Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Poll: Who will make it big from the urban music scene in 2011? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who is gonna impact the mainstream and be in the charts? YOU CAN VOTE FOR MORE THAN 1
    Jessie J
    32.50%
    Yasmin
    10.00%
    Ed Sheeran
    12.50%
    Skepta
    35.00%
    Loick Essien
    12.50%
    Talay Riley
    0%
    Bashy
    7.50%
    Emeli Sande
    7.50%
    Wretch 32
    25.00%
    Griminal
    7.50%
    Jodie Connor
    7.50%
    JME
    10.00%
    Maverick Sabre
    7.50%
    Giggs
    20.00%
    Tempa T (Tempzzzzz)
    22.50%
    Other - please state
    15.00%

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCIymQD8eMw

2011 is his year.

ReputationRep:
    I think Skepta will do it and I'm hoping that Sway will!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    This is exactly why I hate UK music nowadays, it's ALL R&B... awful. We've had it all through 2010, and you're probably right, we'll have it all through 2011.
    Iron Maiden's new album is awesome, and they're UK through and through... but I get where you're coming from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Your list is flawed, half of them have already charted and are signed...

Big H
    Most of them are signed but Jessie J & Skepta are the only ones who have charted?

ReputationRep:
    Wretch 32 has that Traktor song which will get him into the charts, Jodie Connor had Good Times and she's really fit, Skepta's pretty well known he'll defo make it big. I hope Skepta doesn't sell out tho and become another chipmunk, I'd like to see Lowkey, Maverick Sabre, and Ghetts, but the stuff they rap about and their style will keep em out of the charts.

ReputationRep:
    perhaps Black da ripper... Sneakbo is relatively new and might make it but can't believe no one's mentioned DVS. Best UK artist right now!! I ain't even brikky.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of any of those people.

But then again i'm white and middle class :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    I've never heard of any of those people.

But then again i'm white and middle class :sexface:
    you will have heard of them by this time next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza_00)
    Most of them are signed but Jessie J & Skepta are the only ones who have charted?
    Giggs, Loick Essien, Jodie Connor, Yasmin, Bashy, Talay Riley and even Tempa t have charted to an extent, not as individuals, but as features etc so most people know who they are.

JME's album is doing extremly well too. But that ain't real urban music, it's just pop **** really.

Giggs is kinda genuine urban music, well his album is, but the rest is just bubblegum stuff

ReputationRep:
    I don't know any of them.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully no one

ReputationRep:
    Jesse J & Wretch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SayonaraSamm)
    Iron Maiden's new album is awesome, and they're UK through and through... but I get where you're coming from.
    Oh, there are plenty of great British artists releasing great albums, but the only genre of music that is EVER popular these days is 'urban'. I'm not asking for every band I like to become mainstream, but at least there was once some variance in the charts - a bit of pop, a bit of R&B, a bit of indie/rock... Now it's just all the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    Oh, there are plenty of great British artists releasing great albums, but the only genre of music that is EVER popular these days is 'urban'. I'm not asking for every band I like to become mainstream, but at least there was once some variance in the charts - a bit of pop, a bit of R&B, a bit of indie/rock... Now it's just all the same.
    There's no such genre as "urban"

But the mainsteam audience just wanna a decent beat with a catchy hook...

Who actually follows the charts anyway? Just listen to the music you like, **** the charts

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.