Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any one here ever changed their name by deed poll? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern)
    can you tell me what website you used please?
    Mate, you don't need to use a website. It's a con. English law doesn't require it.

I changed my name 6 months ago, and did it for free. All you need to do is put the correct wording into a word document, insert the details (old name, new name, address) print it, sign it and get a witness to sign it.

I printed out 10, signed them all then sent them off to whoever needed a copy. It was easy. The only problem was a new passport was expensive but they accepted the deed poll no problem.

ReputationRep:
    I changed my name to Ethan, quite a regular name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munkie)
    Yeah, I used http://www.thelegaldeedpollservice.org.uk/

(although it has to be said their online form produces the legal document automatically and there were a few mistakes which I had to get them to edit manually)

The best bit is they give you a PDF of your document, so if you buy a pack of really nice legal paper you can print loads of copies to send to all the people who need to know your name has changed.

Ah ok thank you. I had a look at that site and it looks good. This one is a lot cheaper though:
    http://www.theukdeedpolloffice.co.uk/index.html

but doesn't look as legit but from what I've heard you say it doesn't really matter?

I'm just worried I'll get it, change all my stuff then send away for my passport to be changed and the passport people won't accept the deed poll :/

ReputationRep:
    I've only changed my last name to my step-dads last name...a bit boring really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.