Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    I wouldn't know about Scotland or NI but Wales is very, very average
    Is Snowdonia only 'very, very average' ? I think it is spectacular.

Pembrokeshire is also pretty high on my list of 'above average' standard countryside, but that is possibly the result of many childhood holidays there.

ReputationRep:
    Well apart from being the 6th largest manufacturing economy in the entire world we have London, one of the (if not the) leading financial centre in the world through the London Stock Exchange and the presence of many major companies such as Lloyd's and Citigroup. We have a very strong pharmaceuticals sector with the likes of GlaxoSmithKline and the UK is a major arms manufacturer with BAE Systems, Rolls Royce, VT Group and host of other companies providing a significant proportion of the worlds arms production and exports. The UK is home to many large energy and mining companies such as BP, Royal Dutch Shell, Anglo American and Rio Tinto. Heathrow is the busiest airport in the world providing a hub of transport to the rest of the world. Our Military despite cuts is still one of the most advanced in the world and sercivices such as MI5, SIS and GCHQ through agreements like the UKUSA allow us to keep one step ahead of our enemies. Plus we make world beating cheese.

ReputationRep:
    Nice tea
    The Jeremy kyle show
    Kerry Katona
    Top Gear

ReputationRep:
    music

ReputationRep:
    knife crime? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Peep Show.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    Well? As far as I understand the best thing we have going for us is the city of London, but since those guys are experts in dodging tax (usually in a legal manner ofc) I just don't understand what we have to offer the world in general.
    Hmm... You underestimate how big the city of London is financially- if we're talking in economic terms- the UK is home to some of the biggest investment banks out there, and we're talking billions of trade every day.
    The UK leads economically in:
    Pharmaceuticals
    Technology
    Defence- BAE Systems provides some of the best quality defence out there, and has big contracts with the US, Saudi and loads of other countries.
    And ofcourse banking, law and other financial and corporate sectors.

So there is a lot that the UK has economically!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    It hasn't got a patch on unspoiled (say Turkish) countryside beauty with its mountains, hills, rivers, forests, etc.
    Turkey. Best country evar. :love:

As for England and the UK:

- Humour in its finest form, i.e., not peasant slapstick or clichéd toilet humour from the US.
    - Literature
    - London

That's all I can think of really and I've lived here for 8 years. I have no desire to go anywhere outside Greater London unless it was for camping. It looks so damn boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    Well? As far as I understand the best thing we have going for us is the city of London, but since those guys are experts in dodging tax (usually in a legal manner ofc) I just don't understand what we have to offer the world in general.

The best football league, financial centre and musicians.

ReputationRep:
    The UK is one of the world's greatest creators of videogames, from the bedroom coders like Matthew Smith (Manic Miner/ Jet Set Willy) back in the early 80s through to a host of studios in the early 90s like the Bitmap Brothers and Psychognsis. The 3D gaming age, with the launch of the PS1, in the mid 90s unfortunately saw a lot of British studios go out of business but there is still Rare, Rockstar, Media Molecule (Little Big Planet), Lionhead and Codemasters doing world famous work.

Unfortunately, our mainstream media prefers to solely create programmes about whether violent videogames are harmful to us instead of also creating programmes about the talented British individuals and teams in the gaming industry and some of the more innocent games that they create - even Rockstar made a table tennis game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smelly Ellie)
    Being rich or poor does not determine your 'kind'. How is it unnatural for rich and poor to mix? You are basically saying the lower classes are foul mouthed and extroverted which is untrue in most cases, and rich people are often like that. Just because someone is working class does not make them any less intelligent or polite than someone who is upper class.

I am glad you don't want to mix with people like me because quite frankly you sound so far up your own bum a conversation would be difficult.
    You're an unutterable fool. As I was reading that, I knew you'd be working class, which, I'll have you know, I am also. I come from one of the most ' undesirable', shall we say, areas in Essex. You've put words in my mouth and fabricated an argument I never made; what I said is exactly true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by initiation)
    Well apart from being the 6th largest manufacturing economy in the entire world we have London, one of the (if not the) leading financial centre in the world through the London Stock Exchange and the presence of many major companies such as Lloyd's and Citigroup. We have a very strong pharmaceuticals sector with the likes of GlaxoSmithKline and the UK is a major arms manufacturer with BAE Systems, Rolls Royce, VT Group and host of other companies providing a significant proportion of the worlds arms production and exports. The UK is home to many large energy and mining companies such as BP, Royal Dutch Shell, Anglo American and Rio Tinto. Heathrow is the busiest airport in the world providing a hub of transport to the rest of the world. Our Military despite cuts is still one of the most advanced in the world and sercivices such as MI5, SIS and GCHQ through agreements like the UKUSA allow us to keep one step ahead of our enemies. Plus we make world beating cheese.
    Look, I'm sorry, but being home to immoral and unethical giants like BP, Shell, Anglo American or Rio Tinto is not something to be proud of. That's like being proud of having cancer.

There are lots of good British companies in the world, but all of these four have shirked social and environmental responsibilities entirely to turn a ridiculous profit, and then avoid tax on that profit through tax avoidance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick.w)
    the thing i love about the UK is how mixed the country. i know americas mixed but they dont actully mix they are a lot more segregated.
    Eh? Not really. It's not the 60's anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Many Muslims, some black people and a few white people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catsss)
    Eh? Not really. It's not the 60's anymore.
    i dont no what your saying "not really" to

ReputationRep:
    crumpets tea biscuits queen

ReputationRep:
    Land?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by initiation)
    Fair nuff. But those companies, although they're British in name do they not have creative bases of operation etc. as to avoid taxation? What actually makes them British? Ok, they might have started here... but now what.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick.w)
    i dont no what your saying "not really" to
    " i know americas mixed but they dont actully mix they are a lot more segregated."

No, we aren't. I've lived in the Southern United States since I was 3. I've never seen segregation.

ReputationRep:
    It's own humour.

I'll admit it's not the best in terms of countryside though, other then Scotland.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.