Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why am I so unmotivated? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    try imagining yourself after you do all this stuff and how it'll feel, and focus on that image?

i like thinking about what i will achieve if i get something done rather than focusing on what will happen if i don't get it done

ReputationRep:
    I blame my lack of motivation on the fact that Leicester Uni rejected me. Being the only place I liked for my course it really puts you down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportycricketer)
    This is happening to me as well. During the day I hardly work and then at night I feel so worried about how will I get the grades I need for universities. I find that motivation probably would be getting the top uni offer but then again, whether that or not, I still need to work hard (I don't have any offers).
    I know have to but just don't know how to motivate my self. When people tell me they are revising I find it intimidating and then only realise I have to work but thats still now enough :/
    This is me :rolleyes: Then again, I got my top uni offer and I'm still not motivated.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same.

I try to think about the rewards of studying and that will usually motivate me. Or, when possible, I study with pen and paper (instead of using a computer) as this will help make some of the distractions less accessible.

ReputationRep:
    Good Morning. |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    \/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    Good Morning. |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    \/
    The problem with your (fantastic) attempt at motivating people is that they'll either:

a) Use it as an excuse to procrastinate and make themselves feel better that they haven't done any work. "I'll do what he said right after I read all of it, I can't start without reading it all!"

or

b) Read it in the evening when they're worrying about how they've done no work, and use your writings to make themselves feel better.

I've actually (sort of) dug myself out of procrastination. The first week of holidays was great for me, but then I just stopped because of Christmas and whathaveyou.

To be honest with you, if you don't revise now, fine. Don't. You'll just go into your summer exams knowing that you didn't do as well as you could have, because you didn't try as hard as you did.

Slowly but surely, you'll become more lazy. You'll get your results for your summer exams, and whilst you haven't failed, exactly, you'll have barely gotten what you want so badly to achieve. Monotonously, you'll drift back into a world of self resentment and disappointment. You'll miss out on the grade that you needed by a fraction of a mark.

Before you know it, employers refuse to take you because there's an Oxford graduate who did work hard and got the mark. Soon, other employers follow suit and before you know it, you're unemployed and on the dole, you have no friends and your only chance for love has gone because there's no possible way you can go out and meet new people if you have to sit at home on the phone trying to claim benefits for yourself to scrape together enough money for food.

Soon enough, the years drift by and you're in your old age wondering where you went wrong. Then, whilst looking out of your window to a quiet garden and a lifeless outdoor playground under the glow of the moon, you'll realise what you missed out on, as the other old folks behind you are visited by their loving grandchildren.

All because you didn't revise.

ReputationRep:
    I have quit anything I have ever begun (apart from academic stuff funnily enough), I just procrastinate like a mother*****. No idea why I get so unmotivated either, must be laziness or fear of failure or something.

Meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderlust.xx)
    The problem with your (fantastic) attempt at motivating people is that they'll either:

a) Use it as an excuse to procrastinate and make themselves feel better that they haven't done any work. "I'll do what he said right after I read all of it, I can't start without reading it all!"

or

b) Read it in the evening when they're worrying about how they've done no work, and use your writings to make themselves feel better.

I've actually (sort of) dug myself out of procrastination. The first week of holidays was great for me, but then I just stopped because of Christmas and whathaveyou.

To be honest with you, if you don't revise now, fine. Don't. You'll just go into your summer exams knowing that you didn't do as well as you could have, because you didn't try as hard as you did.

Slowly but surely, you'll become more lazy. You'll get your results for your summer exams, and whilst you haven't failed, exactly, you'll have barely gotten what you want so badly to achieve. Monotonously, you'll drift back into a world of self resentment and disappointment. You'll miss out on the grade that you needed by a fraction of a mark.

Before you know it, employers refuse to take you because there's an Oxford graduate who did work hard and got the mark. Soon, other employers follow suit and before you know it, you're unemployed and on the dole, you have no friends and your only chance for love has gone because there's no possible way you can go out and meet new people if you have to sit at home on the phone trying to claim benefits for yourself to scrape together enough money for food.

Soon enough, the years drift by and you're in your old age wondering where you went wrong. Then, whilst looking out of your window to a quiet garden and a lifeless outdoor playground under the glow of the moon, you'll realise what you missed out on, as the other old folks behind you are visited by their loving grandchildren.

All because you didn't revise.

+repped.

There is this girl that I've known for quite a long time, almost everytime she speaks to me - she tells me to send her the links of my motivation posts. I do, and she never reads them. It's quite funny actually.

I don't know how people struggle to find a purpose in life. My parents always told me how the PlayStation was/is the worst thing that came into this world. Facebook is even worse. I deliberately have only 6 people on my friends list, not because of procrastination but because those 6 people are my only friends. I don't know how people can do anything productive talking to the 400+ people they've met once - gossiping all day.

People just don't these understand basic laws - What you put in, is what you get out. What part is hard to understand? If you don't believe in yourself, then who will?

I think one of the worst mistakes I've ever made was trying to help someone who refused to help themselves.

Students are by far the kings and queens of procrastination. People need to stand up on their own two feet and look at the mirror before it's too late.

It's 1/4 to 12 on 29th December 2010, time is ticking. That exam is in a week's time. Unplug your modem/internet/tv and start revising. You'll regret it if you don't.

ReputationRep:
    I am exactly the same and I don't know what to do. I got really good GCSEs by cramming (started revising about a month/two months before) and everyone keeps telling me that I can't do that for AS Levels. I have four essays, some German exercises, a set of History questions, and a book to read before next Tuesday, and I haven't done any of it. Because we're expected to write on paper and not in books, all my work is everywhere. On top of that, I have clarinet and piano practise (which I REALLY don't want to give up). Exams just seem ages away and I feel so unmotivated compared to September, when I was getting homework done on the day I was set it. Going out or talking to the boy I like just seems so much more attractive. I get work done, but I'm always really stressed about it and sometimes I don't hand things in on time. One of my essays was due in over a week ago and I've just left it. I know the only solution is to get on with it but it seems like it's out of my control.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.