Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to teach myself to write left handed? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Have a Rocky Balboa work-out montage, works for everything

ReputationRep:
    Tried doing the complete opposite in primary school, my already horrible handwriting actually got a lot worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ish90an)
    Tried doing the complete opposite in primary school, my already horrible handwriting actually got a lot worse.
    Really? Did you manage to fix it?

ReputationRep:
    Practice makes a man/woman perfect !

ReputationRep:
    I taught myself to kick with my left foot better than my right, so why not?

ReputationRep:
    whats the point? Isnt your right hand good enough eh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilzoldier)
    whats the point? Isnt your right hand good enough eh!
    :lol: I dunno, I just thought it'd be a cool thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    I did this last year, and can now write perfectly with either hand (although the right is still the hand I use naturally if I write without thinking about it). It took me a couple of months to be able to write at the optimum speed for lecture purposes, and then a little longer for it to be as neat as my right hand.. but I'm there now! There's nothing secret about it- it's just good old practice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    I did this last year, and can now write perfectly with either hand (although the right is still the hand I use naturally if I write without thinking about it). It took me a couple of months to be able to write at the optimum speed for lecture purposes, and then a little longer for it to be as neat as my right hand.. but I'm there now! There's nothing secret about it- it's just good old practice!
    So you managed it? Any tips on how to practice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    So you managed it? Any tips on how to practice?
    Just write, write and write some more! It's all down to practice, seriously. Also, do you remember when you were in school and just learning to write? And you had those big lines to write between? Try practicing each letter of the alphabet over and over again like that.

I didn't bother with that, though.

ReputationRep:
    Really? Did you manage to fix it?
    With a lot of practice and writing very slowly, yes.

ReputationRep:
    So why exactly were your parents against you being left handed?
    No idea :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Cut off your right hand. What choice would you have?

ReputationRep:
    I am left handed myself and tryed to write with my right hand, i guess its the same thing. To practise, instead of using paper i used a white board (that way i didn't have to use up lots of paper) I started copying letters and then moved onto the basic words like "and", "the", "was" and then once i started to master them I tryed bigger words like "because" and "however" soon I was able to put basic sentances together using my right hand. Its simple once you get the hang of it. Practise makes Perfict
    Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    It's not actually a good idea. Forcing yourself to write with the hand that you're not meant to, unless you're ambidextrous, can result in the development of a stammer. Or at least, so I've heard from several sources.

(Original post by d123)
      It's not actually a good idea. Forcing yourself to write with the hand that you're not meant to, unless you're ambidextrous, can result in the development of a stammer. Or at least, so I've heard from several sources.
      I would like proof of these sources. I'm curious.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Genocidal)
      I would like proof of these sources. I'm curious.
      It's a fair question, but I can't actually remember where I read it. I have a feeling that I read it somewhere (in a paper, or a biology textbook or something) and then asked my mum, and she said that it happened both to her and to her dad. Clearly from reading some other replies it isn't something that happens in all cases though. I'll try and find a source for it if I can, but seeing as I can't remember any of the places where I read it I might not be able to find one. I'll do my best though!

And if I'm wrong, then I'm sorry.

ReputationRep:
      Just practice and it gets easier with time.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
      I was forced to after I shattered my right arm.

So, bandage the crap out of your right to make it unusable, then be forced to do schoolwork.
      So you can still write well with your left arm now? Do you ever still do it and is it helpful?

I'm thinking of learning to do it too. I'm sure it could be useful in some situations, like when my right hand hurts from writing too much in an exam. :p:

ReputationRep:
      There are at least a million better things to spend your time doing.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.