Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    utter rubbish

It gets coverage because the authorities see that as the best way to raise awareness and make it difficult for the abductors you ignorant pig
    You srs? As someone said to me, if there hadn't been such a media hoo-hah, the abductors might have kept her alive/agreed to give her back/not bother concealing her so much.

The fact her picture was blasted everywhere likely scared them into NOT doing any of that. Then the "sketch" of the abductor - wtf was the point, more incentive for him to dye his hair and make himself even harder to find.
    Getting such publicity was probably more of a mistake than a help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draikzer)
    I don't make it my business to care what the Mccann's do.

They were stupid enough to leave their little girl in a room while they ****** off. Serves them right.

Also, I never said they did it.
    Well you implied they did,m when you said the got the money and publicity they wanted. Surely, if they didn't do it, number one priority would be finding their missing child. You're contradicting yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natashapt)
    Well you implied they did,m when you said the got the money and publicity they wanted. Surely, if they didn't do it, number one priority would be finding their missing child. You're contradicting yourself.
    I never implied they did anything. I just said they got all the money and publicity they wanted, from publicizing it.

Too bad it turned round and everyone began to hate them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    http://www.sickipedia.org/subcategor...direction=desc

You need to sort it by descending score!
    Oops. I just googled it as I knew it was there. But anyway,

Did anyone else realise "Maddie" is an anagram for "I'm dead".

I went there.

ReputationRep:
    I never implied they did anything. I just said they got all the money and publicity they wanted, from publicizing it.

Too bad it turned round and everyone began to hate them.
    So if you had a missing child you're saying you wouldn't publicise it? Or do anything possible to try and get them back, even if you weren't necessarily going about it in the right way?

ReputationRep:
    So if you had a missing child you're saying you wouldn't publicise it? Or do anything possible to try and get them back, even if you weren't necessarily going about it in the right way?
    I'd go to the police and not being a disgusting media whore, think about my actions before I invite the media to rape me and any chance of finding my missing child.

Also, if I did want to get the media involved (unlikely, because of reasons some of the above posters mentioned) I'd again think about who's fault it was that my child has disappeared. And I wouldn't draw attention to my own failings as a parent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    Why was her case given so much coverage by the media?
    Because of all the bull**** the parents made up and tried to blame portuguese police for this and that. Who on earth after realising their daughter was missing would call british press.

Now they are dragging it out to see how much money they can squeeze out of people who still believe them.

Everyone knows the parents did it, there was even something about it in the current Wikileaks scandal/thing, the parents were their biggest suspects.

But anyway, sad a little girl died.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go to the police and not being a disgusting media whore, think about my actions before I invite the media to rape me and any chance of finding my missing child.

Also, if I did want to get the media involved (unlikely, because of reasons some of the above posters mentioned) I'd again think about who's fault it was that my child has disappeared. And I wouldn't draw attention to my own failings as a parent.
    You wouldn't actually know what to do unless you were actually put in that situation. I'm pretty sure finding a missing child is more important than them publicly drawing attention to their failings, If you don't get the media involved and you child has been abducted, also abroad, the chances of finding her are slim to nothing. The abductors arent going to contact you, drawing attention to it may "scare" the abductors, but it means if the child is still alive her face could be recognised by someone.

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't actually know what to do unless you were actually put in that situation. I'm pretty sure finding a missing child is more important than them publicly drawing attention to their failings, If you don't get the media involved and you child has been abducted, also abroad, the chances of finding her are slim to nothing. The abductors arent going to contact you, drawing attention to it may "scare" the abductors, but it means if the child is still alive her face could be recognised by someone.
    You are so naive, gosh.

ReputationRep:
    True... but I know I wouldn't go to the media. It's as good as suicide.

You don't know they won't contact you... but alerting the mass media opens you to public scrutiny/a lot of bull stories/ more hindrance than help in most cases. Especially The Sun...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consilio Et Animis)
    Any ideas of what I should get her for this xmas? I regret getting her that invisibility cloak a couple of years ago.
    Lovely :rolleyes: one of those, it's funny but so inappropriate comments - like the one I'm about to make

She got a lot of coverage, in years past anyway. So much coverage that no one can even find her anymore.... *Crickets chirp* Ok, enough with the hoking

Sad story I guess... but it is true that kids go missing everyday and so many thousand s up thousands do, at the same time I wouldn't say everyone should just forget about her completely but realistically finding her... she may have been abducted by aliens for all we know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeStinks)
    Although it's sad she's gone, this case has received a disproportionately unfair amount of coverage. Shows what rich parents can get you.
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    True... but I know I wouldn't go to the media. It's as good as suicide.

You don't know they won't contact you... but alerting the mass media opens you to public scrutiny/a lot of bull stories/ more hindrance than help in most cases. Especially The Sun...
    Yes I agree that there is a lot of fabrication, but then some people aren't really going to think rationally about what to do when their child is missing. The McCanns probably regret going to the press now for all the bad publicity they've recieved, but on a panic instinct you'd think that the more people helping the better, even if it wasn;t necessarily the case.

(Original post by CoffeeStinks)
      Shows what rich parents can get you.
      They were far from rich. Its just they had a very photogenic little blonde girl.

Truly disgusted at people on this thread. Not that it isn't something I've come to expect on TSR.

At the end of the day you havea family that has lost a daughter and been the focus of much media attention, mostly negative.

Every parent does something once in a while which really they shouldn't, but no one expects anything that awful to result from it.

The idea that the parents killed the daughter doesn't hold any weight. Either they are cold calculated killers - which doesn't match up to what friends family and documented evidence says, or they 'accidently' killed their daughter hid her and covered it up...which again doesn't match up given the scrutiny they have been put under and the fact that you would have to be pretty dead inside to not react in that siutation.

More likely she was taken and killed quite quickly - certainly when the media attention arose.

But speculation is pointless at this point. However I would remind of the multiple cases in America where parents have been charged and suspected of harming/killing their children only for them to be found innocent (and in 2+ cases the children found) decades later.

ReputationRep:
        She's either dead, or in a beach house with a man/woman speaking like a native.

Either way, I don't understand why there's still publicity on it after 3 years.

ReputationRep:
        Lol all we know is that she didn't die a virgin!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by sandeep90)
        Yeah, nobody really cares about that anymore...

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Fragile_Illusions)
        Yeah, I'm jealous of her, having those two as parents.
        Are you jealous of having two killers as parents?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.