Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trophy Hunting, Moral/Ethical Concerns? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 66CC99)
    It's just discrimination and I can't wait until enlightenment happens and people cast off their discrimination and become more clever.
    I sense hypocrisy! We're animals, right? Other animals eat animals, therefore, if we're going with your equal rights for all animals argument, then we can eat animals too, right? Okay, other animals hunt other animals, therefore, we too can hunt other animals, right? A LOT of animals hunt and then don't eat/barely eat any of their caught - and now dead - prey, then we can too, right? Or are you saying we can't?? ZOMG discrimination!!

(Original post by Boobies.)
    Its the same thing :L
    Killing an animal is killing an animal, whether farmed or hunted.
    No Boobies, it's really, really not. Watch a documentary on the meat industry, I beg of you! Look at the conditions animals are kept in for two years of their life until they're large enough to be slaughtered, then look at the natural lives hunted animals live, we're talking, comparably, battery farm hen vs wild grouse in the scottish highlands, and I'm not even exaggerating the difference!!

My point is that you can't justify killing a deer with you needing to eat it (unless you can't afford meat in which case.. eat veg) because you're not going to starve. There's loads of meat already dead in the supermarket, Why kill more?
    Supply and demand, darling, supply and demand. The more hunters buy from the supermarket, the more animals are killed and sold to the supermarket, only - when talking edible animals - a lot more meat is unused on the whole and therefore a lot more animals are needlessly killed. Thus hunting is more efficient, so telling people to buy from supermarkets instead of hunting is pretty illogical...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Because it is inhumane.
    So because im not, a weeping heart every time I see an animal die, im ethically void?
    What im doing is a farsight more humane, than buying one from the supermarket.

Are you of the opinions animals have equal rights to humans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
    So because im not, a weeping heart every time I see an animal die, im ethically void?
    What im doing is a farsight more humane, than buying one from the supermarket.

Are you of the opinions animals have equal rights to humans?
    Wow, you really are a moron. It seems you only see in black and white (which is kind of ironic considering the nature of the argument). Animals have rights yes, not equal with humans and rights none the less. You are morally reprehensible and there should be laws to put people like you in their place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisnew)

If he can take out an Orca with a bow then frankly the man is Herakles.

Trophy Hunting is when you hunt an animal, for the head/horns/tusks , it's exactly as the name describes hunting for the purpose to make the Animal a Trophy to testify to the kill.

I don't really think hunting "for food" can really be acceptable in the West, since none of us "need" to do it.

Unless you mean, it's ok to hunt "as long as you use it, for food?"
    When i first saw your thread title i thought - if he thinks hunting is going to africa, getting in an armoured jeep and getting driven to within ten feet of a gazelle before unloading a ridiculously over powered rifle into its skull - hes a numpty. My opinion is unique to others in two ways

1. Im from the west of Ireland.
    2. I do archery myself.

In Ireland it is considered perfectly normal to shoot animals and go out shooting. Nearly every househould in the country side has a shotgun or a rifle for the purposes of doing so. Hunting is very much a cultural thing, in the UK some people regard those who hunt as one step up from a rapist. In the states the only complaint they would have is that your weapon of choice doesnt make a loud bang (joke)

That being said I do traditional archery so I use long and recurve bows, your pic with the compound, sight, finger release, and all the little doodads you have there i'd regard almost as "cheating"

Which is the excuse all hunters use.

Do you carry out assessments of how many animals there are, what number of the species would give an optimal benefit to the area, and therefore how many should be killed, before you go hunting?

Its fine saying 'I'm controlling the population' when really there may not be enough to provide optimal benefit to begin with, or you may kill more than is useful.

Trophy hunters have led many species to being endangered. Not really controlling a population as the process is haphazard and no judgement is carried out on what is control, and what is depleting.
    he has already stated that he does, he doesnt hunt in an area or a speices that is even rumoured to be endangered.

Wow, you really are a moron. It seems you only see in black and white (which is kind of ironic considering the nature of the argument). Animals have rights yes, not equal with humans and rights none the less. You are morally reprehensible and there should be laws to put people like you in their place.
    if he said aha im going to hunt the last wild tiger deliberatly into extinction then yes i could agree with you. This whole arguement is purely cultural in nature and both sides have thier merits. I do not condone the hunting of endangered animals however hunting Im niether for nor against. Traditional fox hunting Im against sitting on a horse back while the dogs do all the work i dont agree with going out and actively hunting and stalking and pitting skill against skill thats different.

And what laws incidently would you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    See you keep on harping on , the same old tune about how morally reprehensible I am, yet you give no explanation as to "why".
    How is me shooting an animal, which has usually lived a good long life in the wild, giving it an instant death or at the worst a minute of suffering.

Worse than

Raising an animal in complete captivity with horrible living conditions, no room to move or graze, then after a mere two years into there life, slaughtering them.

Saying something loud enough and long enough doesn't make it true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    That being said I do traditional archery so I use long and recurve bows, your pic with the compound, sight, finger release, and all the little doodads you have there i'd regard almost as "cheating"
    I have hunted Re-curve quite a bit, but the only pictures I had were compound.

Yes I agree , there cheating, however the punch they pack is phenomenal, and when trying to take down something as big as a Oryx I want the higher chance of getting a clean kill.

If im in a local field taking down Rabbits, or even in the states hunting a bow Ill use either.

However as a Recurve who used to swear he would never touch a Compound..the dark side is very alluring..

ReputationRep:
    How is me shooting an animal, which has usually lived a good long life in the wild, giving it an instant death or at the worst a minute of suffering.
    Which you are then ending :facebook:

And how in any way are you able to judge whether the animal has had a 'good long life'? Do you talk to the animals? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Which you are then ending :facebook:

And how in any way are you able to judge whether the animal has had a 'good long life'? Do you talk to the animals? :rolleyes:
    Only my Dog.

However any hunter worth his salt can estimate the age of an animal from looking at it.

There standard of living has "undoubtedly" been better than any farm raised or meat industry livestock

The ignorant sarcasm is appreciated though, it strengthens your argument immeasurably.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.