Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do Athiest's celebrate Christmas? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's obviously a cultural thing. Plus it's difficult not to participate when everyone else around you is doing so, else you be labelled some kind of 'scrooge.'

ReputationRep:
    Religion is just an extension of culture, that's why religious practice varies across the world.

The toning down of Christmas under the guise of political correctness for example is an attack on our culture regardless of ones religious beliefs.

Yule find the answer on google.

ReputationRep:
      A lot of things lose their meanings....like Easter......we all get easter eggs don't we??

It's also a traditional winter celebration...even if it isn't religious....a time to celebrate what you have....and reflect on the year.....and eat lots of yummmy food......and dance madly to cheesey songs.....and be with your family

ReputationRep:
      culture, family time, presents...i dunno! i doubt that the motivation for ALL religious people on xmas is god...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Blueflare)
      If I had it my way, we'd do away with Christmas and have a national holiday every time someone used an apostrophe correctly.
      It would only get us four or five extra days off a year, if that.
      Meant to be a full stop at the end of the sentance on your "We've been together...".

You hypocrite.

ReputationRep:
      Presents. Wine. Banter?

Oh, and family of course

ReputationRep:
      It's nice to spend time with loved ones, eat, drink, give gifts.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Becreate)
      I don't get why they don't celebrate Eid, I mean there's 2 of them and only one day of Christmas if they love the gifts and family time...
      I celebrate eid and I am an atheist

ReputationRep:
      Presents

ReputationRep:
      Meant to be a full stop at the end of the sentance on your "We've been together...".

You hypocrite.
      That's just the way the website makes the thing, if it were up to me of course there would be a full stop. I love how you negged me for that. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
      For the presents, why else?

What a stupid question.

ReputationRep:
      Correct me if I'm wrong - but Christmas is in fact from a Pagan festival? i.e. the tree (of life), offering it gifsts etc. if someone knows more about this please discuss. another interesting fact, Jesus Christ himself didn't celebrate 'Christmas' during his entire life, isn't it his birthday after all?

ReputationRep:
      Frankly it is none of your business.

ReputationRep:
      I don't get why they don't celebrate Eid, I mean there's 2 of them and only one day of Christmas if they love the gifts and family time...
      Yeh that's a really difficult one to figure out :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
      Jesus almost certainly wasn't born on December 25th, since the bible records shepherds tending their sheep in the fields on that night. This is quite unlikely to have happened during a cold Judean winter.

Why then do we celebrate Christmas on the 25th? In ancient Babylon, the feast of the Son of Isis (Goddess of Nature) was celebrated on December 25. "Raucous partying, gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift-giving were traditions of this feast."

I celebrate it because of it's cultural tradition, messages of good will and most of all FOOD!

ReputationRep:
      *athiests

ReputationRep:
      Why do Christians celebrate Christmas? It's a Norse festival.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by purple_starlight)
      A lot of things lose their meanings....like Easter......we all get easter eggs don't we??
      omg really feel like easter eggs now

ReputationRep:
      I think that most atheists in England are at base still from a Christian background. Regardless of why you celebrate it, it's still a nice time for giving and receiving.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.