Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What if you are an awful person? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen)
    SPOT ON

Cuckoo are you a psychology junkie like me? I agree with all you have said I definitely believe OP has definitely has low self esteem and a distorted self image also I feel OP has been having identity conflicts, the need to be passive and people please is often a 'mask' worn by people who haven't learnt to love themselves or have been taught not to love themselves so they assume they can fill that gap by making other people like themselves however once thing they fail to realise is this can only be gotten from within.

When I was mentoring I remember sitting with someone and wanting to shake some self esteem into them and to allow them to realise that the world is much bigger and has alot more to offer them than the mental battle they are in, however it's never that easy is it? Because some of these ideas have been implanted so deep and so long in the individual's sub concious mind they aren't even aware it exists.

I don't know OP but I recommend self esteem/ assertive group classes and therapy and a lot of new positive affirmations and self exploration.
    I wouldn't say I'm a psychology junkie.. I just end up trying to analyse people when I'm bored.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    This is almost exactly how I feel sometimes actually.

I have a very strong personality. I think if you asked someone whether I was passive or tried hard to please they would definately say no.

The problem is like.. some aspects of my personality make me feel really bad. I don't think I am imagining them, or that it is how other people make me feel. I just am.. there is something bad.
    I don't mind being eccentric (which I am), but I don't want to be annoying. I don't want other people to have to put up with me.
    And I don't want to be rude, or cruel. The worst thing is that I am cruel. The things I think of that I could say to people. I can make people laugh, it's the best thing about me. I'm always trying to be funny, making people laugh makes me feel good, but then I'll say something at the expense of someone.. and I just feel so guilty.
    I'm a manipulative kind of person as well. Sometimes I think even my feelings are just part of some grand narcissistic manipulation.

My friends seem like angels compared to me.

I can't find the right balance between being a pleasant person, and being myself and kind of interesting. I don't want to just abandon being nice.. god knows what I'd be like.
    That's great OP, I understand what you're saying. I'm not really one for giving much advice so I recommend maybe trying to book in to see a school counsellor or a psychologist. It seems like you're struggling to resolve these issues and there's no harm in asking for help, as I'm sure your way of life will drastically improve once you begin fixing these problems. You never know, maybe your cat will start paying attention to you again .

Anyway feel free to PM me or what ever if you need someone to talk to.

ReputationRep:
    Then Santa doesn't give you presents.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.