Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fit to fight, fit for life! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Was feeling sorry for myself and my weak-ass lats, so I went and did 3x10 negative pull ups. I can't do normal ones

...yet.

ReputationRep:
    Workout A

Squat 5 5 5 - 77.5kg (body weight squat - yes!)
    Bench 5 5 5 - 55kg (still hard )
    Deadlift 5 100kg (very hard - grip was difficult)
    'Negative' chin-ups 7 7 7

I was feeling cocky after my BW squat, so I whacked my deadlift up by 10kg, and managed it. My grip kept slipping so I will get some chalk before next Wednesday (hopefully).
    Bench is frustrating me. I desperately want to be lifting 60kg by the Monday after next. I've decided to start doing negative chin-ups cos my lats/biceps are so weak I can't do more than 3 in a row.

It's exam time so I've been getting very little sleep Just gotta power on through. My eating is still up-to-scratch and I still do a bit of cardio. Just played a 5-a-side football match, hockey match tomorrow and then another 5-a-side game on Sunday. Busybusybusy.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely shattered from hockey. Played right-mid so I was up and down like a yo-yo. Got hit in the thigh by a wayward hit, so now I've got dead leg. I'm hoping it'll subside before Monday so I can squat cos I'm gonna reach 85kg by next Friday and I don't want to hurt it more by doing heavy weights...

...well, heavy to me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If your grip is slipping on deadlifts and you're not a competitive powerlifter then there is no problem with using straps. Probably better than mixed grip given that a double overhand (or hook) grip won't put an uneven stress on the shoulders. Safer too in terms of biceps tears.

ReputationRep:
    Workout B

Squat 5 5 DNS - 80kg (My leg was killing me, so I packed it in on the third set)
    Press 5 5 5 - 37.5kg (worked hard on these)
    Rows 5 5 5 - 45kg (fine)
    Chins 7 7 7 - BW

Was ill Saturday evening through Sunday so I didn't eat much over the weekend - feeling better now, but I played two games of football last night, on top of not eating a lot. Bad idea. My legs are really tired and my quad still hurts from hockey. Really annoyed that I couldn't smash the 80kg barrier.
    Press was cool, an all time best actually. Looking forward to trying 40kg on Friday.

102.5kg deadlift on Wednesday - really psyched for it!

I desperately need to start eating more. I weighed myself this morning and I think I lost some weight over the weekend 78kg still. ****.

ReputationRep:
    Workout A

Squat 5 5 5 - 80kg (easy)
    Bench 5 5 5 - 57.5kg (the first set was deceptively easy, got harder)
    Deadlift 5 - 102.5kg (chalk hasn't come, so I improvised and used talc - was pretty easy)
    Chins 7 7 7 - BW (hardest of the workout - especially after the DLs killed my forearms)

Great workout today, though I missed my lunch today due to revising last night and forgetting to make it... I was disappoint. It's strange what a couple of early nights can do for your lifts! My diet is ok (I would say), I just don't get enough sleep! Definitely something I am gonna keep up from now on - 9.30pm bed time!

I beat my all-time bench PB today, and looks like I will be doing so for the next few workouts. 57.5kg felt good and I'll be pushing for 65 by the end of next week

Forgot to add - I'm up to 79kg now. Good stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Nice deadlifting.

I gotta chase your lifts now, nowhere near your deadlift. I need to improve mine a lot, may go for a 7.5kg jump for a few workouts as my squat has caught up as i'm squatting 3 times a week and deadlifting less...

ReputationRep:
    Workout B

Squat 5 4 5 - 85kg (came onto my toes on the last rep of middle set - counted as a fail)
    Press 5 5 5 - 40kg (made me work)
    Rows 5 5 5 - 45kg (easy)

A morning session today - not ideal, but I had to as I've got no time this evening. Managed to increase my squat by 5kg, which I was slightly nervous about. Luckily the gamble paid off.
    I was imPRESSed with my press - another all time best. I remember struggling with 30kg not too long ago - really does show that my strength has increased nicely in a month.

Diet was poor yesterday. Big breakfast, but lunch and food between meals were poor at best. Had a 16oz steak for dinner though, so that was a plus.

I'm going to get some creatine for funzies. Will probably cycle it, month on month off, as apparently the effect is dulled after prolonged use.

ReputationRep:
    Fairly restfull weekend - not too much cardio, so legs are doing good.
    Totally psyched for tomorrow. I'm determined to reach 90/65/110 by the end of the week. When I achieve that, I'll get some creatine in and see where my lifts go - hopefully I'll see a significant rise.

Now all I can do is sleep, and sleep good.

ReputationRep:
    Workout A

Squat 5 5 5 - 87.5kg (hard)
    Bench 5 5 4 - 60kg (failed last rep - not 'hard' though)
    Deadlifts 6 - 105kg (lost count and ended up doing six)

I can't be bothered with chin-ups at the moment. Probably incredibly lazy of me, but they really kill me. Squat was difficult at times, but was mostly good. Bench is hard. Period. I love to deadlift! Makes me sweat like a ***** though!

I don't think I will reach 65kg bench this week, will stick with 60kg until I can bust out the full 3x5. 90kg squat is looking hopeful though. I may take it easy and remain at 87.5 on Wednesday so that I reach it for Friday.

Need more sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blutarsky)
    **** really? Thanks for the heads up.

It seems eating is the hardest part of weight lifting :p:

Ironic, no?

Particularly for people to bulk up, they just don't eat enough high quality food. Some people find it hard to eat 3000 cals a day etc. But trust me, if you go into the Navy (not sure what sector you're looking at) you'll be eating 3-4000 calories a day just to maintain your weight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    Ironic, no?

Particularly for people to bulk up, they just don't eat enough high quality food. Some people find it hard to eat 3000 cals a day etc. But trust me, if you go into the Navy (not sure what sector you're looking at) you'll be eating 3-4000 calories a day just to maintain your weight!
    Ironic indeed!

I'm joining as a Warfare Officer - are you in the mob then?

ReputationRep:
    Ironic indeed!

I'm joining as a Warfare Officer - are you in the mob then?

God no! I'm still at University. Maybe in the future sometime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    God no! I'm still at University. Maybe in the future sometime
    Haha it would be a good choice!
    Thanks for taking the time to look at my blog btw

ReputationRep:
    Workout B

Squat - 5 5 5 87.5kg (hard, but form was better)
    Press - 5 5 3 42.5kg (Extremely hard, gonna carry on at this weight)
    Deadlift - 5 107.5kg (Hard, but felt really good. Cheated a bit cos I want 110kg DL by Friday)
    Chin-ups - 7 7 7 UW (Gonna add weight)

Today was meh. Didn't increase squat and failed on the press. I'm looking forward to re-trying the press after a rest though - can't wait!
    Creatine should be coming tomorrow, so I'll begin loading up tomorrow. I'm not expecting much, but hopefully I'll notice an increase in strength a few weeks down the line.
    Chin-ups are 'negatives' and I've noticed a very high increase in the strength of my biceps/lats. I used to be able to do 1 normal one, but I can now do 5!
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    I reckon start proper chin ups now...

I can do 10 proper ones,

But you beat me in everything else...Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    I reckon start proper chin ups now...

I can do 10 proper ones,

But you beat me in everything else...Lol
    This is what I am right now...

Chins are important in my goals cos I want to get bigger muskles :p:
    I've got particularly weak biceps though, so heaving 80kg up and down isn't so easy. I'll probably do negatives for another week or so, then swap when I've loaded up on creatine.

That's a point actually - have you considered creatine?

ReputationRep:
    This is what I am right now...

Chins are important in my goals cos I want to get bigger muskles :p:
    I've got particularly weak biceps though, so heaving 80kg up and down isn't so easy. I'll probably do negatives for another week or so, then swap when I've loaded up on creatine.

That's a point actually - have you considered creatine?
    Nah, when i counted last week i was eating about 130g + of protein a day sos didn't need it... May pick some stuff up cheap off t3h internets soon if i stall majorly soon...

Dw, i have zero biceps atm... My mate that does climbing kicks my ass when it comes to arms, tis embaressing. I have bigger legs but you can't flex them easily. Even though i tried...

ReputationRep:
    Creatine came today, so I started loading up. Having 20g a day for the next week, after which I'll have around 5g a day. Gonna have to keep hydrated now! Hopefully I'll notice a difference in a couple of weeks time. Can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    Workout A

Squat 5 5 5 - 90kg (felt awesome - challenging but do-able)
    Bench 5 5 5 - 60kg (felt good - last rep on last set felt heavier, but that's expected)
    Deadlift 5 110kg (Grip kept slipping, but felt good nonetheless)
    Negative Chins 7 7 7 BW

In all honesty, I felt really nervous for the squats today, but they felt way better than 87.5kg did. My form felt really good. I have tight hamstrings, so I feel a little tug when I go to parallel and below, and I sat back in my heels really nicely whilst pushing my knees out. Felt good man.

Bench was surprisingly easy, considering I failed on Monday. Will increase next Wednesday.

Deadlift felt good in my back and legs, but my arms really feel the weight because they're so weak and the grip was slipping - I need proper chalk, not talc powder lol. I'm throwing in bicep curls next week to try and strengthen my biceps.

Diet is looking good actually. Plenty of water, plenty of protein, plenty of carbs, plenty of cals. Got a 20oz steak for tonight - £6.50 from Sainsbury's cos it was on offer.

This week's word is: Sleep. I struggle without it and thrive with plenty.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.