Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jit987)
    The variable T Distributed by N(8, 4), why does P(T = 5) = 0?
    Isn't it meant to be P(4.5 < T < 5.5)?
    Because with a normal distribution, the probability that it occurs at a single point is always zero, you can only use a normal distribution when investigating the probability a value is above, below, between two certain points, i.e. an inequality. When you change the probability, like from P(T=5) to P(4.5 < T < 5.5), you're thinking about when you change the type of distribution, or something like that, it's been a while.

ReputationRep:
    The variable T Distributed by N(8, 4), why does P(T = 5) = 0?
    Isn't it meant to be P(4.5 < T < 5.5)?
    This only applies if you are approximating a discrete distribution like binomial or poisson onto a continuous distribution like the normal distribution. In this question you aren't approximating anything. The question STATES that T follows a normal distribution. As the normal distribution is continuous the probability that it takes any particular value is zero. Think about it: the probability is represented by the area under the graph for the pdf of the normal distribution. At one particular value this is the area of a line which is zero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Because with a normal distribution, the probability that it occurs at a single point is always zero, you can only use a normal distribution when investigating the probability a value is above, below, between two certain points, i.e. an inequality. When you change the probability, like from P(T=5) to P(4.5 < T < 5.5), you're thinking about when you change the type of distribution, or something like that, it's been a while.
    it clearly has

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anshul95)
    it clearly has
    What's wrong in that statement?

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong in that statement?
    I was being sarcastic - now that I read back I wasn't being clear enough sorry. You actually explained it very well for someone who potentially hasn't done this for a year.

ReputationRep:
    I was being sarcastic - now that I read back I wasn't being clear enough sorry. You actually explained it very well for someone who potentially hasn't done this for a year.
    Haha, I was interested to see how much of it was nonsense after not doing it for a while. I have a pretty good memory, so tend not to forget maths, even if it is useless.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I was interested to see how much of it was nonsense after not doing it for a while. I have a pretty good memory, so tend not to forget maths, even if it is useless.
    Thats what people say about me as well. Its probably because we enjoy maths so much its not like doing work - well thats how I feel when I'm doing something relating to maths.

ReputationRep:

Thanks! Well explained

ReputationRep:
    how do you know when too use the continuity correction? and if so when do you -0.5 and +0.5??
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gupta21)
    how do you know when too use the continuity correction? and if so when do you -0.5 and +0.5??
    thanks
    you'd use the continuity correction when you're approximating a poisson or binomial distribution with a normal distribution.

Example:
    when the discrete distribution is
    P(X<17)
    continuous would be
    P(X<16.5)

BUT

P(X>17)
    continuous would be
    P(X>17.5)

ALSO: because for a normal distribution you cannot approximate 'equals to' so,
    P(X?17) [The '?' should be 'less than/equal to' everytime I save it changes to '?' sorry about that )
    continuous would be
    P(X<16.5)

So when you are calculating the probability for X 'LESS THAN', you'd use the lower bound of X
    and
    when you are calculating the probability for X 'GREATER THAN', you'd use the upper bound of X

Hope that helps
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much 'twiddle-doo'
    i finally get it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gupta21)
    thank you so much 'twiddle-doo'
    i finally get it
    no probs

ReputationRep:
    Hope Sampling Distribution question pops up

ReputationRep:
    I just hope no 'define blah blah' comes up
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Same! Although I still cannot remember how to define it in a statement, aghhh

This makes sense, thanks!!!!

ReputationRep:
    For the continuity correction

when the discrete is P(x>17)
    isnt the continuous P(x>16.5) the lower band?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foxer27)

yeah i had the same question when i was doing this normal distribution but my teacher said no for P(X>17) would be P(X>17.5)
    and the reason being for this is because we want values above 17 and 16.5 can be rounded DOWN to 16 than 17

hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foxer27)

It is P(x&gt;17) not P(x \geq 17)

If it would have been P(x \geq 17), then it would be P(x \geq 16.5)

If I'm wrong please correct me

ReputationRep:
    If you can handle those from 01-10 and solomon's very well, then there shouldn't be any problem. How did you find the solomon's?
    solomons were ok...i hope nothing like P(4<X<5) comes because i alwys mess up those....any particular tricks to learn how to solve those??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geniusmiss)
    solomons were ok...i hope nothing like P(4&lt;X&lt;5) comes because i alwys mess up those....any particular tricks to learn how to solve those??
    Is that for Uniform distribution questions, like in some interval (0,20) then work out P(4<x<5). Or are you talking about poisson/binomial/cdf/pdf?
    For a PDF question if the questions says P(x=5) is it always 0 or is that only for CDF?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.