Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColonelMoore)
    It really brings home the retardation there is in this world when people get excited about getting an offer from a uni.

It's like back in school days, when people got excited because they got 5 C's at GCSE, and were going to go to college to study something **** like hairdressing or bricklaying.
    Hmm yes, god knows why people get excited about the prospect of attending a university they're really interested in attending, it's totally beyond me too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColonelMoore)
    It really brings home the retardation there is in this world when people get excited about getting an offer from a uni.

It's like back in school days, when people got excited because they got 5 C's at GCSE, and were going to go to college to study something **** like hairdressing or bricklaying.
    First off, getting an offer from a university is not for granted and neither easy (in many cases) - there are many competitive schools that reject bright cadidates with triple A* and other achievements and it usually takes a few months for a candidate to write a convincing personal statement, nevertheless do the things they are writing about.

Secondly, what is wrong about kids getting 5 Cs at GCSE and proceeding to do a manual job? Not everyone is as clever as you are (let alone the fact that C is NOT a bad grade) and there will always be a demand for such employees. Frowning upon them is a sign of snobbery, sorry to say that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hafsaay)
    Aww :console: I remember getting all 5 of my offers before telling my parents, I was so happy and my dad was just like '5 offers means nothing' and walked off. I remained silent till results day. :nothing:

:sad:
    epic

ReputationRep:
    My parents were psyched when I got offers from Liverpool and Aberystwyth. My sister just graduated from Oxford but they don't care as long as I do as best I can

...ok they probably wish I hadn't been born because I'm not Oxbridge standard like the rest of my family and will probably kill me before I actually get to uni to save the potential embarrassment but still. At least they pretend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivanka)
    No, they aren't

Actually, most of the quotes I put into my OP were said by my grandma - she is very conservative, has never gone to uni, worked all her life as an accountant, and says things like, "Girls shouldn't study Maths":rolleyes:
    Aww bless her, it's always the older 'wiser' slightly pessimistic ones.
    Sounds very similar to something my Arab parents would say, but I haven't received any offers or rejections yet so I'm yet to see their reaction.

Don't worry, they're probably very proud of you, just don't want to show it now

ReputationRep:
    My mother is notoriously hard to please so I tend just to not mention anything academically related anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking the OP's side on this. To me, getting offers (presuming I do) is going to be a huge thing for me, but I know that when I tell my parents they'll just say, "Oh, that's nice." and move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivanka)
    I got an offer from York a few days ago. It was my first one and therefore I was completely amazed and happy about this. However, I feel my family doesn't share the same feelings. It came out today at a family meet-up when I said, "I've got into York!":

1. You still have to meet the conditions.
    2. What are you going to do with a degree in Spanish and Linguistics?
    3. How are you going to fund your studies since the tuition fees have been raised?
    4. I pretty think you should study in the Czech Republic.

I know I still have to get the grades to be admitted...but really, my friends are sending me congratulations, people on TSR seem happy and plan their future in terms of those unis having given them offers. Or shouldn't I be utterly neutral about this? I still can fail my Maturita exams and, after all, it's probably not that demanding to get to York...
    I'm sorry, that must be really hard. I do kind of agree that you can't really celebrate till you have the grades but an offer is an offer and your parents should be proud! If it is any consolation (and don't think I'm strange ) at Christmas yesterday my Auntie was talking about a Czech friend she had whose daughter was applying to England and I remembered seeing this thread earlier so mentioned that you had an Oxford interview and York offer and things and my family (who, to be fair, have no idea who you are) were very proud for you! Want to share my relatives? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    I'm sorry, that must be really hard. I do kind of agree that you can't really celebrate till you have the grades but an offer is an offer and your parents should be proud! If it is any consolation (and don't think I'm strange ) at Christmas yesterday my Auntie was talking about a Czech friend she had whose daughter was applying to England and I remembered seeing this thread earlier so mentioned that you had an Oxford interview and York offer and things and my family (who, to be fair, have no idea who you are) were very proud for you! Want to share my relatives? :rofl:
    Ah, your family's so lovely! And no, I don't think you are strange, in fact, this TSR community seems like a group of acquiantances...although we've mostly never seen each other and such

ReputationRep:
    Be happy - York is a beautiful university and high standard.

ReputationRep:
    While it's a shame that your family are being like this, you should still be proud of yourself. Having your child go to study in another country is probably a pretty scary thought, which might be why they're reacting like this (it's all much more real now you have an offer you really want to go to!) so just wait a while and hopefully they'll be pleased when they see how happy it makes you.

ReputationRep:
    :console: Just ignore them, they'll come round. Well done on the offer!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.