Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girlfriend - Golddigger Experiment. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Yeah, communication isn't what we need, but instead devious tests, that'll help the relationship along!
    Do you really think she would admit to being a gold digger if they "communicated" about it? :dontknow:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Do you understand that it is the principle of the money in terms of the relationship and not the actual spending of either party that is the problem?
    Instead of such experiment, it might better to get the girlfriend and be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Did you tell her beforehand that you were going to spend £100 on her? you know before she bought her present.

If someone bought me £100 worth of presents I still wouldn't go above my limit of £30 because I have sense.

£10-30 is more than enough. You irresponsibly chose to spend £100 despite being in the red. Not her fault. What matters is whether you're thoughtful in the way you spend the £10. Naturally buying stationary will just piss her off as someone pointed out as it shows you don't care. Chocolates could work though. *****es love chocolate.

Interested to see how your 'experiment' goes though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This Christmas I spent £100 on my girlfriend. We've been together a substantial amount of time, over 2 years, and as a debt ridden, poor student, it's the most I could afford.

On her part, she spent roughly £10 on me.

We are from similar financial backgrounds and are slightly supported by family, but her personal finances are sailing in calm black seas, while mine dress in tarty red and go flirting with the bank manager every month.

I know it's the thought that counts, I know money doesn't mean much, love conquers all, but I can't help feeling just a slightest bit peeved that I scrapped my pennies off the floor to make her Christmas, yet she (seriously) spent as much on her cat's birthday last month than she has on me.

I feel like I might be being taken for a ride, in which I merrily sit astride Santa's sleigh throwing out gifts, and in return **** Dastardly pulls up alongside for Muttley to crap in my sack.

Immoral as it may be, I've decided to run a small experiment. Her birthday arrives in a couple of weeks, and unlike last year where she received a new necklace and matching ear rings, this year I'm getting her a single box of chocs and maybe some stationary, just to gauge her reaction, and admittedly, savour a small bitter sweet nugget flavoured with the mildest revenge. Mostly to see what happens though.

Am I a horrible person?
    No your not.
    I'm really interested in this, do post back after her birthday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    The OP's idea is logical too, it will determine what he wants to determine about his girlfriend. It also avoids potential awkwardness, and could be a bit of fun for him too.

If it turns out that the girlfriend is a golddigger, your suggestion would then be the one making more sense since it would resolve the issue. The OP is finding out if there is an issue or not and his idea will do that just fine.
    You're right, there are no issues with the way in which he's laid out the methodology of the experiment at all!
    Silly me, thinking that he may have biased it in some way:rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    Do you really think she would admit to being a gold digger if they "communicated" about it? :dontknow:.
    What? she never asked him to spend £100 if I'm reading it right..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    Not in those terms. But she's not going to stay with him if he's setting a limit or system where they spend the same on each other. Has everyone forgotten about this thing in a relationship called trust over the new year?

ReputationRep:
    £10 is disgraceful...then again I spent £40 on my gf. Though the thing I bought her is worth £100 and I'm currently -£300.

Get her exactly what she got you (or the female equivelant) and just be like what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This Christmas I spent £100 on my girlfriend. We've been together a substantial amount of time, over 2 years, and as a debt ridden, poor student, it's the most I could afford.

On her part, she spent roughly £10 on me.

We are from similar financial backgrounds and are slightly supported by family, but her personal finances are sailing in calm black seas, while mine dress in tarty red and go flirting with the bank manager every month.

I know it's the thought that counts, I know money doesn't mean much, love conquers all, but I can't help feeling just a slightest bit peeved that I scrapped my pennies off the floor to make her Christmas, yet she (seriously) spent as much on her cat's birthday last month than she has on me.

I feel like I might be being taken for a ride, in which I merrily sit astride Santa's sleigh throwing out gifts, and in return **** Dastardly pulls up alongside for Muttley to crap in my sack.

Immoral as it may be, I've decided to run a small experiment. Her birthday arrives in a couple of weeks, and unlike last year where she received a new necklace and matching ear rings, this year I'm getting her a single box of chocs and maybe some stationary, just to gauge her reaction, and admittedly, savour a small bitter sweet nugget flavoured with the mildest revenge. Mostly to see what happens though.

Am I a horrible person?
    Good idea. Just don't come back posting a thread about how your girlfriend left you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure it's fair to call her a gold-digger for that reason. She's likely to value the present based on what it is, or means, not what it cost, so in her eyes the two presents might be equal.

ReputationRep:
    backgrounds mean nothing you moron!
    my parents are ****ing loaded, but im always poor as **** as they dont give me anything and i pay for a lot of my stuff with a job nd now student finance
    last year my gf spent around a hundred on me, i spent £20 on her as it was most i could afford, shes from a much poorer background but her parents gave her cash + payed for her food, gave her going out money and so on
    i also doubted she would spend so much so thought a £20 gift was great, not thinking people needed to spend so much

although i am very interested to see how this "experiment" goes, i do think your jumping to conclusions a bit quickly

ReputationRep:
    You're right, there are no issues with the way in which he's laid out the methodology of the experiment at all!
    Silly me, thinking that he may have biased it in some way:rolleyes:.
    The method was give her a cheap but reasonable present, and see if she was unhappy relative to the expensive present. The only bias there could be would be in his interpretation of her reaction, but then if he's unsure he can do what you suggest. This plan won't offend her in the way yours would though.

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy being single. Money > Confidence > looks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    The method was give her a cheap but reasonable present, and see if she was unhappy relative to the expensive present. The only bias there could be would be in his interpretation of her reaction, but then if he's unsure he can do what you suggest. This plan won't offend her in the way yours would though.
    Firstly: There was no agreed amount to spend.
    Secondly: There's been no evidence presented to say that she wanted him to buy these gifts, or spend a stupid amount on her.
    Thirdly: we don't know what she considers to be thoughtful.
    Fourthly: She may be surprised by the change in the amount being spent on her and believe it to be a hint, after all it is a change in a pattern of behaviour, and she may read the wrong things into it.

People have different reactions to different things, and for different reasons.

But apparently subjectivity isn't something we need to take into account with different individuals:rolleyes:.

Oh, wait, it necessarily is.

ReputationRep:
    If you are actually considering doing that, you should be breaking up with her.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly: There was no agreed amount to spend.
    Secondly: There's been no evidence presented to say that she wanted him to buy these gifts, or spend a stupid amount on her.
    Thirdly: we don't know what she considers to be thoughtful.
    Fourthly: She may be surprised by the change in the amount being spent on her and believe it to be a hint, after all it is a change in a pattern of behaviour, and she may read the wrong things into it.

People have different reactions to different things, and for different reasons.

But apparently subjectivity isn't something we need to take into account with different individuals:rolleyes:.

Oh, wait, it necessarily is.
    1) True, but you'll be able to see if she was expecting more to be spent.
    2) Getting her something cheap will answer that.
    3) Her reaction to chocolates will give us a better idea
    4) If she suspects something's up, she can try to find out what it is. Just like the OP is doing.

ReputationRep:
    what makes you think your relationship will last till her birthday?

ReputationRep:
    If you're in the red, I'd seriously doubt she's a golddigger...surely she'd be with someone who had money? :lolwhut:

ReputationRep:
    OP you sound like a douche. I hate people who are tyrannical about presents, they really don't matter. Do you think your girlfriend would want you to save your lunch money for 3 months to buy her some bits of tat that she probably wouldn't have bought herself? No. And she probably had the same thought about you; sadly for her she was wrong. £100 of presents is insane especially for a student - what on earth were you thinking?

ReputationRep:
    Of course, now she is accustomed to the fine lifestyle to which you have introduced her. Anything learned from this little experiment will be your own doing. It strikes me as ridiculous that you resent your girlfriend for not going into debt for you. Safe, sound finances are something to be admired - especially if they're for a woman, when any sort of finances at all are so unexpected.

And, to be fair, you spend far too much. I tend to think of something I really want, something I would buy anyway, and then just wait until whenever my girlfriend starts going on about how soon her birthday is. My girlfriend got Call of Duty Black Ops this year, to go with the X Box I had just bought for myself. That she is not allowed to use.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.