is a fictitious story behind the real life plane crash which killed General Zia, dictator of Pakistan from 1977 to 1988, about which there are many conspiracy theories.

[em. couldn't find a decent "blurb" that didn't ruin anything :erm:]
    Oooh to add to that blurb...if I recall correctly it had gay sex in it

Dunno if that will effect the voting.

ReputationRep:
    YAY Heart of Darkness is winning *feels proud* But only just... we may be re-reading 1984 folks

(Original post by The Cornerstone)
    Now how is it possible that 'A thousand splendid suns' was nominated but 'The Kite Runner' wasn't :lolwut:
    Because A Thousand Splendid Suns is much better (I ADORE that book!) than the Kite Runner, which is good, but not as good imo

Anyway, Merry Christmas!!!

Not voted yet... but saw Nostrodom (sp?) in the library today, so interested in Conrad.
      Nostromo I believe? :erm:

(Original post by micky022)
      I agree with Heart of Darkness over Nineteen Eighty-Four; I've read it twice already. Although it does have the best opening line of a book I've ever read. I think.
      This.

Just realised I have January exams, so I won't be reading it until it's over. So, I'll be involved with the discussion around the end of January (whilst frantically reading the whole book within 1 sitting).

Btw, Merry Christmas guys!

ReputationRep:
      Heart of Darkness :zomg: That's such a pretentious book :awesome:. Mind you, it still remains on my bookshelf as the only book I have never finished, so I guess it's an excuse to finally get around to reading it properly

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by BookWormShanti)
      Because A Thousand Splendid Suns is much better (I ADORE that book!) than the Kite Runner, which is good, but not as good imo

Anyway, Merry Christmas!!!
      You serious!!!??? :zomg:

Well I'm not in a position to judge anyway since I haven't finished the book. But from were I am, it's still didn't beat The Kite Runner.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SpiritedAway)
      Heart of Darkness :zomg: That's such a pretentious book :awesome:. Mind you, it still remains on my bookshelf as the only book I have never finished, so I guess it's an excuse to finally get around to reading it properly
      I thought book clubs were all about pretentious books that you wouldn't want to read unless you had a group of people to show off to about how much you enjoyed it and wasn't it so deep and meaningful.

I'm fairly sure that's why my mum goes to hers. Or possibly because they have all their meetings in pubs.

Maybe we should do that?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The Cornerstone)
      You serious!!!??? :zomg:

Well I'm not in a position to judge anyway since I haven't finished the book. But from were I am, it's still didn't beat The Kite Runner.
      Well, it's your loss :awesome:

(Original post by Potiron)
      I thought book clubs were all about pretentious books that you wouldn't want to read unless you had a group of people to show off to about how much you enjoyed it and wasn't it so deep and meaningful.

I'm fairly sure that's why my mum goes to hers. Or possibly because they have all their meetings in pubs.

Maybe we should do that?
      I'm liking that idea almost as much as communal showering

I was going to vote 1984, as it's something I'm dying to read, but people don't seem particularly enthusiastic about it, so I'm going to go for Heart of Darkness, which I'm also dying to read. :yep:

ReputationRep:

Maybe we should do that?
        Wait a minute.

Weren't we going to do that anyway?

Maybe we should do that?
          Aww, I'm not old enough to go to a pub and purchase alcohol. :sad:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by im so academic)
          Aww, I'm not old enough to go to a pub and purchase alcohol. :sad:
          You can have a coke then. Or some similar soft beverage of a carbonated or non-carbonated nature, depending on your preference. Wouldn't want to be corrupting minors. Much.

Wait a minute.

Weren't we going to do that anyway?
          (Original post by BookWormShanti)
          Well, it's your loss :awesome:

I'm liking that idea almost as much as communal showering
          I find the idea of us all sitting alone in licensed premises across the nation, in a corner on our laptops with a book by our side and a pint to hand, using the free wifi for student room book discussion quite appealing.

ReputationRep:
          [QUOTE=Potiron;29046754]You can have a coke then. Or some similar soft beverage of a carbonated or non-carbonated nature, depending on your preference. Wouldn't want to be corrupting minors. Much.

Or you could just buy us the drinks

I find the idea of us all sitting alone in licensed premises across the nation, in a corner on our laptops with a book by our side and a pint to hand, using the free wifi for student room book discussion quite appealing.
          It's the start of a new legacy; a student room book club legacy :mob:

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.