Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Online relationships sad? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    I only find it sad that people in online relationships can't see each other, that must be hard.

ReputationRep:
    Not worth it so don't bother.
    • Section Leader
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest that you seriously consider it before entering into any sort of relationship with this person. If you haven't already then I would consider confirming who he actually is, make sure that you have at least spoken to him via webcam as this should show you that he is not considerably older than he says he is.

Do you have any plans to meet? I would seriously consider waiting until you meet someone before you start any sort of relationship because you could quite easily lack the chemistry that you have online in real life. While it obviously quite difficult when you are living on different sides of the Atlantic I think that you really need to have some plan to meet up before you start anything too serious.

I do think that long distance relationships can work but they hard and I think that you should seriously consider whether this is something that could have long time prospects and whether it could be worth the potential heartache associated with them.

Have you spoken to him about what he would want from this relationship?

I don't know, are you sure he's genuine? Have you spoken to each other on webcam? I don't think it's wise to become someone's boyfriend solely online, as there physical intimacy isn't there so I don't know how that could work. If you could at least arrange a way to meet up in one of your countries, that could be a start? Make sure to follow safety precautions, such as taking a sensible friend or family member, and meeting up in a busy public place. In fact, maybe you could ask your family if you could all go on holiday to the USA? Just an idea. But then again, if neither of you plan to live in the same country, I'm not sure a real relationship could work, sorry to say.

Also, I have a similar problem and made a thread about it recently, if you want a look for similar responses: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=29022801

Anyway, my story is that, like you, I've also known a guy online who lives in another country, but only for a couple of months so far. We both told each other that if we did live near each other, we'd become a couple. But as it stands, that is obviously impractical, and I do feel sad about that as I quite fancy him (and he fancies me too). But it's still nice to chat to him as friends at least. And if I chance did come up that I could meet him, I'd take it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.