Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many people can solve a Rubik's cube? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I can do the 3x3x3 one - I've never attempted the others but it's probably safe to say I couldn't.
    I was taught how to do it - once you now what to do it's quite simple. It's just remembering how to do it in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I can solve a 3x3x3 Rubik's cube (mainly because I just went on the internet and just memorised the method).
    But otherwise, I figured out how to complete two layers of a 3x3x3 of my own accord, with no cheating :p:

ReputationRep:
    I can! But not very quickly and only the 3x3x3 one. I need to get practising!

ReputationRep:
    same as the above

ReputationRep:
    I can do most of them.
    About 3 years ago I started doing them, learned algorithms but I just didn't have time to learn all of it.

My best time on 3x3x3 is about 20 seconds, but on average it takes me 35s.
    Everyone is able to do it in under 30s, it just takes some practice and algorithms.
    I can also do 2x2x2, 4x4x4, 5x5x5, Megaminx (12 sided).
    Once you know how to do 3x3x3 and 4x4x4, you'll have no problems even with 100x100x100 (you can use computer programs to do this one)

One of the most painful things I've ever seen involved my cubes - 2 year old kid went to my room while everyone was outside, and threw my cubes through the open window, 3 or 4 broke completely. My soul was as shattered as they were.

If any of you wants to learn - http://www.cubestation.co.uk/

If you are seriously interested in that - just google 'speedcubing'.

ReputationRep:
    of course!

Does peeling the stickers off to do so count?

ReputationRep:
    I think i once solved 3 sides.

ReputationRep:
    I completed one but didnt solve it all by myself haha...
    Had about 5 squares in the wrong place and was sad enough to look on the internet for a solver, input what colour is where and it tells you how to finish it off...Would have never of completed it otherwise

ReputationRep:
    I learnt how to do it this Summer and I was obsessed for about a fortnight - my record was 1 minute 17 seconds by the end of it.

I probably would struggle now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    I'm confused at what part you need explaining tbh...it was a fairly self explanatory post.
    I was asking about TSRians not the whole world. I just wanted to get an idea of how common or not so common this ability is. It's also called a Rubik's cube not a Rubix cube, that's why I was a bit confused. I thought you were making some sort of joke or being sarcastic.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    I was asking about TSRians not the whole world. I just wanted to get an idea of how common or not so common this ability is. It's also called a Rubik's cube not a Rubix cube, that's why I was a bit confused. I thought you were making some sort of joke or being sarcastic.
    Huh?

ReputationRep:
    Fastest I've done it is 1 min 32 secs

ReputationRep:
    Yes, once you memorize the algorithm it is no challenge at all

ReputationRep:
    Me

(Original post by nuodai)
    I can solve the cube-shaped ones of all sizes. When you know the method it ceases to be a challenge :p:
    Is the method the same for larger than 3 x 3 x 3 then? I've never even tried to get my head around them...

ReputationRep:
    i cant, but this one time i met a girl who could with her eyes shut
    IT WAS SO COOL
    i wish i could do them, i hear theres like a set technique to it but yknow ive never looked into this theory haha
    • PS Helper

(Original post by make-cookies-not-war)
    Me

Is the method the same for larger than 3 x 3 x 3 then? I've never even tried to get my head around them...
    What I do with the ones larger than 3x3x3 is first to make them equivalent to a 3x3x3 cube and then solve what remains as if it were one. For example, with the 7x7x7 cube I first make the 5x5 centres of one colour, then I pair up all the cubes on the 5x1 edges (excluding corners), and then what remains is equivalent to a 3x3x3. There are, of course, other ways of doing them, but I'm not too bothered :p:

ReputationRep:
    i solved the homer simpson rubik's cube, if that counts.

ReputationRep:
    I figured out how to do the first two layers, I meant to look up how to do the final layer, but never got round to it and didn't really care. I don't have my own Rubik's Cube to attempt it on anymore.
    I think I had one when I was a kid that I peeled the stickers off, but that ruined it lol, so it got thrown away.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people can solve 3x3x3 cubes, but it still impresses the **** out of most people. My best time is only just under a minute, average 90-seconds (apparently a common sticking point in the basic method I use).

I never took it further but if I did I would need to learn a different method, basically - I need to put some more time into studying it but I developed other interests (juggling!) so I just maintain a 80-90s Rubik's cube ability.

I really recommend it though, to impress idiots. You'll get all kinds of pussy if you solve one at all quickly. People ask if I'm a "maths person", a genius, or an engineer, haha. Not sure why an engineer, but there we go.

I have a 4x4x4 cube which I found very pleasant, and managed to get that to the point that just three of the last-layer pieces were incorrectly orientated and positioned, but I didn't know how to get further. It takes me like an hour of ****ing around to do that. I should just learn about that cube as well, I guess.

Cool hobby anyway, if you like patterns and stuff.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.