Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/8045747/

ReputationRep:
    First of all let me tell you that if writing is your passion in your life, you have to do whatever you can to achieve this goal. In my view it makes no sense to stick to a career that you are not interested in, because eventually -in my own experience- quitting is the only natural outcome. So, go for it!

Said that, I think you have been advised correctly about writing a blog. You can use a platform like Wordpress, that is more professional looking than Blogger -and free as well- or, better yet, you might create your own website -you can use Wordpress or Drupal platforms, that are free, or if you don't want to avoid buying your own domain and webspace, Typepad should do- where to offer samples of your work, like short stories, and still maintain a blog.

SEO techniques (search engine optimization) will help you to increase your visibility on the internet, but most of all, joining writers' clubs and cafes, both on and offline, is the key to make yourself known.

Also, when you feel ready, you could start sending some of your work to publishing houses who are known for talent searching, and maybe start participating in some local/regional writing competition. I am sure that when you start your course of creative writing, you will get several such oppotunities.
    However, apart from that, the most important thing, in my view, is that you keep true to yourself and find several channels of inspiration.

Please post your website address, should you decide to open one!

Best luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Me too mate, me too.

-Try and get an agent
    -Dabble in as many different genres and forms of writing as possible so as to increase your command over literal teachniques and understanding of the idiosyncrasies of each genre. It'll also give you an idea of what genre or type that you're best at and would like to devote most time to.
    -Get feedback from as many people as possible, especially teachers, people who know a lot about creative writing.
    -Send your efforts off to as many places as possible; enter competitions etc.

-[B]Always write; it's a cliche but you'll only get better through practice.[/B]

PM me if you want to chat, it's rare to find many other aspiring writers. :five:
    This is the best advice really. I've been trying to write a novel for years now though and STILL haven't succeeded. I'm a bit of procrastinator though-nasty habit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kattt_452)
    Could you give an example of what you mean at the part about 'reality'?

I find it interesting that you've advised against blogging. I've set one up because my lecturer, a professional journalist, advised us to do so. I didn't realise it was frowned upon in any way :p:
    Haha it's a very personal thing - and while there are exceptions - blogs are generally a bad thing. People treat internet publishing like, well, internet publishing. They don't sub their work, they don't give it the consideration it deserves or truly think about what they're saying.

Whether you're sending an email or writing a book, you should be fully aware of the consequences of every character you type.

As for the 'low on reality' part, a lot of people will fire off emails along the lines of: "I'm a great writer, all my friends say so I've done lots of things I write on a forum and I love XXX subject I'm really passionate can I write something for you how much do you pay?"

Yikes. 1) Punctuation is your friend! 2) Writing lots isn't the same as writing well and 3) You have to stand out - this isn't the way...

ReputationRep:
    i personally wouldnt bother, the chances of you making it as a writer are very slim, you might have to try for 30+ years doing a 9-5 job as your main income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    I do write for writing's sake. My point is that if I could make it into a career then I would have more time to dedicate to my passion. If I could live a life where I had the time to spend writing without worrying about what anyone thinks, then I would, but I can't, because I'll need to work to make money to live and if i can't live then I won't be able to write any more.

The two are not mutually exclusive and you should probably get used to working and finding time to write. It's like I say above, it will be exceptionally rare if you were to leave full time education and walk straight into full time writing. All you have to do is take one glance at the average age of most published authors.

I want to find a way to properly indulge my passion. I don't want to be billionaire from it, I just want to do it without being hindered.
    Be prepared for dissapointment then. I'm not being overly sceptical I am being realistic. You are speaking as if writing for a living is not s much to ask. That is my point, it is so much to ask and more. To be honest, I would say the right way to feel is satisfied that no matter what you are doing in life you will be able to write, even if it is on your day off each week between eleven hour shifts at a mind numbing job.

To expect too much is to set yourself up for a depressing fall.

Everyone wants to make a living out of doing something that they love. This just happens to be mine.[/COLOR]
    Well then at least you accept it is a personal dream and aspiration. Unfortunately modern society values nothing but profit, and such literary pursuits have to come second to actually surviving and then thirdly to making money for somebody else. I sympathise, it is an intensely frustrating reality.

ReputationRep:
    Write a pop up book and use lots of colour.

ReputationRep:
    Write something contrevertial and put it on amazon then you will get lots of news coverage like the peadophile's guide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    Specifically, I want to be a novelist, but I realise that maybe short stories or something similarly small might be a more appropriate starting point into the industry, so that I might work my way up from there. However, the problem I am facing is being able to put myself into a public viewpoint where I might gain some attention and hopefully some useful critiquing from someone who might be able to offer me a way onto the shelves, as it were, should I be so lucky.
    I wouldn't call it an industry anymore. If Shakespeare had lived now, he would have been a film director or a script writer. You don't have much choice, unless you want to publish from your own pocket, as writing as part of industry is, as with anything, subject to supply and demand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRealDarthVader)
    There are several things you need to do, all of which depend on where you want to go. Do you want to write novels? Biographies? Opinion pieces? News articles?

Here's what you need to do:
    - Gain a sense of unwarrented self-importance. You need this as a writer. You have to believe that everyone wants to know what you think.
    - Be negative in your approach. People in this country like to read about people who fail and things that suck. Even if someone has spent a lot of time and effort on something, they suck and they fail, and your readers need to know how and why.
    - You must develop a very sarcastic and scornful sense of humour where you are able to imply that what ever you are writing about is so incredibly far beneath you that you wouldn't be writing about it if it wasn't your job.
    - From now on you can't enjoy anything. Everything is crap.
    - Hind sight is 20/20 - always remember that. When someone cocks up, use the knowledge of how and why to tell your readers what an idiot they are, and what a far superior being like yourself would have done in those circumstances.
    - Put your own spin on everything. Don't just report the facts, people want to know what to think about it too, and remember, everything sucks and everyone fails.
    - Never ever try or attempt to do the very things that you are writing about. Doing so would mean that you are on a level with the person that you are criticising, and as a writer, you can't have that.

Hope this helps
    true true

I don't know whether it is the latent sexist in me, but Daisy Waugh really pisses me off (she writes for Mail on Sunday and believes herself to be more than the granddaughter of a famous writer)

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you post some work on TSR, and let others judge and criticize it?

ReputationRep:
    Just do it, do the things in life that make you happy, a lot of people will end up doing jobs they hate, getting divorced and eventually being depressed, you need to at least, try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayne101)
    Just do it, do the things in life that make you happy, a lot of people will end up doing jobs they hate, getting divorced and eventually being depressed, you need to at least, try.
    Thank you. There are a few posts on here where people have advised giving up before even starting because of the competitive nature of what I want to do. This advice isn't in great detail, but I appreciate with gratitude that some people do think it's worth chasing your dreams. Ha ha.

ReputationRep:
    Who inspires you?
    What are you passionate enough about to write about?

I am also an aspiring novelist, it would be a real dream of mine. I can only wish you the best of luck really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotalLifeForever)
    Who inspires you?
    What are you passionate enough about to write about?

I am also an aspiring novelist, it would be a real dream of mine. I can only wish you the best of luck really
    Thank you! I wish you all the best also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    To expect too much is to set yourself up for a depressing fall.
    Have you never heard of 'Aim for the stars and maybe you'll reach the sky'?

You to have aspirations and dreams, they're vital in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    Thank you! I wish you all the best also.
    Thanks
    Who are your favourite authors?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotalLifeForever)
    Thanks
    Who are your favourite authors?
    Fun ones!! Ha ha, oh, really, there are loads. When I was younger, I really liked Dickens because we used to go on holiday to a place where there was a little museum that did his massive books for £1.50, so my dad bought be a whole bunch. Now, I like Darren Shan and Dean Koontz and Alexandre Dumas and Ben Elton. Weird combination, I know. Of course, among others :P

What about yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    Fun ones!! Ha ha, oh, really, there are loads. When I was younger, I really liked Dickens because we used to go on holiday to a place where there was a little museum that did his massive books for £1.50, so my dad bought be a whole bunch. Now, I like Darren Shan and Dean Koontz and Alexandre Dumas and Ben Elton. Weird combination, I know. Of course, among others :P

What about yours?
    Very nice, you have to love a bit of Dickens, especially at that price :P
    Well I like lots of different writers, like Aldous Huxley, Kurt Vonnegut, F Scott Fitzgerald, Oscar Wilde, Jack Kerouac, Sebastian Faulks, and poetry by T.S.Eliot, Ezra Pound, Dante, Sylvia Plath...and lots more :P I love a good book!

ReputationRep:
    I'd happily read any of your stuff if you were willing to share it with me. In terms of being noticed I guess it's all about developing your own style of writing, whether you're writing novels, articles or any other piece of writing, just try and use Tone, Sentence Structure, Word Choice and any use of extended language to attract attention. Just mix it up and find something that suits, there is hundreds of ways of apprroaching writing things out there and thousands of ways of putting your idea across. Good Luck! xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.