Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

500 Days Of Summer Watch

ReputationRep:
    really enjoyed this film - and have a huge crush on zooey deschennel

ReputationRep:
    My favourite film <3

ReputationRep:
    If you want more of Zooey, try The Go Getter, another indie film with a great soundtrack.

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed 500 Days Of Summer. Although I would have liked to see him end up with Summer, it's refreshing to see a movie where the guy doesn't get the girl, paints a more rounded picture as opposed to these movies where they fall in love and everything ends up happy ever after. I loved the scene in Ikea
    "Darling, I don't know how to tell you this, but... There's an asian family in our bathroom."

ReputationRep:
    It's a good film overall. The ending is dead cheesy though and could've done without it.

The "expectations v reality" scene is an absolute winner though. Couldn't have been done better.

Summer is a total ***** though haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amandacalifornia)
    Ya, I loved it. The ending was probably my favorite part because it was so non-conventional but is a regular occurrence in everyone's love life. He finds the right girl in the end, anyways.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is indie and has very similar themes if you haven't already seen it. It has a good soundtrack, too.
    Yes, I agree on both points.
    Eternal Sunshine is a great film, but I'm probably swayed mostly by my love of Jim Carrey...

ReputationRep:
    I kind of liked it- I think my expectations were too high because loads of people were raving about it. I love Zooey, but I think Summer was a little odd. Her character was great, really funny and quirky, but the end of the relationship was so sudden. It was all great and happy- and then suddenly she went off him, for no reason. I know she didn't want a boyfriend, but still.

And I was really confused by all the 'day' bits. I got really confused. I think it might be because I'm a bit stupid. The Autumn character didn't really look like his type though, not quirky enough. But I guess the quirky girl didn't work out too well for him last time.

The soundtrack was great, although I'm not a massive fan of The Smiths, but it was still pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    I want to drunkenly sing "Here Comes Your Man" on karaoke because of this film.
    The guy who plays Tom is hottt, although I have a slight girl crush on Zooey too.

ReputationRep:
    One of my colleagues recommended me watching this one, it turned out to be the smartest move I've ever made, terrific movie. It just tops my fav lists the day I watched it. Summer is a bit odd in the movie, with that will-o-the-wisp kind of feeling haunting around, maybe Summer is not a good fit for him. =x

Anyways I'll go get a bluray of it and watch it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King CalZ)
    Really quite liked the film and it was a great soundtrack - sweet disposition <3

Anyone like the film? Thought he would get with summer in the end but:/

Any more indie/kind of films like this?
    I enjoyed it too.

If you like this type of film, I recommend Waitress - it's an indie film and quite quirky.

ReputationRep:
    This film drove me up the wall. I had heard such good things about it, yet

Spoiler:
    Show
    she was a self-obsessed *****, and he was a complete idiot/weirdo. They had a horrible relationship that dragged on far longer than it should have done. Who honestly thought that forcing the audience to wade through the stench of a doomed relationship would be an uplifting plot for a film?

ReputationRep:
    Who said the film is meant to be uplifting? It's not, even if the ending seemed to be like that.

She WAS a self obsessed ***** and he WAS a hapless idiot but Tom didn't realise that. Everything was from his point of view, that's IMO why they didn't have to bother explaining who Summer ended up marrying and why she broke up with Tom/got with the new guy so quickly. It doesn't matter. From Tom's point of view, no explanation is going to be sufficient and help him. The sad thing is there are characters out there like this.

The way the story is told (sometimes in reverse etc.) is a bit odd, makes it all quirky etc. but for me it's all about the characters. I've been in that situation, it stinks, and it's confusing as hell but eventually find a way out. I can't think of many films that look at relationships from the point of view of the guy getting madly obsessed but eventually hurt. Thats why I think the expectations/reality scene is SO good. Exact same thing happened to me last year. It happens to loads of people and most people can't help it, their mind takes over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishfacesimpson)
    Who said the film is meant to be uplifting? It's not, even if the ending seemed to be like that.

She WAS a self obsessed ***** and he WAS a hapless idiot but Tom didn't realise that. Everything was from his point of view, that's IMO why they didn't have to bother explaining who Summer ended up marrying and why she broke up with Tom/got with the new guy so quickly. It doesn't matter. From Tom's point of view, no explanation is going to be sufficient and help him. The sad thing is there are characters out there like this.

The way the story is told (sometimes in reverse etc.) is a bit odd, makes it all quirky etc. but for me it's all about the characters. I've been in that situation, it stinks, and it's confusing as hell but eventually find a way out. I can't think of many films that look at relationships from the point of view of the guy getting madly obsessed but eventually hurt. Thats why I think the expectations/reality scene is SO good. Exact same thing happened to me last year. It happens to loads of people and most people can't help it, their mind takes over.
    But for a film to affect you in any way, you have to be able to relate to (at least) one of the characters, and start rooting for things to go right for them. The two of them were just so desperately unlikeable that rather than hoping it would magically work out, I spent the whole movie desperately wishing they would both suddenly get brutally murdered. Surely that's not what the director intended?

And her ridiculous "relationship philosophy" (which was basically the central message of the film) annoyed me as well, because it was such a stupid pile of unredeemable ****e it made me want to gnaw off my own arm in mortified embarassment that anyone could ever be that callow and naive as to even come up with it in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    :boring: i usually love chick flicks but this is the most boring film i've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    Thought it was alright, definitely watchable, and had some laughs.

I'd really recommend High Fidelity, same sort of thing, but much better, and much funnier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    But for a film to affect you in any way, you have to be able to relate to (at least) one of the characters, and start rooting for things to go right for them. The two of them were just so desperately unlikeable that rather than hoping it would magically work out, I spent the whole movie desperately wishing they would both suddenly get brutally murdered. Surely that's not what the director intended?

And her ridiculous "relationship philosophy" (which was basically the central message of the film) annoyed me as well, because it was such a stupid pile of unredeemable ****e it made me want to gnaw off my own arm in mortified embarassment that anyone could ever be that callow and naive as to even come up with it in the first place.
    Similar thing happened in my life last year. Does it make me callow and naive? Probably. Does it mean there aren't tons and tons of people like that out there? Nope.

I can relate to the film MASSIVELY. Maybe that's why it appealed to me but not to you or others having not been in that position.

Also, on the point that you disliked both characters and that's not what the director intended. Maybe, but I disagree. The film is told from Tom's point of view but he has his own big character flaws which he doesn't see and does nothing to remedy till near the end of the 500 days. Summer also has massive flaws in the way she acts with him but doesn't see it, or doesn't care about it. The viewer will either side with the character he/she has most empathy for based on their own personal experiences or be "neutral" and see the flaws in both of them, like you have. Whether they're likeable is neither here nor there.

It maybe implausible to you but I think you are more naive to think characters like Tom and Summer don't exist, when in actual fact the world is littered with people like that to varying degrees.

ReputationRep:
    My favourite movie! Joseph Gordon Levitt is amazing nott to mention undeniably hot! The soundtrack is amazing. Through it I discovered my love for Regina Spektor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishfacesimpson)
    Similar thing happened in my life last year. Does it make me callow and naive? Probably. Does it mean there aren't tons and tons of people like that out there? Nope.

I can relate to the film MASSIVELY. Maybe that's why it appealed to me but not to you or others having not been in that position.

Also, on the point that you disliked both characters and that's not what the director intended. Maybe, but I disagree. The film is told from Tom's point of view but he has his own big character flaws which he doesn't see and does nothing to remedy till near the end of the 500 days. Summer also has massive flaws in the way she acts with him but doesn't see it, or doesn't care about it. The viewer will either side with the character he/she has most empathy for based on their own personal experiences or be "neutral" and see the flaws in both of them, like you have. Whether they're likeable is neither here nor there.

It maybe implausible to you but I think you are more naive to think characters like Tom and Summer don't exist, when in actual fact the world is littered with people like that to varying degrees.

So if I had similar major character flaws, I would have been able to relate to the characters more and hence increased my enjoyment?

So what you're saying is... its a film for losers?

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't terrible but from all the reviews I expected more. It had a few good moments but I thought it was a bit boring at times. I can see how it's different because in the end he doesn't get the girl but still.

ReputationRep:
    really enjoyed this movie

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.