Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslim and Jewish groups object to labelling of ritually slaughtered meat Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    They have a right to know as it can affect someones choice in the same way as labelling food as free range or not

ReputationRep:
    "If people are really concerned about animal welfare the rest of the journey of the animal [before slaughter] really needs to be looked at," he said.

Dudhwala said he would be happy for unstunned meat to be labelled if other meat carried the method of stunning used, such as gassing or electrocution, but believed that would never happen because it would be unpalatable for consumers."

True say.

This isn't about animal cruelty. It's xenophobia in another form. There are countless examples of animal cruelty done in the meat business that is not advertised. But because it's Muslim, this one example has to be stamped everywhere while the factory farming and the cruelty elsewhere is happily ignored.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

ReputationRep:
    people have the right to know exactly what they are putting in their bodies

anyone who tries to deny this can GTFO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccioJellyBean)
    "If you are only labelling meat provided for Muslims and Jews you are discriminating against Muslims and Jews," said Shimon Cohen, campaign director for Shechita UK." - UTTER BULL****. If it wasn't labelled he would complain. It is labelled so he's complaining. He's just trying to create a scene.

Really friggin pisses me off because out of all the stuff in life to whine about, picking that is just pathetic. If that's his biggest worry in love then he's damn lucky.

Gods saaaaaaake, I'm Jewish and I know loads of Jews who keep kosher and as far as I knew anyway kosher stuff has always been labelled :/ Just have a look at the Mrs Elswood pickled cucumbers! Srsly. This is so dumb.
    This. Jews who keep kosher anyway only eat the meat which is labelled as having been ritually slaughtered so I dont see that it will make any difference 2 them but they just love making a fuss. (Im Jewish 2 btw)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by professortobe)
    This. Jews who keep kosher anyway only eat the meat which is labelled as having been ritually slaughtered so I dont see that it will make any difference 2 them but they just love making a fuss. (Im Jewish 2 btw)
    Precisely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Article.

I don't see how anyone can object to the labelling of meat that will enable consumers to make an informed decision, based on their own beliefs.
    I think this is a fantastic idea let the consumer decide. I avoid meat prepared as part of a religious ceremony.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.