Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JesusIsMyHomeboy)
    If my surname was double barrelled, it'd be Patel-Patel so I'd sound like a right ****.
    Do I want to know why?

ReputationRep:
    My dad's side of the family have had one for four/five generations but I live in a council house in Manchester so it's not always an indicator of 'poshness' or pretentiousness.

ReputationRep:
    I rather like them, but it does automatically make me wonder if the person is posh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SergioMZ)
    -
    I always find it really interesting whenever cultural differences are highlighted. Having two surnames is common in Spain but less so in England (hence this thread ). I dont know if it is common in the Philippines but the couple I know also have two surnames, presumably from Hispanic influence. I actually have no surname, but that's a cultural thing as well. I like it this way too!

In response to the OP: I like the idea, and I find them fascinating. Although to be frank I've had more than enough of names like Pitt-Jolie but that's due to tabloid influence, not the concept of double-barreled surnames.

ReputationRep:
    They are quite a mouthful. (as Divine Brown said to Hugh Grant :sexface: OO-ER)

ReputationRep:
    I have a double-barrelled surname. So what ? Some people ask me like 'wow are you rich or something'

ReputationRep:
    I know someone from college with a quadruple-barelled name :lolwut:

I would post their name but I don't know if they're on here or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    They are quite a mouthful. (as Divine Brown said to Hugh Grant :sexface: OO-ER)
    How current :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I would love a double barrelled surname xD It just seems a lot more interesting! I don't associate them with posh/pretentious etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Do I want to know why?
    It's nothing bad It's just the whole Indian, arranged marriage, marry within caste shebang that my parents had to go through.

ReputationRep:
    My second name is Gilding-Hewitt, the instant assumption is that i must be posh. That assumption can have negative and positive reprocussions.

ReputationRep:
    My second name is Gilding-Hewitt, the instant assumption is that i must be posh. That assumption can have negative and positive reprocussions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.