Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amsie/)
    i am somali and see myself as black
    i have no idea where this rubbish came from
    I kind of think it's wrong to group the whole peoples of Sub-Saharan Africa as 'black'. Race and skin tone are not the same thing! and as I said not all Somalis are dark skinned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    hi,

so ive been together with my boyfriend now for almost two years. we both doing postgrad in the same uni but different course..and we love each other to bits. theres only some things i worry about.

1. he's a secret to my parents. im muslim. but never been brought up religious. my parents arent overly religious either, but they believe i should marry one of our kind (from same country and muslim). however my brothers and cousins love him.

2. he's from a poor background. whereas i am fortunate to be extremely well off. it never bothered me...because he always worked hard for his money and always took me out to nice places...i know he generally wants to make a lot of money. and im really glad, cos i dont want to sound spoilt, but i do want to be rich. but not rich cos i want the best designer clothes and what not..but just that i know i have the choice to. and thats what my parents want from my future man. someone rich.

3. if i tell my parents about him. he would have to be the one for life. im scared of telling, not cos i dont think he's the one..but because in muslim cultures we dont do bf's/relationships. its just straight to marriage.

4.also...i black he white..no one in my family married a white person before. so i would be the first..and im not sure how my far relatives would take to that.

what should i do?
    I bet if he was a poor black man you would not have got with him and I'm prolly better looking than him too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoanyLisa)
    I understand that is what you believe. What I was pointing out is that, not everybody else believes that.

I used to be very religious, but I left Islam and am currently nor associated with any religion.
    do u mind me asking why you left

ReputationRep:
    Listen to your parents.

They know they more about life, than you.

They will also make the best decision for you.

ReputationRep:
    hi,

so ive been together with my boyfriend now for almost two years. we both doing postgrad in the same uni but different course..and we love each other to bits. theres only some things i worry about.

1. he's a secret to my parents. im muslim. but never been brought up religious. my parents arent overly religious either, but they believe i should marry one of our kind (from same country and muslim). however my brothers and cousins love him.

2. he's from a poor background. whereas i am fortunate to be extremely well off. it never bothered me...because he always worked hard for his money and always took me out to nice places...i know he generally wants to make a lot of money. and im really glad, cos i dont want to sound spoilt, but i do want to be rich. but not rich cos i want the best designer clothes and what not..but just that i know i have the choice to. and thats what my parents want from my future man. someone rich.

3. if i tell my parents about him. he would have to be the one for life. im scared of telling, not cos i dont think he's the one..but because in muslim cultures we dont do bf's/relationships. its just straight to marriage.

4.also...i black he white..no one in my family married a white person before. so i would be the first..and im not sure how my far relatives would take to that.

what should i do?
    you sound like an *********. WHo cares about money? Stop playing the game of "Who dies with the most wins" and start loving, however I can tell from your arrogant, trucculent posts that you are not much of a "catch" anyway, and he will undoubtedly leave you..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse)
    Bruv, I changed what I said after you quoted me and before you replied.

Also, Gambia is tiny and has a population of less than two million.
    yup i read it my point was that just because someone's blakc & muslim it doesn't automatically make you somali- 50% of nigeria is and about a third of ethiopians are i was just making a point no need to get wound up

ReputationRep:
    huh? there's other black muslims besides somalis
    I'm more into Leicester kitties. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    how about the YOU convert to CHRISTIANITY and become an EXILE of the islamic religion?

do it for love? ;D
    i'm all right, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    Easier said .
    Sweet baby girl. :sexface:

(Original post by MoanyLisa)
    I understand that is what you believe. What I was pointing out is that, not everybody else believes that.

I used to be very religious, but I left Islam and am currently nor associated with any religion.
    your a somali but a none muslim woow thats a first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mombasa Raha)
    I kind of think it's wrong to group the whole peoples of Sub-Saharan Africa as 'black'. Race and skin tone are not the same thing! and as I said not all Somalis are dark skinned.
    You've just gone from making the claim that "Somali's don't consider themselves black" - to basically "I don't consider Somali's black."

Somali's are black. Deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    What a weird culture...

ReputationRep:
    your a somali but a none muslim woow thats a first
    :lolwut: There are users on here who are Somali and agnostic/atheist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse)
    So you're a somali then?
    Rich Somalis? Nahhh

(Original post by narusku)
    You should read Malorie Blakman's Noughts and crosses if only to give you an idea of the dystopia you would be contributing towards if you did not follow your heart
    i actually read that book when i was like 16

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths-science)
    do u mind me asking why you left
    Long story short. I started to look at religion as a whole, rather than at Islam exclusively. I found that the reason why I rejected all other religions, could also be applied to Islam. And it all started to fizzle out from there.

ReputationRep:
    yup i read it my point was that just because someone's blakc & muslim it doesn't automatically make you somali- 50% of nigeria is and about a third of ethiopians are i was just making a point no need to get wound up
    I wasn't getting wound up, mayne.

(Original post by Rassam)
    Rich Somalis? Nahhh
    True that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    Sweet baby girl. :sexface:
    Oh hello there

ReputationRep:
    One of my best friends is Muslim and he's been on and off seing this girl I'm also good friends with for the last 2 or 3 years - kind of the opposite situation I guess.
    It's messed up relationships they both have with friends and He's no longer as close to his sister as he used to be becaus she doesn't like having to lie to her parents to cover it all up for him. We've told him for years to just tell his parents.. The girl he's seeing wants a normal relationship too.

Personally i think you should talk to your boyfriend and ask him where he thinks you're going with the relationship. Two years is a long time to have a relationship without your parents knowing.. My parents have never agreed with any boyfriends I've had (I'm also fairly well off and seem to be attracted to guys who appear to have crap futures - I'm fairly driven and independent though so it's not an issue for me. Just my parents) but they trust my judgement. I'm white and not religious at all so it's different I guess. But what I'm saying is if you and your bf decide that you're going to be together for a long time to come.. once your parents see how much he cares for you they could learn to be okay with it..

ReputationRep:
    couldnt care less if i was a nob. thank you.

yes he is willing to convert to islam. and our children would be of islamic faith. and he has no problem with it.

i know we live in the 21st century but thats beside the point. it would disappoint my parents so much...and i dont want to hurt them. also..i am not 100% sure if he's the one for life. like if i tell my parents..then he has to be IT. i cant go back on my word. cos then id be perceived as a slut within the islam faith.

@maths-science ......... arent there consequences for muslim girls who indulge in numerous relationships without being married?
    People who divorce or break off an engagement are not seen as sluts in Islam...

Plus, if you really do love him then all of this worrying is silly. Why would it hurt your parents?
    It's ridiculous for them to be so adamant that you marry someone from your own country-what difference would it make? And if they're not religious then his religious beliefs should not matter.

You're an adult, it's your choice who you marry.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.