Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting ignorance off my chest, anyone else wanna join? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super.teve)
    Are you?

It's annoying to see someone telling you you're wrong, in a smart-arse way, when it is so painful that they are wrong.

Citing some Oxford professor means nothing
    It pains me to read your comments. The user asserted that the UK does not have a written constitution. He is correct, the British constitution is unwritten and uncodified. What you are inferring is the pillars and sources of the constitution which you mistakenly think is a written constitution. It is not. There is no single document entitled 'The British Constitution' like the United States' constitution.

You complain like a ***** about being pedantic, but these matters require precise DETAIL!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Young Pretender)
    It pains me to read your comments. The user asserted that the UK does not have a written constitution. He is correct, the British constitution is unwritten and uncodified. What you are inferring is the pillars and sources of the constitution which you mistakenly think is a written constitution. It is not. There is no single document entitled 'The British Constitution' like the United States' constitution.

You complain like a ***** about being pedantic, but these matters require precise DETAIL!!
    Actually no, he at first says that the UK has no constitution,- so go read up. He states quite clearly, if not explicitly, that i'm "not clever" because I say the UK has a constitution, which he argues it does not.

Then he backtracks and say's we have one, but it's not written.

I knew this years ago, there are written sources,- all Acts of Parliament are written and they are part of the constitution,- as are Works of Authority.

So, if you want to go into the fine details, so be it.

But I never once stated it was a wholly codified document, at all.

So please, tell me where I was wrong on this issue?

My first reference to our constitution:
    Our constitution allows for this
    Him:

well aren't you clever. Oh wait, no you're not:

The United Kingdom doesn't even have a written constitution, as shown in this quote from the good people at the BBC...
    Did I say it was a written constitution? By this, he is seemingly saying that we don't have one,- or near enough implying this. As I never mention that it is wholly written before this. He is therefore suggesting that we don't have one.
    Then he goes onto cite an Oxford professor who says the same. He also back tracks when we realises I know what I am talking about, which I do.
    (Atleast here, he is inferring that we don't have one, as I have not presented an argument based around a written constitution).

Sorry but the post didnt require me to state the nature of our constitution,- so why did he bring written into it,- in no way did I ever imply it was written before his post (as far as I am aware).
    Just as you persist in telling me I do not know about our constitution,- I say it has written sources on page two.

Finished?

ReputationRep:
    the coalition is good? are you joking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sound of arrows)
    the coalition is good? are you joking?
    Read it again, yes I think it is.
    But I never said that ahaha
    I said it's allowed for by our constitution, it's not against the principles of our democracy.

I didn't say it was good, mate.

ReputationRep:
    Do chickens have large talons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrandmaster)
    Well aren't you clever. Oh wait, no you're not:

The United Kingdom doesn't even have a written constitution, as shown in this quote from the good people at the BBC...
    Pedantic I know but you're wrong. The UK does have a written constitution it justr doesn't have a CODIFIED constitution. We have Magna Carta, judicial precedent and common law to name but a few constitutional sources. AS politics ftw, Merry Christmas.

Should have read the thread before I posted. There is a very important difreerencew between the terms "codified" and "written". Codified means arranged in an easiuly accessible and regimented fashion. The U.S constitution for example is divided into aqrticles and sections. The UK constitution is "written" as there are numerous disjointed papers covered in words that form the basis of our laws. It just isn't arranged into a single document (I think it should be but that's not the point).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captainmal)
    Pedantic I know but you're wrong. The UK does have a written constitution it justr doesn't have a CODIFIED constitution. We have Magna Carta, judicial precedent and common law to name but a few constitutional sources. AS politics ftw, Merry Christmas.

Should have read the thread before I posted. There is a very important difreerencew between the terms "codified" and "written". Codified means arranged in an easiuly accessible and regimented fashion. The U.S constitution for example is divided into aqrticles and sections. The UK constitution is "written" as there are numerous disjointed papers covered in words that form the basis of our laws. It just isn't arranged into a single document (I think it should be but that's not the point).
    Thank you!
    I tried to make this very clear all the way through, yet two idiots keep persisting in trying to tell me I'm wrong.

As I just tried to point out above.

I actually have love for you, so much love.
    Marriage?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I just don't think a relationship formed around a mutual respect for the difference between codified and written constitutions could ever work out.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I just don't think a relationship formed around a mutual respect for the difference between codified and written constitutions could ever work out.

Fine.

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at getting drunk and hitting on a bridesmaid as well. Party pooper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    I was looking at getting drunk and hitting on a bridesmaid as well. Party pooper
    You said it, how'd you think I feel? :'/ :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    Everything is subjective.

Morals are based of the emotions of other people - killing makes people sad, therefore killing = bad and immoral, for example. But to some, killing makes them happy, can you really objectively say who's morals are right? And should those with different morals to the majority be discriminated against?
    That's emotivism. (I'm unreasonably happy that I actually know something!)
    . I should be doing an essay on it... :erm: Not this week!

I do agree with what the OP said, though it really is questionable how objective these 'objective facts' are.

What on Earth am I doing? I should be in bed"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    That's emotivism. (I'm unreasonably happy that I actually know something!)
    . I should be doing an essay on it... :erm: Not this week!

I do agree with what the OP said, though it really is questionable how objective these 'objective facts' are.

What on Earth am I doing? I should be in bed"
    i JUST got drunk On my ****ing own dont worry
    im on christmas even on my own ahhahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    OP, you're awesome!!
    I agree with you're whole topic.
    My favorite part is the Holocaust. Been watching a lot of movies about that actually.
    + rep on the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

ReputationRep:
    i JUST got drunk On my ****ing own dont worry
    im on christmas even on my own ahhahahahaha
    :hugs:
    And I'm STILL awake... doing nothing! I'm not even drunk... I have no excuse lol
    Night!

ReputationRep:
    I'm bored.

Muslims
    I agree however Muslims = followers of Islam. When Islam states something, I am of course naturally going to assume Muslim follows them.

Terrorism
    Terrorism is pretty self-explanatory to me. There haven't been terrorist of all religions, nationality and ethnicity. Yes, obviously terrorism has a cause and reason. They've answered both question numerous of times, doesn't make it legitimate in the slightest though.

Public services/ Government austerity measures
    It's not really my money though, is it. It was my money but I was forced to give it away.

Welfare
    So you believe in forced charity? What's the difference between that and a random person on the street robbing me and giving my money to the homeless? Do you believe that act is perfectly moral?

Religious people
    I am going to care. Why am I going to care? Because it's going to affect me (indirectly or directly). They may do good but they also do bad (e.g. Islamic law). Some of there perception of good fits with my perception of bad.

Politics
    Yes they do hold some weight but not anything too significant, in a democracy this is bound to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    I'm bored.

I agree however Muslims = followers of Islam. When Islam states something, I am of course naturally going to assume Muslim follows them.

Terrorism is pretty self-explanatory to me. There haven't been terrorist of all religions, nationality and ethnicity. Yes, obviously terrorism has a cause and reason. They've answered both question numerous of times, doesn't make it legitimate in the slightest though.

It's not really my money though, is it. It was my money but I was forced to give it away.

So you believe in forced charity? What's the difference between that and a random person on the street robbing me and giving my money to the homeless? Do you believe that act is perfectly moral?

I am going to care. Why am I going to care? Because it's going to affect me (indirectly or directly). They may do good but they also do bad (e.g. Islamic law). Some of there perception of good fits with my perception of bad.

Yes they do hold some weight but not anything too significant, in a democracy this is bound to happen.
    Welfare is not forced charity,- the NHS, is not forced charity.
    "In modern usage, the practice of charity means the giving of help to those in need who are not related to the giver."
    Maybe by definition, but not in reality.

In reality, people opt into the system, otherwise they can opt out and there are a few ways to do so,- one of which meaning they leave the country.

Welfare "is bound to happen in a democracy"<- your reasoning for another topic. The majority people want a welfare system, there is a huge public support for it and therefore I support it.

In principle it's a system by everyone for everyone administered on behalf of the government for the public. Maybe it is no longer by everyone for everyone, but do a little research and you'll see that the majority of people support the welfare system.

Tax, it is your money and yes you were "forced" to contribute to society. Don't forget most of your tax money covers what you use/take out of the system;
    Roads, the education system etc
    If you don't like the tax system and think it's "forced", opt out and move out?
    This is the system which almost every state in the world operates by, because it's the most effective system we have right now, it's tried and tested and by God does work.
    Capitalism works, communism is nice in theory, but fails in practise.

If meaning we keep the welfare system, then yes, I believe in forced charity. But by using that term you imply the system is not what the public want, but a system which they monotonously give to whilst others take from. This is not the case,- everyone benefits from the system,- granted, some more than others.

You tell me, is it better to have a public welfare system or not?

I never said that terrorism was legitimate, I just said, people forget that there are more than Muslim terrorists and that there have been Christian terrorists for instance.
    I'm not condoning terrorism.

Jesus, you made me think on Christmas day!

ReputationRep:
    Ask why: maybe they have a cause, or reason?
    who the **** cares what their reason is? nothing justifies killing innocent people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheylan)
    who the **** cares what their reason is? nothing justifies killing innocent people
    I agree I said that in another thread.
    But people should at least question why those innocent people died, or why those terrorists did that.

For instance, Wikileaks was accused of being a terrorist organisation by some US officials,- but why? Why did they do what they've done for the past few years and why have they been called terrorists?
    It's good to ask, it's good to know.

ReputationRep:
    In reality, people opt into the system, otherwise they can opt out and there are a few ways to do so,- one of which meaning they leave the country.
    You can't opt out nor do you always chose to opt in. I am a British citizen not by my choice but because of my parents. Therefore, now because of this I have to pay for others health. I can't just leave because a) emotional connection [friends/family etc] and b) don't have the means to just up and leave and c) I can't just up and leave to a country, there's a process that I have to go through.

Welfare "is bound to happen in a democracy"<- your reasoning for another topic. The majority people want a welfare system, there is a huge public support for it and therefore I support it.
    If there is huge support for it, why don't we make it voluntary and see how many people are wiling to donate to it? Also, explain how it's bound to happen in a democracy?

Tax, it is your money and yes you were "forced" to contribute to society. Don't forget most of your tax money covers what you use/take out of the system;
    Roads, the education system etc
    But, I don't choose. Also, I didn't chose my education system. I didn't chose to go to a state school, my parents chose for me. My tax goes to countries that I don't believe we should be helping or we aren't helping but supplying the corrupt governments. If my tax went to things I support, sure I wouldn't mind.

You tell me, is it better to have a public welfare system or not?
    Nope. If you want a elaboration, I will have to get back to you on this point because I'm new to the topic.

I never said that terrorism was legitimate, I just said, people forget that there are more than Muslim terrorists and that there have been Christian terrorists for instance.
    They don't forgot, they just don't see the relevance. Past and present, my friend.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.