My first phone was in 1996 aprox
    like this but a bit thicker

then in 1999

then this cos i broke the other

5 others and finally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gordoxo)
    I love it when people talk about "free" phones

Yes, because paying £30+/mo for 24 months is totally free. I have the mind of a child and get an insatiable bout of consumerism whenever I see something which has low short-term costs durr durr durr

what do you mean UK debt is 70% of our gdp???? i am so shock at this happen!!
    When people say that it's free, they're referring to the handset, and yes, that's true. I paid nothing for the handset. The monthyl tarriff on the other hand, is obviously not free.

The rest of your post is a bit nonsensical.

(Original post by MasterJomi)
      Lol jk, iPhones are far more superior.
      Tautology and only a matter of opinion.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Revd. Mike)
      When people say that it's free, they're referring to the handset, and yes, that's true. I paid nothing for the handset. The monthyl tarriff on the other hand, is obviously not free.

Then you're exactly the kind of retard I'm referring to.

e: also you comma splice like crazy, please get that fixed!

ReputationRep:
      tbh I like it. I have the bold 9700. I don't like touch screens so that rules out a lot of options. I love the keypad, and the ball thingy. and I like the simplicity plus I like the little flash light thing.

ReputationRep:
      I got a BlackBerry because I didn't want an iPhone, also the contract was a very good deal.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by p+i+n+k)
      My first phone was in 1996 aprox
      like this but a bit thicker

then in 1999

then this cos i broke the other

5 others and finally

Ooh; goodie for you! Add me!

Your first phone is so hilarious. I don't mean to be mean but it just is!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Escriba)
      MSN has and always will suck.
      When i was 12/13/14 it was quite good , this was pre facebook though
      I'm 17 now and never use msn ..BBm is the way forward

ReputationRep:
      Because BBM is free to use, even though blackberries come with unlimited text contracts...

ReputationRep:
      Android phones absolutely own..

My Samsung Galaxy S makes juice outta BlackBerry phones

ReputationRep:

Except that when you get a handset for free, or for a cheaper price than normal, you are paying more per month to make up for it. So its technically not free.

ReputationRep:
      I know! I log on to facebook and all I see is BB pins! Its actually annoying. Although I used to have one, shame it got stolen.

ReputationRep:
      BBM

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by WelshBluebird)
      Except that when you get a handset for free, or for a cheaper price than normal, you are paying more per month to make up for it. So its technically not free.
      £10 a month isn't very much at all.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by p+i+n+k)
      Some people even have blackberry + iphone :O
      Standard in Starbucks.

ReputationRep:
      Surely theres plently of good deals, which are cheaper than the plans for Blackberrys ,that come with unlimited texts so whats so good about BBM??

ReputationRep:
      £10 a month isn't very much at all.
      It still isn't free.
      And depending on the phone and contract you have, you could be better off buying the phone PAYG / sim free, and getting a monthly sim only contract.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by WelshBluebird)
      It still isn't free.
      And depending on the phone and contract you have, you could be better off buying the phone PAYG / sim free, and getting a monthly sim only contract.
      This way suited me better, as I don't have a lot of money available to pay a lump sum to buy a handset. This way I pay a small amount per month and that's it, rather than paying out a large sum, plus a small amount each month as well.

ReputationRep:
      I noticed this as well.

At least 50 people (no exaggeration) on my Facebook friends list had a status today about getting one.

ReputationRep:
      This way suited me better, as I don't have a lot of money available to pay a lump sum to buy a handset. This way I pay a small amount per month and that's it, rather than paying out a large sum, plus a small amount each month as well.
      Yep, I realise that for a lot of people the long term contract option is better because of cash flow. But I think they should be aware they could be paying more in the long run. Its the same with the "free gifts" you can sometimes get with contracts. You often end up spending more than what the gift is worth in increased monthly costs.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.