Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your New Year's political wish? Watch

• View Poll Results: What is your New Year's political wish?
    Bring down the ConDem Coalition
    34.88%
    Bring down the entire UK Party System
    10.47%
    Bring down the banks (but not the government)
    6.98%
    Bonfire of elites; Libert égalité, fraternité
    9.30%
    Invade Luxembourg (let's annex it. Seriously.)
    13.95%
    Spend less time thinking about politics
    6.98%
    Warn people about the dangers of global warming
    9.30%
    Support the Royal Family for the Wedding
    8.14%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Oh, silly me. I thought we had moved on from the Bronze Age. Following your logic I suppose we're supposed to ignore our brethren across the world; our brethren who happen to be born in the worn-torn, backward, authoritarian, poverty-stricken areas of the world; our brethren who weren't as lucky as us when it came to the birth lottery and as a result, should not be pushed further under their government's repressive jackboot.

When will the self-centred and 99.9% of rightist imbeciles eventually realise that these white lines which form countries only continue to further the great divide evident in today's world?
    It would be nice if all the injustice in the world would disappear, but if it means that it would interfere with my current lifestyle, I'm not going to bother doing anything about it. If it is in my interest to care, or it is my job to, I would.

Sorry if this conflicts with some 'moral code' you have which determines the way you feel you should act or think, or at least the way you want others to view you.

ReputationRep:
    Would someone like to explain what exactly Luxembourg did?

I agree it would be cool to collect all the microstates... Luxembourg, Malta, Lichtenstein, San Marino, Andorra etc. We could put them to good use, I'm sure we could think of something.

(Original post by alicebytemperley)
    Yes, I just thought that you meant 'radical' as in 'extreme' rather than 'getting to the root of the problem'.
    Thanks for the interesting comment.

ReputationRep:
    Non violent political revolution to instate a new a system of governence preferably a variation of developmental democracy where the state's sole purpose is to protect liberty and human rights? Ok, maybe I'm asking for just a little too much... Oh well :moon:

ReputationRep:
    That AV is passed with a reasonable majority and the Government do the right thing and fully introduced it before the next General Election.

Also I object to the Coalition being called 'ConDem'. Frankly I would like the Liberals and moderate Conservatives to form a new permanent Party of the centre-right, and fight side-by-side in elections held under the Alternative Vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yituool)
    It would be nice if all the injustice in the world would disappear, but if it means that it would interfere with my current lifestyle, I'm not going to bother doing anything about it. If it is in my interest to care, or it is my job to, I would.

Sorry if this conflicts with some 'moral code' you have which determines the way you feel you should act or think, or at least the way you want others to view you.
    A simpler way of puting what 'stalin's getting at is: If you lived in a third world country where you were so heavily restricted in what you do and think that if you put a single foot out of line you could end up being tortured and killed, Would you like it? Would you want someone to help you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burpleronnie)
    A simpler way of puting what 'stalin's getting at is: If you lived in a third world country where you were so heavily restricted in what you do and think that if you put a single foot out of line you could end up being tortured and killed, Would you like it? Would you want someone to help you?
    I wouldn't like it, but luckily I don't live in a third world country, so I don't really care for this pointless thought experiment.

What is this, a secondary school citizenship lesson?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claphamski)
    Also I object to the Coalition being called 'ConDem'.
    But that's what it is, right?

ReputationRep:
    But that's what it is, right?
    No, it's the Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition. If that's too long, 'Coalition' and 'government' are also available. It could just as wrongly be called the Libservacrat, ConeralDemive, LibConcratvat and many other names that aren't a poor pun on condemn trying and failing to make a political point.

It's Bliar and Liebour, it's just lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simontinsley)
    No, it's the Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition. If that's too long, 'Coalition' and 'government' are also available. It could just as wrongly be called the Libservacrat, ConeralDemive, LibConcratvat and many other names that aren't a poor pun on condemn trying and failing to make a political point.

It's Bliar and Liebour, it's just lazy.
    It's not lazy - it's making a point. We're condemned.

ReputationRep:
    It's not making a point though, it's a value judgement with nothing to back it up. I don't have any issue with someone actually making a point, but it's a bit like me going Liebour, with nothing to back that up either. It might be your opinion that we're condemned (though who's condemning what action I'd love to know), but saying the coalition is ConDem is still lazy because it fails to make any argument to back up your value judgement.

So, like I said, it's just lazy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2: So by making this point Im to assume that you reject the election and democracy in this country?

How about rather than being a tool spouting meaningless political rhetoric you actually make a decent argument against the coalition's policies.

By using crap like ConDem you immediately look like a fool who has to resort to childish insults to attempt to win debates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vms1993)
    slight variant also... stop worrying about politics and the impending tuition fee rise that is going to be a huge burden on my family next year
    My wish for next year is that people will become informed about the changes facing them so they don't sound like buffoons on internet forums.

ReputationRep:
    Trident nukes explode, destroying Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure what this thread is about, is it about what I want to happen or what I think will happen?
    I want the referendum on AV to be won, prior to that I want the date to be changed for the referendum, if the second wish comes true I think the first will also.
    What do I think will be the big issue, the economy! Whether or not it grows, and whether or not jobs are created.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't like it, but luckily I don't live in a third world country, so I don't really care for this pointless thought experiment.

What is this, a secondary school citizenship lesson?
    Bit of a prick then arent you?

The irony is that the privilages you enjoy exist because people of a liberal school of thought have fought for them since the 1600's.

Chances are that if everyone held your viewpoint you would be one of the opressed that you now so ignorantly ignore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domino0806)
    You're one of those annoying people who holds no political views of their own, and subscribes to views that you think you should hold based on the stereotype you fashion yourself after. Something I've noticed.
    Erm no, I hold my very strong political opinions because I believe them to be right. Is there a problem with that? I don't think I fit any particular stereotype to be honest, you don't know me personally so you don't really have any grounds to comment on. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't make such pathetic generalisations, and that if you have an issue with anything I have said, to either PM me or make a sensible contribution or comment on the topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burpleronnie)
    Bit of a prick then arent you?

The irony is that the privilages you enjoy exist because people of a liberal school of thought have fought for them since the 1600's.

Chances are that if everyone held your viewpoint you would be one of the opressed that you now so ignorantly ignore.
    I wouldn't call it ignorance, I might be dramatic enough to call it enlightenment. Most people do hold my viewpoint it seems. Do most people complain about the trouble in Sudan, or other foreign crises? I like to think I know a bit about international issues, I find them quite interesting. I can decide who I think are in the 'wrong', but I feel no need to be upset about it, unless it in some way affects my interests. I'm sorry, but if there is no Sudanese referendum, I will find it very hard to be upset. Maybe I should pretend to be upset for the sake of it, like so many on this forum love to do so.

And I'm all for liberalism, I'm not sure why you assume that I'm not, and what it's got to do with this discussion. Perhaps you don't actually understand what it means.

A prick? I find myself less insufferable than those who are always moaning about all the "injustices in the world mannnnn" etc, as if they genuinely care about the anonymous masses who have no bearings on their lives.

(Original post by .Ali.)
      Erm no, I hold my very strong political opinions because I believe them to be right. Is there a problem with that? I don't think I fit any particular stereotype to be honest, you don't know me personally so you don't really have any grounds to comment on. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't make such pathetic generalisations, and that if you have an issue with anything I have said, to either PM me or make a sensible contribution or comment on the topic.
      Well, if you're so politically opinionated, do tell me what a "large step to the right" would involve, in your view.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by simontinsley)
      It's not making a point though, it's a value judgement with nothing to back it up. I don't have any issue with someone actually making a point, but it's a bit like me going Liebour, with nothing to back that up either. It might be your opinion that we're condemned (though who's condemning what action I'd love to know), but saying the coalition is ConDem is still lazy because it fails to make any argument to back up your value judgement.

So, like I said, it's just lazy.
      I find "ConDem" as quite a good way of judging whether so-called impartial newsreaders agree with the coalition government. I think you need to calm down, and focus on more important issues. The reality is that most criticisms of the government extend beyond one word and very few people can say nothing about why they think that they're condemned.

ReputationRep:
      I wouldn't call it ignorance, I might be dramatic enough to call it enlightenment. Most people do hold my viewpoint it seems. Do most people complain about the trouble in Sudan, or other foreign crises? I like to think I know a bit about international issues, I find them quite interesting. I can decide who I think are in the 'wrong', but I feel no need to be upset about it, unless it in some way affects my interests. I'm sorry, but if there is no Sudanese referendum, I will find it very hard to be upset. Maybe I should pretend to be upset for the sake of it, like so many on this forum love to do so.

And I'm all for liberalism, I'm not sure why you assume that I'm not, and what it's got to do with this discussion. Perhaps you don't actually understand what it means.

A prick? I find myself less insufferable than those who are always moaning about all the "injustices in the world mannnnn" etc, as if they genuinely care about the anonymous masses who have no bearings on their lives.
      My point was that the above behaviour is backwards. Should everyone adopt it, as you pointed out that most do, those who choose to exploit you; can, will and currently are.

It is the people who think beyond themselves and act upon it that have won the majority the ability to be ignornant in relative safety.

You would fall into the catagory of prick (i may be wrong), as you are less ignorant yet justify your inaction on selfish grounds.

I dont know you so its hard to make a judgement, but based upon what you have said it seems unlikely thet you have taken any actions to help your fellow man. I know i personally wont be doing anything to help out with the sudanese referendum*? But i am getting towards helping elsewhere. Its not so much a matter of feeling empathy, rather one of acknowledgement of the situation and doing your part somewhere. The window you have provided into your world view suggests you do nothing.

I would love you to prove me wrong.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.