Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boyfriend brings another girl - WTF!? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what everyone is on about. Plenty of people go on breaks. I went on a break with my boyfriend of 3 years for 2 weeks because we were just stressing each other out over something temporary and we knew if we gave each other some space it would work out fine which it did. And it made things much better in the long run. I think its terrible that a week later hes with another girl. In a week, hes managed to : get over a 2 year relationship emotionally, meet another girl, be attracted to her and find out she is attracted to him, get to know her sufficiently well enough to get to the girlfriend stage, and ask her out all in one week. Thats not normal. OP , you are far better off without him.

ReputationRep:
    Ross Geller:"YOU WERE OOOON AAA BREEEAAAAKK!!"

Trainer Tip: Instead of going on breaks just ask for some space. That way you won't get thoroughly OWNED by your dik'hed BF!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Violet Hill)
    I'll keep this short, I'm coming back from a christmas dinner with my group of friends and am FUMING!

3 weeks ago my boyfriend and I went on a break, I initiated it because I was having a tough time personally and I didn't want to put any strain on him or the relationship so thought it would be best to keep my distance. We've been together for 2 years, when I asked for a break he was quite disappointed and quietly accepted. After that he wasn't really keeping in contact much but I thought he is giving me the space I asked for.

I texted him every other week just for a quick hi and ask how he's doing, he'd always reply with something like "yeah cool thanks, hope you're well x" and that's all the contact we've had.

Today we were all getting together for a christmas dinner and he brings another girl with him :mad: I was so confused, it turned out some of our friends already knew her and it was common knowledge that he's with her

First I was just wondering what's going on, he said hello to me in a normal way, smiled and went about his way very normally. Then we all sat down and he had her arm around her and she whispering in his ear giggling. I finally caught on that he's WITH HER and called him to the side and confronted him.

He was shocked that I was angry and said he thought we had broken up :confused: and that he's been dating her for 2 weeks now. I started crying and he kept asking what's wrong, and I told him that we were on a break not broken up!!!! He kept denying it and said I had broken up with HIM! I told him I was meaning to take him back soon after and he said that's bull **** and he doesn't believe in this 'break' stuff.

He apologised that it upset me and said he'll go to let me enjoy with my friends instead of having an uncomfortable atmosphere, so he left and texted me saying "really sorry, I had no idea but seems like we're on different pages now. Sorry, tc x"

I'm honestly just shocked to the core, like WTF!? Here I was thinking I still have my boyfriend of 2 years by my side and all this time he's been with another girl...I can't believe he thought we were over!!!

I really need some advice now, how do I approach this? Was I in the wrong did I do something wrong???
    You'll probably just rage, but tbh you brought this on yourself. "breaks" do not work. And to a lot of guys it just means you're being dumped. Breaks are code for "I feel harsh breaking up with you, or I can't quite bring myself to break up so lets say we're on a break then waste away over the next couple of weeks / months then see other people." like it or not thats true 90% of the time.

Only fault he had was not warning you he was with someone else, but he probably assumed you heard it through the grapevine. Shouldn't have let him go in the first place, just seems like you were being dramatic and it backfired.

ReputationRep:
    You called for a break after 2 years? So basically you got bored and wanted to re-assess your options; test the waters for something better, all the while him clinging on to you.

You stuck with twenty and he got 21. Shame.

ReputationRep:
    **** happens, I dont blame the guy since he clearly thought you had broken up although it wasnt cool bringing the girl to the party after a couple of weeks. Also if you were on a "break" then an sms every 2 weeks seems like slightly little to me no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    It's like J.D and Elliot, none of your Friends rubbish
    You know it! :five:

But in all honesty, if you made it clear that you guys were on a break then he should have respected that.

ReputationRep:
    That was his chance, he took it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    From my experience, breaks NEVER end well. :s

They always end in the couple splitting up.
    That's because most relationships are desperate and neurotic, pretty much whether you fancy them or not.

ReputationRep:
    Going on a 'break' is basically a obsessive person saying 'I don't want to date you for the time being, but I don't want you dating any one else.' Do you realise how possessive you sound? How long does he have to wait until you're ready to go back to him? 1 month? 2 months? A year? If I was him I would have done the exact same, regardless of whether I correctly understood the term 'break' or not.

ReputationRep:
    I think you had a lucky escape tbh. Regardless of whether he actually believed it was a full on break up or not, you were together for two years and he's already with someone new.. It's not exactly a good sign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura_j90)
    I think you had a lucky escape tbh. Regardless of whether he actually believed it was a full on break up or not, you were together for two years and he's already with someone new.. It's not exactly a good sign.
    He might have thought she broke up with him so she could be with another guy/guys and he just thought he'd try and get a bit of payback. Quite a lot of girls have a few guys lined up for when they break up with their bf, its a shame really.

ReputationRep:
    To most people a 'break' is a pleasant way of breaking up, he may have interpreted it in that way.

You can't just leave and take him back whenever you want, you can't expect him to wait around having his future love life in the hands of another person.

He met a girl he liked and that's that, he took his opportunity.

My concern would be how he's managed to get with her only a week after the break up. He's either able to play the game at warp speed or (more likely) he's been casually involved/flirting with this girl for a while during your relationship.

ReputationRep:
    You could easily have turned round to him with boyfriend round your neck claiming that you'd broke up. It's your own fault, but then sounds like it was never meant to be if your bf of 2 years moves on so quick, and that you'd need a break from each other, you're meant to help each other through things, but whatever get over it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    "Ex-boyfriend who I broke up with brings another girl - WTF!?"

I think she gets it, now STFU! with the it's your fault, if someone told me they wanted a "break" I would think that's it, BLAH BLAH! SHUT UP people, she gets she did wrong, all you can do is tell her how to rectify that mistake if she can.

He is an utter PRICK, cause 2 weeks later he brings another girl along, sheesh! I would say forget him.

ReputationRep:
    It seems you didnt really explain this break thing to him fully if he took away from it you guys have broken up.
    Though he seems to have gotten over very quickly getting a new girlfriend within a week (after being with you for 2 years) which If I was you may be a bit of a worrying sign if your thinking 'how can I get him back'.

If I were you, I would talk to him..whats done is done but just clarfiy and explain why you asked for a break and why you wanted some time to yourself and how you feel and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    I'll keep this short, I'm coming back from a christmas dinner with my group of friends and am FUMING!

3 weeks ago my boyfriend and I went on a break, I initiated it because I was having a tough time personally and I didn't want to put any strain on him or the relationship so thought it would be best to keep my distance. We've been together for 2 years, when I asked for a break he was quite disappointed and quietly accepted. After that he wasn't really keeping in contact much but I thought he is giving me the space I asked for.

I texted him every other week just for a quick hi and ask how he's doing, he'd always reply with something like "yeah cool thanks, hope you're well x" and that's all the contact we've had.

Today we were all getting together for a christmas dinner and he brings another girl with him :mad: I was so confused, it turned out some of our friends already knew her and it was common knowledge that he's with her

First I was just wondering what's going on, he said hello to me in a normal way, smiled and went about his way very normally. Then we all sat down and he had her arm around her and she whispering in his ear giggling. I finally caught on that he's WITH HER and called him to the side and confronted him.

He was shocked that I was angry and said he thought we had broken up :confused: and that he's been dating her for 2 weeks now. I started crying and he kept asking what's wrong, and I told him that we were on a break not broken up!!!! He kept denying it and said I had broken up with HIM! I told him I was meaning to take him back soon after and he said that's bull **** and he doesn't believe in this 'break' stuff.

He apologised that it upset me and said he'll go to let me enjoy with my friends instead of having an uncomfortable atmosphere, so he left and texted me saying "really sorry, I had no idea but seems like we're on different pages now. Sorry, tc x"

I'm honestly just shocked to the core, like WTF!? Here I was thinking I still have my boyfriend of 2 years by my side and all this time he's been with another girl...I can't believe he thought we were over!!!

I really need some advice now, how do I approach this? Was I in the wrong did I do something wrong???
    Gosh i feel so angry at him for you (if that makes sense ) I can't believe he would do that! Feel free to PM me if you just want someone to talk to...hope things work out for you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Innuendo_anonymous)
    He might have thought she broke up with him so she could be with another guy/guys and he just thought he'd try and get a bit of payback. Quite a lot of girls have a few guys lined up for when they break up with their bf, its a shame really.
    That's a fair point, still he kind of has a nerve bringing the other girl so soon after the break/ break up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    I don't know what everyone is on about. Plenty of people go on breaks. I went on a break with my boyfriend of 3 years for 2 weeks because we were just stressing each other out over something temporary and we knew if we gave each other some space it would work out fine which it did. And it made things much better in the long run. I think its terrible that a week later hes with another girl. In a week, hes managed to : get over a 2 year relationship emotionally, meet another girl, be attracted to her and find out she is attracted to him, get to know her sufficiently well enough to get to the girlfriend stage, and ask her out all in one week. Thats not normal. OP , you are far better off without him.
    Or maybe your boyfriend is a mug and a ***** whereas the OPs ex has some balls.

ReputationRep:
    I think that both of you are to blame really. If my boyfriend of 2 years told me that he wanted a break due to personal issues I'd feel as though he doesn't want me properly in his life. He's a companion so if he cut me off and didn't want me to help him I'd be pretty upset.

However, your boyfriend shouldn't have reacted the way he did. I can understand the vague texts, he's probably hurt. Maybe the new girlfriend is just to get back at you but it's totally insensitive as you've got these issues.

Tbh it doesn't sound like your relationship was very strong :/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.