Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WTF is with the desire to make everyone smell nice? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    But they did, that's why I'm so bemused about this gift - they know I can't use it...
    In that case, it was a stupid and thoughtless present and words need to be had with the bearers of ill effect causing gifts.

ReputationRep:
    Allergic to soap? Don't like chocolate?

I bet you hate puppies too...

(Original post by Something_Ironic)
    Allergic to soap? Don't like chocolate?

I bet you hate puppies too...
    Allergic to dogs. I'm not allergic to all soaps, just the artificially fragranced ones.

ReputationRep:
    But they know I have a lot of allergies - why on earth would they think it was an appropriate gift?
    Well they're not that good friends if they didn't realise you'd get a reaction from them!!

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to have some nice shower gels, soaps and creams but I didn't get anything Good smelling soaps make the whole "shower experience" fun. But about your problem, I have no idea why they bought them even though they knew you couldn't use them.

ReputationRep:
    dont you sound like a barrel of laughs you boring, ingrateful dullard.

ReputationRep:
    I just stink because I only shower twice a week, my family tell me when I stink though shows a lot of consideration for them to do that.

ReputationRep:
    I can understand that it would be upsetting to get something that doesn't seem very considerate - my favourite presents are the ones that may not be the 'best' in most people's eyes but the ones that fit me completely, like my parents got me a book I've wanted for ages. Those are always nicer than something that you either don't really like, or really can't use, like in this case.

However, I really doubt it was malicious. They may have forgotten about your allergies, or have been trying to get you something nice and just not thought about it. Also, if you don't like chocolate either that can make it hard to buy for someone, especially if you don't know what they've already got - I know for friends I prefer to get them chocolate as opposed to books or dvds, because although the latter may suit them more, I have no way of knowing whether they already have the book/dvd, without asking them first.

ReputationRep:
    Fragrances are awesome. It's like the finishing touch once you're dressed after a shower.

Op: i guess smelling nice is 'pleasant'? Pleasant = good.
    It's an entire sense that actually provides a lot more information that you'd think think, just as important as looking good visually imo.

Dont read too much in to getting fragrances for Christmas. It's pretty normal.

ReputationRep:
    I'm female, for a start. What guy gets perfume for Christmas?
    I do. Every year. Why buy my £60 Chanel when I can get it in place of a more useless present?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    I just stink because I only shower twice a week, my family tell me when I stink though shows a lot of consideration for them to do that.
    So why not shower more often? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    So why not shower more often? :dontknow:
    I do lol I was joking.

ReputationRep:
    I do lol I was joking.
    lol good :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Well because then everyone would smell nice, and it would thus be nice when you smelled them, accidentally or on purpose. Whats wrong with that?

(Original post by Joker370)
    Well because then everyone would smell nice, and it would thus be nice when you smelled them, accidentally or on purpose. Whats wrong with that?
    Because it brings me out in hives, that's my problem with getting given smell-y stuff for Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    Ah i see, i was just pointing out potential motivation for the desire to make everyone smell nice. unlucky though, youre like my mum she can only wear about 1 in 20 perfumes cos of an insane amount of allergies

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.
    At least you got something especially perfume.
    You're overthinking of something so small.
    Honestly i'd be happy to get a perfume especially if the bottles looks classy. (I collect perfumes )

ReputationRep:
    It's not everyone. It's just you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    Oh dear.
    At least you got something especially perfume.
    You're overthinking of something so small.
    Honestly i'd be happy to get a perfume especially if the bottles looks classy. (I collect perfumes )
    why do women like to collect perfume bottles:hmmm: my dads wife does it as well I asked her why she does it and she couldn't give me a straight answer

ReputationRep:
    why do women like to collect perfume bottles:hmmm: my dads wife does it as well I asked her why she does it and she couldn't give me a straight answer
    I don't just collect the bottle, i collect the perfume itself. I have tons but i haven't even opened any of it. Maybe she likes to keep it because it looks classy?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.