Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Wow slackware does my head in
    i think ill stick with kubuntu by far the most coolest in terms of looks features and you can use compiz as well
    I don't know what Compiz is, but you can achieve the same look on almost any distro by using KDE.

I prefer fluxbox though, or did 7 years ago. Most probably because it was extremely lightweight and ran so smoothly on a really low spec laptop I had solely for Linux.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    Yeah, it's kind of silly. I was trying to edit the hosts file in some stupid way, can't really remember how tbh. I probably shouldn't have even attempted using sudo on mac os x if the operation I was trying to do wasn't allowed under normal user permissions.
    I've never really had a problem with sudo when it comes to using Linux really. The few times I've messed up I've always been able to undo the mistakes I've made.
    And okay ^_^. Probably better, for some reason though I just like running OS' not from a VM :P.

Hehe awesome about the compatibility ^_^. And cool, Slackware's probably the most complex OS I've used really. Maybe in a year or two I'll install Gentoo...
    For me I gave it 1.5 GB RAM... I think(I have 3 GB RAM btw) and 20 GB HDD space, for the VM. You've probably taken this into account, but if you're using FAT 32 then it'll complain about files above 4 GB.
    If all you want is applications then 10-15 GB should be fine really. A full install takes up around 5-6 GB.
    On my dual-boot install it's only 20 GB too(I removed the VM) and I've never really felt the need for anything more, even though I'll occasionally download podcasts, tv shows, films and stuff and then delete them after watching.
    EMZ=]
    Ye I just gave it 1gb ram and 25gb HD space. I think I should be ok.

(Original post by Steph90)
    I don't know what Compiz is, but you can achieve the same look on almost any distro by using KDE.

I prefer fluxbox though, or did 7 years ago. Most probably because it was extremely lightweight and ran so smoothly on a really low spec laptop I had solely for Linux.
    U should use ubuntu netbook edition then it looks good (i-want it on touch screen)

ReputationRep:
    Ye I just gave it 1gb ram and 25gb HD space. I think I should be ok.
    Hehe, awesome . More than enough ^_^.
    Let us know how the install goes !
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    U should use ubuntu netbook edition then it looks good (i-want it on touch screen)
    I started my slackware install less than 10 mins ago. The prompt now reads.. "Installing Package K" or something. So its not slow or hard at all.

It took 2 mins to partition the drive and start the installation.

And you were saying it does your head in :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    See above

I was going to wait for after New Years day, but I'm not doing anything now so I thought I might aswell..

ReputationRep:
    See above

I was going to wait for after New Years day, but I'm not doing anything now so I thought I might aswell..
    Win ^_^. AFAIK, there's actually more packages after Z... .
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    Win ^_^. AFAIK, there's actually more packages after Z... .
    EMZ=]
    Well its already installing Samba. Its going much quicker than I thought...

I just checked the screen a min ago it said .. "Installing OpenSSL" lol, I just thought to myself... what the **** for?

But thats what you get when you choose the easy way out. (Full Install)

ReputationRep:
    Well its already installing Samba. Its going much quicker than I thought...

I just checked the screen a min ago it said .. "Installing OpenSSL" lol, I just thought to myself... what the **** for?

But thats what you get when you choose the easy way out. (Full Install)
    Yeah, I had a wtf face a couple of times during the install. I was browsing my package directory and some stuff installed is so obscure... Yet, it doesn't come with GNOME...
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    Yeah, I had a wtf face a couple of times during the install. I was browsing my package directory and some stuff installed is so obscure... Yet, it doesn't come with GNOME...
    EMZ=]
    Its finished.. system rebooting now

ReputationRep:
    Its finished.. system rebooting now
    Win ! I guess my estimation of 2-3 hours may have been slightly inaccurate(that or my computer and cd rom drive is just slow :P) xD.
    EMZ=]

Lol linux takes like 1 hour to install its normal???

ReputationRep:
    Linux is just a kernal, every distribution will vary because it's down to the distribution developers(and the user in a lot of cases) how much is installed/not installed. It'd also vary how long it takes to install because different users have different hardware.
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Emor)
    Linux is just a kernal, every distribution will vary because it's down to the distribution developers(and the user in a lot of cases) how much is installed/not installed. It'd also vary how long it takes to install because different users have different hardware.
    EMZ=]
    I was suprised with how quick it was too. But I have 4gb ram & a blueray drive (dont know what speed off hand).

I did a full install too.

But I've faced my first problem - this is going to probably sound wierd, but i've double checked the ISO i've downloaded to make sure the MD5 matches etc. But there is no LILOconfig?

Due to this the setup has totally skipped that part and I'm having trouble booting :-/ I think I'm going to have to create a boot disk or something and install & configure lilo

ReputationRep:
    I was suprised with how quick it was too. But I have 4gb ram & a blueray drive (dont know what speed off hand).

I did a full install too.

But I've faced my first problem - this is going to probably sound wierd, but i've double checked the ISO i've downloaded to make sure the MD5 matches etc. But there is no LILOconfig?

Due to this the setup has totally skipped that part and I'm having trouble booting :-/ I think I'm going to have to create a boot disk or something and install & configure lilo
    Have you tried booting into the install cd, then mounting whatever disk you installed / onto and then seeing if there's /etc/lilo.conf ? Then you could edit it manually maybe and run /sbin/lilo ?
    But that's a crappy error . I was fortunate enough for it too at least boot before any errors.
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    I use Linux for uni work and as a boot disc OS to access fooked hard disks etc., but I wouldn't use it as my main desktop OS; I just keep it in a VM. I found Ubuntu 10.10 to be pretty sluggish on my netbook compared to XP or Win7 and I don't like to spend half my life tweaking my OS these days.

Bash (and the builtins) are about 1 million times better than the Windows command line though.

ReputationRep:
    It would be my main OS of choice if I could run Photoshop on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    It would be my main OS of choice if I could run Photoshop on it
    http://getsatisfaction.com/adobe/top...uite_for_linux
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    If only! Adobe like making overpriced software too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    Have you tried booting into the install cd, then mounting whatever disk you installed / onto and then seeing if there's /etc/lilo.conf ? Then you could edit it manually maybe and run /sbin/lilo ?
    But that's a crappy error . I was fortunate enough for it too at least boot before any errors.
    EMZ=]
    Yeah well my thinking was to boot using the install drive. Find the Lilo install package on the dvd once its booted, copy it on the HD and install it manually. But its not happening for some reason.

Pkgtool is not giving any error messages when installing, there is still no /etc/lilo.conf though.

The Liloconfig file is not in /sbin/ like I think it should be. However, now when i type 'liloconfig' there isn't a 'not found' error, but it just doesn't do anything.

Confused!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.