in these situations "brb" is your friend :awesome:
    But when you supposedly 'come back'....
    (....or do you not?!) lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetascandy)
    But when you supposedly 'come back'....
    (....or do you not?!) lol :p:
    you don't come back, you never go back :colone:

or if you're not quite that mean, use the time to think of something interesting to say

ReputationRep:
    ouch.

ReputationRep:
    Even worse when it's with someone you like. :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    When I sense the conversation has run its course, I say 'CONVERSATION END' and stare blankly.

ReputationRep:
    its more funny and awkward when people decide to go on their phone to pretend they need to have a convrsation with someone else or something important to do on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Well I'm unconscious so It doesn't matter haha.

I went to an out of term uni thing we could do and one person out of our friendship group who I don't know as well was the only other person going. She was nice, not way talkative but it's ok I more then made up for it. On the way back I just folded my hoodie and put it on her knee and was like "I hope you don't mind me sleeping on you?" and her look was fantastic "oh...erm..ok.". I slept very well, woke up only once because I thought I'd drooled but actually I think it had pooled within my mouth because I was at a downwards angle but it was a sensory illusion that any had actually gone onto the outside of my cheek, just a quick pat with my hand confirmed and I was back to sleep.
    hahahah omdz i could never do that!...especially if u only just met them :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Bear)
    Even worse when it's with someone you like. :getmecoat:
    omdz yh cas u wanna keep talking to them but they are making no effort

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cool_beans1993)
    hahahah omdz i could never do that!...especially if u only just met them :O
    I'd known them for a while, it's just as a group I'd not particularly talked to them much and we'd not ever been anywhere just the two of us. T'was fine though!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh. This basically sums up everything awful about awkward, dying conversation.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is great. I laughed

I always manage to do this.
    Me: Hallo! How are you?
    A: Fine thanks, and you?
    Me: Oh yes, I'm okay, and you?
    A: Er...fine? Feeling all right?
    Me: Yes, I'm feeling fine. Are you?

On occasion we've run to three or four...hate small talk. I am not interested in learning how they are!

I used to do that- just walk away when I'd finished talking to someone, or when I was getting bored. But then my lovely socially able friend told me to say 'bye' and 'have a nice trip' and stuff. When I get bored now I usually change the subject abruptly. People have told me this is 'random' and then laugh. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazlehman)
    Just keep asking "how is /your mum/your dad/your Aunt/your freind Sarah "that Harry Potter film/pizza/new car until you no longer have to talk to them.
    Yeah, that's true. Also, If I'm facing an awkward silence I always blurt out 'How's your driving lessons?', and cringe because everyone I know is talking about that these days. But it's a good way to get someone talking, they'll go on and on and I can just zone out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinaberry)
    This thread is great. I laughed

I always manage to do this.
    Me: Hallo! How are you?
    A: Fine thanks, and you?
    Me: Oh yes, I'm okay, and you?
    A: Er...fine? Feeling all right?
    Me: Yes, I'm feeling fine. Are you?

On occasion we've run to three or four...hate small talk. I am not interested in learning how they are!

I used to do that- just walk away when I'd finished talking to someone, or when I was getting bored. But then my lovely socially able friend told me to say 'bye' and 'have a nice trip' and stuff. When I get bored now I usually change the subject abruptly. People have told me this is 'random' and then laugh. Oh well.
    i love random comments!... i tend to bring something up randomly too ...its always a good laugh unless the persons thinks ur wierd...:P

ReputationRep:
    God, I get this! On the bus to school I sit by my best friend, who I love, but we've been bfs since I was 6 and chat all lunch/break and she is the quietest of all my friends.. by the end of the day the 40 minute bus ride is just to much! In these situations, iPod is your friend. It goes like this:

Good day honey?
    Yeah, ok, you?
    Yeah it was fun *cue embarassingly long story about my English teacher*
    Um, that's nice, cool
    Yeah, I thought so
    *pause*
    So, um, graphics was good?
    Yeah, yeah,
    What did you do?
    Um, graphics
    Ah, ok... Mind if I listen to my iPod
    *visible sigh of relief* Sure!

ReputationRep:
    I find that when this happens, becoming existential does wonders.

Person: "Yeah."
    Me: "Cool."
    ... ...
    Me: "I wonder if what I'm doing is right. I mean, for my own future. Am I supposed to be procrastinating, or am I simply questioning my procrastination so that in the future, when I have to work, I won't procrastinate as easily?"
    Person: "What? Wait, what do you mean?"
    *The conversation continues*

ReputationRep:
    There's always something to say OP. Work on your conversation skills. Or, if the problem mainly arises when talking to guys, don't be one of those annoying females who expects the other to make all of the conversation. Not only is it off-putting, it's incredibly annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el scorcho)
    at that point I usually resort to ****ging off someone we both know

seems to work pretty well actually
    thats the best idea always works

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    There's always something to say OP. Work on your conversation skills. Or, if the problem mainly arises when talking to guys, don't be one of those annoying females who expects the other to make all of the conversation. Not only is it off-putting, it's incredibly annoying.
    im one of the most talkative people but im just pointing this out as it happens to a lot of people and sometimes when u chill with a group of people theres sometimes that awkward silence and then people start talking again lol
    nah i dont expect the others to make the conversation i just think that both should be putting in the effort and making the conversation ...it shouldnt just be a one-sided conversation :P

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.