Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stuff you've learnt from being in a relationship - either good or bad. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    Women don't want solutions, they just want to be listened to.

Love isn't about youth, excitement and infatuation - its about what you're grandparents have; its about the old-fashioned utterly un-sexy stuff.

You will mess up the first few.
    The listening part comes first, solutions after. I wouldn't want someone who kept nodding away sympathetically forever!

Love can be about those things, you just have to be with the right person. Although not sure how long you can expect the excitement to last before things turn boring and stale and predictable..

ReputationRep:
    I've learnt that you don't know what you truly have until its gone.. and by that time its often too late.

ReputationRep:
    Good:

- someone's there to comfort you when you need the comfort
    - boys are always allowed to dominate the relationship, somewhat like a guardian
    - a bit of a social status uplift, except if the girl's socially undesirable...
    - other girls start to find you attractive, for the simple reason you're literally hard to get
    also
    - blowjobs are better than actual sex... just saying...

Bad:
    - emotional hullabaloo
    - the thing that makes a girl so so so so attractive, like her innocence or her sanctity, is sacrificed through specific aspects of the relationship... make of that what you will
    - you eventually become bored of the girl, and become tempted to get with other girls

okay, the good outnumber the bad, but i'm not planning to get a girlfriend/girlfriends in uni. i plan to sustain myself using one night stands and booty calls, because honestly i can't give two ****s about the emotional fusses and time you have to devote to the chick, that can be another guy's job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachz)
    Do what makes you happy, its usually whats best for both of you.
    Talk about stuff.
    Say the minute something is wrong, dragging it out is stupid
    Appreciate every minute, the right relationships don't always seem so at the time.
    Sorry, but I must comment on your brilliant sig :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    Sorry, but I must comment on your brilliant sig :awesome:
    And to yours, fellow Harry Potter fan! (This is what I assume you're refering too!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachz)
    And to yours, fellow Harry Potter fan! (This is what I assume you're refering too!)
    Indeed! :awesome: And thanks, tehe.

ReputationRep:
    The people we love most can make us the most angry, but we should always try to control our tempers. We should also forgive the one we love and not hold a grudge over the little things.

ReputationRep:
    things that you think are well worth it, generally aren't in the long run

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    Indeed! :awesome: And thanks, tehe.
    I hope Snape is your fav? I can't wait to see him turn into a bat like thing that Rowling describes!

ReputationRep:
    If you believe that the best romantic relationships come out of friendships (and that's your criteria for dating a guy), don't let anyone else dissuade you. In my case, it works.

Don't date too young, even if your friends do. Observe them in your younger years, and you'll get all the lessons you need sans the heartbreak. (Also along this vein - it doesn't matter if you don't get a boyfriend until you're 17 and a half/much later. It just matters that your heart and mind are ready.)

He might not be much of a talker, but that doesn't make him a bad communicator. He probably opts to reserve words for the things/times that matter

If you're thinking about having sex for the first time, DISCUSS IT WITH EACH OTHER: contraception, "etiquette" (doubtless you'll want it to stay private, so have an agreement about that), etc. I cannot stress this enough.

And sleeping starkers together in the same bed is an amazing feeling, even if you two don't have sex there and then...

ReputationRep:
    Any signs of a clinger and you need to get the **** outta there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rawwwwr!)
    Any signs of a clinger and you need to get the **** outta there!
    Sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8086)
    Sad
    ...what?

ReputationRep:
    Not to go into the cellar.

Pic related, it's my ex. We broke up after being together for 24 years

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...0px-Fritzl.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Relationships are not for you. Women, however, are.

ReputationRep:
    ....I decided to date a guy.....which confirmed that yes, I was a lesbian...and proud :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    On cheaters :-
    Cheat me once shame on you, cheat me twice shame on me.
    Everyone is innocent until proven guilty..... except when you're the guy in relationship
    If he/she cheated before, it is much easier to cheat again.

On girls :-
    No 2 girls are the same, therefore treat them as such.
    If you think you know all about girls, you don't.
    A fast car, posh house will get you a girl but not her heart.

On relationships :-
    We have 2 ears, 1 mouth but a bigger brain for a reason..... listen and think before you speak.
    Your partner does not leave his/her thoughts, feelings and emotions at the door when he/she sees you............ deal with it.
    Trust, loyalty and respect are the foundations of a sound relationship. Love is never constant.
    In life you will be in relationship with 3 types of people, one that counts, one you can count on and one that doesn't count with you. If you find one that is all 3 then he/she is your perfect partner.
    Money - the more you contribute does not mean the more you get...... you didn't visit a brothel.
    Money - sharing is caring.
    Sex - quality is better than quantity.

ReputationRep:
    Love

ReputationRep:
    Men are just as complicated as they claim us women are, we're just better at working them out in the end.

Sex is important to me in a relationship and I struggle when it doesn't happen for weeks on end.

Good guys do exist

ReputationRep:
    The day you think you can't say "I love you" without lieing, is a good reason to leave.
    Takes effort to make it work
    Listen.

maybe this is just me, but my ex didn't have a backbone. I mean, i would ask her, what she wants or where she wants to go. And it was always me choosing and deciding, i could have said, lets visit a brothel together and she would have said yes to that. I like a strong independent women, it got to the point where she was becoming almost like my sex slave I think.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.