Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is LED TV really worth it? Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legendstar)
    maybe 500 ish, we are looking for one thats around 42' to 50''. a good deal with a high spec. if you know what i mean, we are willing to pay a little bit more for highquality but over 500 would be a little too much.
    this is a excellent set for the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE40...3636501&sr=8-1

ReputationRep:
    oh my diddy, i just want to know if it is worth getting an LED TV for its quality and efficiency or just settling for an original LCD because it is cheaper.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedepressedchild)
    oh my diddy, i just want to know if it is worth getting an LED TV for its quality and efficiency or just settling for an original LCD because it is cheaper.
    Original LCD is better than most LEDs. The FEW LEDS that are better are 42inch +. Hope that helps
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    That's true, but there are very few 1080p games anyway and the large majority of those buying a new TV for their Blu-Ray player are for more learned in the technology.

But I agree, it's a shame. I try and be as honest as possible with customers. Most of my co-workers just feed the usual misleading lines such as "1080p out the box, can't get any better"... not even mentioning that it's only 50Hz and susceptible to motion blurring. I find that buyers would rather pay more for something of high quality if they're given the correct information (or should I say all the information) especially when they feel the seller is on their side.

One thing I'll say right off the bat -"600Hz" is another marketing gimmick, i.e. a 600Hz TV is not six times faster than a 100Hz TV. It actually refers to "sub-fields". In the same way that "dynamic contrast ratio" is not the same to "contrast ratio" which is why some sets have such larger ratios than others.

But anyway - the C450 is a great set and that's a very generous price. The only thing I would say is that at 50", 1080p would be beneficial but ONLY if you are viewing 1080p sources... in fact I would go as far to say it's only really beneficial and worth thinking about if you have a Blu-Ray player (and possibly HD channels).

If you can stretch it, I think this is a notably better set. It's an extra £180 but more than worth it, especially if you don't want to have to upgrade for a long time, like you said.

Hope that helps
    Yep plasmas refresh at a rate of 100hz, using double scan (repeats same frame 2 x) per cycle. the 600hz realtees to the color graduation system and has nothing to do with motion.

100hz LCDs use motion compensated frame interpolation which is a totally difference system to plasmas double scan system. This does improve the apperance of motion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Original LCD is better than most LEDs. The FEW LEDS that are better are 42inch +. Hope that helps
    Finally, ok thank you lol.

However, is it true that LED TV's are 40% more efficient in terms of power consumption? Because if it is, then i will probably go for LED just solely based on that.

ReputationRep:
    So i'm thinking of buying a new telly and saw this offer in Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...7C16180235.htm

However i'm seeing much better deals on LCD TV's so i'm wondering is it really worth getting an LED or shall i go for a really good LCD TV?

Thanks
    If you have an LC TV and want to upgrade, you rather leave it for now and wait for a better technology to come out. No point getting LED if you have LCD already. And wtf is Bush? Probably some next crappy short-life TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llpokermuffinll)
    If you have an LC TV and want to upgrade, you rather leave it for now and wait for a better technology to come out. No point getting LED if you have LCD already. And wtf is Bush? Probably some next crappy short-life TV.
    No i currently have the big fat CRT lol. But i see what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    No i currently have the big fat CRT lol. But i see what you mean.

Overall yea LEDs are better than LCDs n plasmas. However i would realy ask u to look at them before buying. The only downside of LEDS is that 'white' colour has a hint of blue. That is coz there isnt a white led and they have to coat it to make the colour white.

Not many people notice this but i thout i mite just point it out

Never mind, just saw what price you're aiming for in the OP link.

this is a excellent set for the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE40...3636501&sr=8-1
        Just linked that, got it this Christmas. It's insanely good, we have a Panasonic plasma HD downstairs and this TV trumps it. Games and blu ray look absolutely stunning on it and the Freeview HD tuner is fantastic.

Edit: Removed the link since it seemed to be over the price in the OP link.

It's also a beautiful set. The glass edge and the deep dark red within it is gorgeous.
        • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

However, is it true that LED TV's are 40% more efficient in terms of power consumption? Because if it is, then i will probably go for LED just solely based on that.
        When calibrated its about 10 - 20% difference

But thing you gotta note is LCDs use hardly any power in first place

A CCFL LCD will typically draw around 60 - 80 watts calibrated

A EDGE LED LCD typically draw 50 - 70 watts calibrated

Both above are averages based on a 40 inch screen

Heres a good website to read to find out what are and aint good TVs, with power readings etc all recorded:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/reviews.php

ReputationRep:

At the budget end of TVs (which you seem to be aiming at), LED backlit is NOT the way to go. DO NOT get an LED TV for your uses, you will get a far better TV if you get a conventionally lit LCD, not an LED backlit one.

Panel>>>>>Backlighting, and currently LED backlighting is more expensive to produce than traditional CCFL, so for the same price you are getting a worse panel for what is arguably not an improvement in overall image quality if you go edge-lit LED.

Also, I really don't like LED. If you're a fan of watching movies or playing games in the dark, then the light bleeds into the image. I know that sometimes this can happen with LCD, but it's very slight and a lot of the time it's the fault of the manufacturer. It's more common with LED.

ReputationRep:
          Ok so LCD is probably best then, but i have chosen two TV's to choose from; one LED and one LCD, both based around the same budget.

Its this:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung...29590-pdt.html

Vs this:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...7C19878730.htm

Which one shall i go for?

ReputationRep:
          Bump.
          • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
          the lcd

ReputationRep:
          the lcd
          ok thanks, ima go for the LCD

thanks for all the replys by the way.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by llpokermuffinll)
          You've never heard of Bush?

They were one of the biggest British manufacturers of all time.

Even after they went bust in the 80s and the brand was bought out by Vestel, they still remained one of the biggest brand names worldwide! Europe in particular.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.