Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Kindle and other E-book readers discussion. Watch

ReputationRep:
    i'm pretty pissed off with it atm- I can hardly find any foreign language books. the naked lunch also isn't there

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to buy a Kindle in the morning.

I've rekindled my love for reading. I like it, but I struggle to focus, so the New Year's Resolution is to read more

And with the help of eBooks (via unconventional means) I'll be able to get lots of good books without paying really good prices. (Obviously the free books that are now out of copyright )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daveywavey)
    I got an Amazon kindle e-book reader for Christmas yesterday and whilst I can see the advantages of reading an actual book, I must say I'm hooked on my e-book reader! You can buy all of Jane Austen's novels for 79p and Thomas Hardy's collection of 20 books for only 69p! I can't believe what a bargain it is!

Who else has an e-book reader? And what books have you read off them? Do you prefer it to reading an actual book? I am currently halfway through reading Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

I love the fact that you can add notes and highlight certain parts of the text!
    I have a NOOK which is a Barnes and Nobel version of the E- Reader. I absolutely love it. They also allow you to lend books to one another over the internet for 14 days which is really great! I really like the highlight/ notes/ dictionary search options! The only thing is that I still really like REAL books. So if I like a book enough on the Nook I will go out and buy the book used to have it on my bookshelf. Crazy no? Lol... Hope you keep enjoying the E reader.

ReputationRep:
    My 3G Kindle is arriving on January 4th according to Amazon. HURRY UP HURRY UP HURRY UP All the free books on the amazon website, plus all the various ebook PDFs on my computer that I've never gotten around to reading, are making me so excited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    Sorry, I realised I didn't make myself very clear. I meant as in if I just wanted to create a new note, without it being "attached" to a book as such, is that possible? Thanks a lot for your help!
    Oh I seeee! Sorry for the misunderstanding.

That I'm not too sure on. There is bound to be a way of doing so, but I'll have to look in to that.

ReputationRep:
    My Kindle arrived half an hour ago and I already love it :love:

It's not like reading from a screen at all, the only reason to notice that it's electronic paper is that there's a screen refresh on page turn and the screen's smaller than a normal book. It doesn't feel plasticky or clunky at all and is incredibly thin and light. I bought a cover to go with mine which means you can hold it like a real book and when the cover is closed the whole thing is no bigger than a regular paperback but holds a whole library - amazing Only problem I can see having is splashing out too much on e-books, one-click ordering is a bit too easy ...

(Original post by ziedj)
    My 3G Kindle is arriving on January 4th according to Amazon. HURRY UP HURRY UP HURRY UP All the free books on the amazon website, plus all the various ebook PDFs on my computer that I've never gotten around to reading, are making me so excited
    Hope yours arrives on time and that you enjoy it! mine was a day late :rolleyes: but then we didn't get any post at all yesterday for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziedj)
    This! Except mine is wifi only and I don't have PDFs on my computer....where do I get some? I'm new to this stuff :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoghurt)
    Oh I seeee! Sorry for the misunderstanding.

That I'm not too sure on. There is bound to be a way of doing so, but I'll have to look in to that.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    Thanks!
    It appears this is possible. In a section called 'my clippings', where all saved highlights are put, you can type in notes seperate from the of the book.

However, the My Clippings section won't appear on the Menu until notes or highlights made in any book are made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Festina lente)
    My Kindle arrived half an hour ago and I already love it :love:

It's not like reading from a screen at all, the only reason to notice that it's electronic paper is that there's a screen refresh on page turn and the screen's smaller than a normal book. It doesn't feel plasticky or clunky at all and is incredibly thin and light. I bought a cover to go with mine which means you can hold it like a real book and when the cover is closed the whole thing is no bigger than a regular paperback but holds a whole library - amazing Only problem I can see having is splashing out too much on e-books, one-click ordering is a bit too easy ...

Hope yours arrives on time and that you enjoy it! mine was a day late :rolleyes: but then we didn't get any post at all yesterday for some reason.
    Thanks!

Yeah I also got this leather case:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Leath...26277&sr=1-190

I didn't fancy spending £50 on the really fancy one with a light, especially having spent £40 more for the 3G version (I spend at least 2 months every year abroad, so the free internet in any country thing is actually worth it for me :P), but this one still looks really nice and professional methinks

ReputationRep:
    Kindle ftw. :borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziedj)
    Thanks!

Yeah I also got this leather case:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Leath...26277&sr=1-190

I didn't fancy spending £50 on the really fancy one with a light, especially having spent £40 more for the 3G version (I spend at least 2 months every year abroad, so the free internet in any country thing is actually worth it for me :P), but this one still looks really nice and professional methinks
    That is very smart, especially with the clip. I have an Amazon one in red and it's also smart, but slightly odd the way it fastens with a bit of elastic!

ReputationRep:
    I got a neoprene case for mine from the pound shop!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magical Moogles)
    I was considering a Kindle for christmas, but when I checked the e-book store, they had none, and i mean NONE of the books I was going to buy. Other e-book stores had a better book selection (for me) but I'm not sure if you can transfer the books on the kindle from other e-book stores (if you can, is it legal?).

I really thought the Kindle was a good idea, but whats the point, if there aren't any books that i will buy?

- Ursula Le Guin and her Earthsea Series (they have her new books though)
    - Where the **** is the Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake, it's considered a classic.
    - Robin Hobb is an international best seller...but they only have her latest series... :cry2:
    - Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay
    - Where has Brandon Sanderson gone? They just have his newest book, but I want to read his Mistborn Series.
    - George R.R. Martin? Raymond E Feist?

Thankfully they have Steven Erikson, Terry Pratchett and of course Lord of the Rings. But thats not good enough!

I can go on...I love reading Fantasy as you might of guessed, but Amazon are seriously lacking in this genre (or perhaps this extends to other genres as well)
    many authors / publishers dont like releasing books in ebook formats for fear of pirates (yarr). So if you want to read an unavailable book and can't purchase it you'll just have to... pirate it.

ReputationRep:
    I got the Kindle for Christmas, and I absolutely love it! The fact that you can store thousands and thousands of books on it is fascinating! It will be amazing for when I go on holiday, because I used to have to take about 10 books with me (baggage costs were a nightmare) but now I can just take my Kindle and not even worry about the battery running down, as it lasts for ages.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vmSKGtm1Os

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daveywavey)
    I got an Amazon kindle e-book reader for Christmas yesterday and whilst I can see the advantages of reading an actual book, I must say I'm hooked on my e-book reader! You can buy all of Jane Austen's novels for 79p and Thomas Hardy's collection of 20 books for only 69p! I can't believe what a bargain it is!

Who else has an e-book reader? And what books have you read off them? Do you prefer it to reading an actual book? I am currently halfway through reading Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

I love the fact that you can add notes and highlight certain parts of the text!
    Haha you idiot, books over 75 years are legally free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magical Moogles)
    I was considering a Kindle for christmas, but when I checked the e-book store, they had none, and i mean NONE of the books I was going to buy. Other e-book stores had a better book selection (for me) but I'm not sure if you can transfer the books on the kindle from other e-book stores (if you can, is it legal?).

I really thought the Kindle was a good idea, but whats the point, if there aren't any books that i will buy?

- Ursula Le Guin and her Earthsea Series (they have her new books though)
    - Where the **** is the Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake, it's considered a classic.
    - Robin Hobb is an international best seller...but they only have her latest series... :cry2:
    - Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay
    - Where has Brandon Sanderson gone? They just have his newest book, but I want to read his Mistborn Series.
    - George R.R. Martin? Raymond E Feist?

Thankfully they have Steven Erikson, Terry Pratchett and of course Lord of the Rings. But thats not good enough!

I can go on...I love reading Fantasy as you might of guessed, but Amazon are seriously lacking in this genre (or perhaps this extends to other genres as well)
    Sometimes you can convert e-books from one format to another - I am using Calibre to convert word documents to a format the Kindle can read. However I'm not sure this works with books which are copyright protected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talon1579)
    Haha you idiot, books over 75 years are legally free.
    Although you can get free copies, it is sometimes worth paying a small fee for proper Kindle formatting (including chapters and tables of contents), conversion checking etc. so that you don't get annoying typos and formatting bugs. I'm looking for free editions of the classics first, but would "upgrade" if I didn't think the quality was up to scratch.

ReputationRep:
    I have been considering purchasing the Kindle 3 for quite some time now. I am not an avid book reader as such but do enjoy reading. What puts me off paperbacks is that the font is small on lots of books and my eyes get strained and sore easily.

There are two things currently concerning me, or else I would have ordered it by now. I don't want to buy it now and a few months later see that there is a Kindle 4 out, and also, some books are much more expensive on the kindle than if you were to buy the paperback. But I suppose for this problem I could just purchase the paperback and sell it on.

Have you got a kindle?
    Has it made you read more?
    Is it worth it?

I am thinking of just buying the wifi one as I don't travel, and I have wifi in the house and the dictionary is built in to the kindle anyway, so I could just download books beforehand anyway.

I'd really appreciate any help! I know £100 isn't too much, but still.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.