The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by babygirl110
My parents have never wanted any rent from me, it's just plain wrong.

See, this is fine. If your parents won't accept it then fair enough. But it's not wrong to pay your way. My parents are by no means poor, they live in a £250,000 house but they are still paying a mortgage on and I would just feel better helping them with that.
Original post by modgepodge
I think while you are at school it seems odd to pay rent to your parents. Once you are a student however or working I think it's fair to expect to pay.

There is perhaps a cultural divide here...my old boss is asian, she's nearly 25 and not only does she still live at home, her parents won't LET her move out! Until she gets married. She was allowed to live out for 1st year at uni then her parents made her move back home. So there's no way she's paying them rent.

LOL yh that's a different side of the story..like i said it's different in culturewise..
They're basically trapping her..i woudn't want that kind of living.i'd rather pay rent in my own house and be free.
Original post by RIISE
See, this is fine. If your parents won't accept it then fair enough. But it's not wrong to pay your way. My parents are by no means poor, they live in a £250,000 house but they are still paying a mortgage on and I would just feel better helping them with that.

of course it's great that you want to contribute.so do I.
do they accept it? and who'se idea was this rent situation..yours or theirs?
I don't. They pay me.
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
value of money? these guys parent's aren't teaching them the value of money. How on earth can you find a place for 280pcm? You're looking at more like 400 500pcm. Then you've got bills, add on another 100 or 200 quid. Then you've got food, add on another 100 200. So taking the extremes, that's 900 quid. If it was about teaching you the value of money, why don't they charge their children the full whack? In fact some rent might even be greater if theyre living in a nice area in a 4 bed detached house.....

also if it's about sharing the costs, they already own the house.... and if they've got a mortgage, why the **** have they taken out a mortgage that they can't afford?

seems like a half hearted argument all in the name of gaining some cheap money

if it really was about teaching them the value of money, they'd charge them realistic amounts of money, not some imaginary number they've plucked from the sky all for their financial gain and enjoyment on the back of some bull **** reasoning

If teaching them the value of money is the idea of paying rent, then they're really skewing this value of money aren't they?

Figure of speech my friend.

if 280 is nothing, then why ask for it? if they can't afford to have children, don't ****ing have any

call me a spoilt brat if you want but if i have children in the future, i won't treat them as another source of income

talk about a cheap shot.....

but as i said, it's very much a culture thing. I've only seen white families do this and never heard of any asian families doing this so maybe that's why i don't understand it.....

just so true..
Original post by Menakshelatte
look at neg rep i'm getting for saying the same thing as you..
it's the same with me..after seeing this thread i asked my mum how much she'd want from me..she didn't even discuss it she just closed the subject .

awwwww your so kind whoever pos repped me for that :biggrin:
I'd like to repay the favoour if i know who you are :smile:
Reply 46
I guess the food costs MAYBE, but srsly? cant u just use your old bedroom, my parents would never charge me to stay in my bedroom
Reply 47
Zilch.
Reply 48
My parents don't charge me rent, even when I'm at home. I don't have a job while I'm at university because I simply don't have time, and I didn't manage to get my old holiday job this Xmas because my manger is a prick. If I ever have to move back in e.g. after I graduate and get a full-time job, then I will be happy to buy my own food and contribute towards bills etc. but my parents probably won't accept it. They have plenty of money, especially since they paid of their mortgage, so I don't feel bad about not paying them. As someone else has said, children aren't another source of income, unless you physically can't support yourself.
(edited 13 years ago)
£0.00 - Its their job to look after me I am their child.

When I move out I am never moving back in so there is no need for me to pay them.
Reply 50
of course it's great that you want to contribute.so do I.
do they accept it? and who'se idea was this rent situation..yours or theirs?

It's my idea but they just said if I want to pay fair enough. They haven't asked for it, I don't think they would. I don't feel like a freeloader that way.
Original post by RIISE
It's my idea but they just said if I want to pay fair enough. They haven't asked for it, I don't think they would. I don't feel like a freeloader that way.

hmmm it would've been very different if they requested but fair enough,,
personally i still don't think you should pay that much though..
i think you should lower the number a bit, no need for £200 to contribute..
how about £100? you'll still be contributing :smile:
Original post by RIISE

I find it wrong for parents to expect money particularly from children who are still at university. My parents find it wrong as well but maybe it's just a culture thing.

I think it would be wrong not to pay my way if I continued to stay at home despite having a well paid position in my late 20's.
Reply 53
I don't. Is it just me or is that really odd?
Reply 54
while still in education yea, rent free. When you should be working and out there in the world u should pay a rent, if nothing else to try to encourage you to leave
Sit down and work out how much it will cost your parents to keep you - i.e. food, bills. I don't think you should pay for the privilege of the room however, since I'm guessing it will be the room they provided you as a child.
Reply 56
I don't pay rent when I'm back over the summer. I did offer but they said that it wasn't fair as I'm still in education. However I do help out with chores, the family business for nothing.
When my sister dropped out of college and got a job she had to pay £20 a week. She thought that she only had to pay £20 a month and had a huge tantrum when she understood that it was actually £80. She's heading of to uni in a couple of weeks and won't have to pay rent when she's back in the summer.
Personally I think £50 a week is pretty reasonable.
Original post by Escriba
I don't. Is it just me or is that really odd?

nope it's the parents that are odd.
Reply 58
hmmm it would've been very different if they requested but fair enough,,
personally i still don't think you should pay that much though..
i think you should lower the number a bit, no need for £200 to contribute..
how about £100? you'll still be contributing :smile:

Well £100 would be fine I guess, i'm just thinking that i'm paying £400 a month now for halls, and for what is much lower quality accommodation than what i'd get at my parents so £200 seems a bargain.

And i'll re-iterate, my parents have a very good income, they do not need the money by any means but it's just my feelings on the situation.
Reply 59
wow, some people pay alot...my parents get £30 a month from me
then again i'm only working part time so they get 10% of whatever I earn that month
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending