Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How will having a mild-moderate stutter affect my future? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    Firstly, the OP asked for everyone's opinion by creating this thread, you're not a moderator and have no right to tell anyone else not to post just because you don't agree with it, that's life, you're not going to like all the flavours of it, get used to it.

Actually, I have posted some useful information above if you care to look, which is based on fact, not speculated opinion like Boobies has done. I originally posted my opinion which can't be negated unfortunately for you , and I am well within my right to do so, please stop trying to dissuade me, or others from posting because I won't. I've seen many presentations from different people due to the sector I work in, hence my original post.

This is about bringing together information that could help this guy, and when I try to help him by showing that there are things that can help him, I am accused of being negative!

Lastly, I hardly think anyone' life has been affected by posts on this forum, never mind my posts on this thread, that would be worrying if true. I think you're being a bit over-dramatic about the whole thing and need to calm down.
    Yes, the OP did ask for everyone's opinion, I haven't told you not to post yours, I've disagreed with yours.
    I'm afraid you'll just have to accept that not everyone agrees with you

Well, if you think confirming his/her belief that he needs/should change how he talks isn't going to affect him/her, then I think you need to have a think about how good you are at assessing the consequences of your actions and words.

Lastly, your information simply shows that people can 'recover' from their stammer naturally or through blocking. Neither of which have been disputed.

It is people like you who make people with stammers (including myself for a time) think we need to change.

Edit: Which, by the way, is a negative thing to do. No one is accussing- you are being negative about something that really does not matter.

I don't like arguing on here but my entire life has been spent with people mimicking how I speak, suggesting therapy, patronising me thinking I'm an idiot when I can't get a word out. So I spend a great deal of time trying to show people that a stammer is nothing to be ashamed of. It's not your fault- you really don't have any personal experience because you don't stammer, so I apologise for being blunt with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mapulet)
    Yes, the OP did ask for everyone's opinion, I haven't told you not to post yours, I've disagreed with yours.
    I'm afraid you'll just have to accept that not everyone agrees with you

Well, if you think confirming his/her belief that he needs/should change how he talks isn't going to affect him/her, then I think you need to have a think about how good you are at assessing the consequences of your actions and words.

Lastly, your information simply shows that people can 'recover' from their stammer naturally or through blocking. Neither of which have been disputed.

It is people like you who make people with stammers (including myself for a time) think we need to change.
    I do accept that, and that's fine, which is why I won't be replying to your posts again. Thanks. Bye.

ReputationRep:
    I do accept that, and that's fine, which is why I won't be replying to your posts again. Thanks. Bye.
    Okay ^^ sorry if I've offended you.

Bye

ReputationRep:
    How very mature..
    Nothing that I have said has been incorrect.
    Check the British Stammering Association website.

(Original post by British Stammering Association)
    For both older children and adults who stammer, the situation is more complex. Modern therapy can help improve fluency, confidence and communication skills but as stammering is more established by this stage it becomes more a case of learning to manage it effectively. As well as speech and language therapy many people find self-help groups useful in this regard.

Is there a cure?
    While speech and language therapy can continue to make a positive difference in older children and adults, there is no magical 'cure' for stammering. See our article Is there a cure for stammering?
    Your 'facts' are regarding preschoolers.. as the OP does not fall into this category, your post was both useless and irrelevant, as evidently is your 'expertise' in this matter.

And the other point I made was that people with stammers are able give presentations confidently, and as we've already had evidence in this thread to support that, its clear that any objection to my claim is wrong.

Frankly you're extremely obtuse - arguing with someone who has a stammer about stammering? Jeez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    How very mature..

Your 'facts' are regarding preschoolers.. as the OP does not fall into this category, your post was both useless and irrelevant, as evidently is your 'expertise' in this matter.

And the other point I made was that people with stammers are able give presentations confidently, and as we've already had evidence in this thread to support that, its clear that any objection to my claim is wrong.

Frankly you're extremely obtuse - arguing with someone who has a stammer about stammering? Jeez.
    Agreed ^^

For everyone who has a stammer/or is interested in reading about the therapy available, the causes and the affect of a stammer on people, I've written an article here under the title ' stammering/stuttering'

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    How very mature..

It was relevant to refute your statement that no one can get rid of a* stammer.

ReputationRep:
    I'll back that (love your Katy Perry picture as well). My speech impediment is a hell of a lot better now than when I was a kid. But I've always been very good at presentations; to the point where I rely on a presentation to boost my marks in University.

To the OP, no it doesn't affect your chances to get a job. The world has enough problems without stammerers thinking they're a special case as well (such as this utter **** who thinks people with stammerers are disabled). Therefore never let a stammer get you down because the people you speak with don't really care how you say things, it's what you say that counts.

I'm not going to offer you any kind of advice as you need to find what works for you. But one thing I feel obliged to say is: speak with your hands. It helps me so ridiculously much that I can't explain it. My personal tutor noticed that when I went to him for advice, whenever I spoke with my hands I would speak fluently without a trace of a stammer. Whereas if I was speaking without my hands, I'd stammer occasionally (every few sentences - minor '****-ups' really).

Apparently new research has shed light on how the rhythmic movements with your hands aid stammering. God knows why - but if it's true it bloody makes sense (for me, anyway).

ReputationRep:
    thank u everyone for all the help.

i said before that there isnt a speech therapy centre near my area so ill hopefully start going to one when i go to uni (hopefully in canada)

ReputationRep:
    Im on the Bar Professional Training Course and I have a moderate stammer, yes it does impact on my advoacy but then again I work on ways to improve it. My advice is do what you want to and seek some professional help perhaps look up the Mcguire Programme its a speaking course for stammers which really does work. Also look on the BSA website there is a couple of articles I have written on stammering and legal practice

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.