The Student Room Group

Is it illegal to take clothes back after wearing them?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aws
surely he must be limited in this? in that, only so much he can return to the same store, even the same chain

and then he needs to invent new addresses all the time, etc ..

not illegal seeing as more store policy is "must be returned in a sale-able state" and seeing as people try on clothes in changing rooms, long as it doesn't appear used, I can see it happening.

True, but when you try clothes on you only really wear them for 5 minutes max - he's going about his daily business in them, sweating all day in them, and then returning them :puke:
Reply 41
It's just frown upon.

Like masturbating on an airplane.
Reply 42
Original post by aws
surely he must be limited in this? in that, only so much he can return to the same store, even the same chain

and then he needs to invent new addresses all the time, etc ..

not illegal seeing as more store policy is "must be returned in a sale-able state" and seeing as people try on clothes in changing rooms, long as it doesn't appear used, I can see it happening.

Yes, but it is fraudulent because you're buying them knowing you're going to return them after wearing them. You are obtaining an advantage dishonestly.
Reply 43
Original post by Beska

Like masturbating on an airplane.

That's what the blankets are for :P
Original post by Peteo
Ok, so I was talking to a friend the other day and he said he hasn't soepent anything on clothes apart from socks and undewear, since he has been at university. Of course I was intrigued to understand how. He said he wears clothes till they are ready for a wash, but so they don't smell and then takes them back (he leaves the tags etc on and just folds them inside) He ends up with designer clotnhes to wear for free and no washing/cleaning bills.

I also asked him:what if they smell that it's been used and he replied he doubts a shop assistant would dare say he smelt, and hasn't had that problem yet.

Sounds like a great idea for people on a budget, so was just wondering could you get into trouble?

Thanks.

I know loads of people who buy some £400 or so suits for someone's wedding and after wearing it, they return them back to the shop. They never get caught, because they only wear it on one or maximum 2 days and return it back.
Reply 45
Original post by Peteo
Ok, so I was talking to a friend the other day and he said he hasn't soepent anything on clothes apart from socks and undewear, since he has been at university. Of course I was intrigued to understand how. He said he wears clothes till they are ready for a wash, but so they don't smell and then takes them back (he leaves the tags etc on and just folds them inside) He ends up with designer clotnhes to wear for free and no washing/cleaning bills.

I also asked him:what if they smell that it's been used and he replied he doubts a shop assistant would dare say he smelt, and hasn't had that problem yet.

Sounds like a great idea for people on a budget, so was just wondering could you get into trouble?

Thanks.

I do this all the time but usually just with a dress for a night out or something.

It's not illegal. If the shop person accepts the return then it's fine, but they aren't under any obligation to if he's worn it out (usually the return policy will say it has to be in an unworn condition to be returned).
Original post by Peteo
Not likely....you're nitpicking.. I just asked him that and he said nope, it's never happened in the years he's been doing it..

Even if it did, why would he be so self conscious and insecure to care?

He seems self conscious and insecure enough that he feels he must wear designer clothes that he cant afford, so yeah, chances are he'd feel like a douche if the tags were seen. Just sayin.
Reply 47
usually it's written like this.

All items returned for a refund should be unworn and still have all price tickets and labelling intact. We reserve the right to refuse a refund on any items that are not fit for re-sale. This does not affect your statutory rights.

I guess if you are like me (i.e. don't sweat unless I was doing heavy exercise) then it'd hard to prove it was worn, but again, I think most stores if there's no obvious signs of wear/use then they'd give the customer the benefit of the doubt

so not illegal as such if you don't show signs of wear/don't get spotted by someone who works at the shop who sees you wear it as clothes are allowed to be tested on, etc ..
Reply 48
Original post by aws
usually it's written like this.

I guess if you are like me (i.e. don't sweat unless I was doing heavy exercise) then it'd hard to prove it was worn, but again, I think most stores if there's no obvious signs of wear/use then they'd give the customer the benefit of the doubt

so not illegal as such if you don't show signs of wear/don't get spotted by someone who works at the shop who sees you wear it as clothes are allowed to be tested on, etc ..

Yes, but by trying to return it you are both breaching the refund policy (not illegal) and committing fraud which is illegal. You are obtaining the benefit of owning the shop's property with the intention of returning the items. So you are obtaining a benefit by deception which is contrary to s2Fraud Act.

Of course, as you say, the worst that'll happen is them declining the refund.
Reply 49
Ohhhh, so that's why certain people get pissed off when their clothing is dirtied at parties. It means they can't bring it back, lol. This is a bit like a one night stand, immoral but not illegal.
Reply 50
I tell you what, you have given me a great idea. Ha Ha Ha.
Reply 51
OK...

For me, it says a lot about his integrity.

If he is that vacuous that he believes that wearing branded/unbranded clothing makes such a difference to his life that he should put himself in the position where he is buying things he cannot afford, whilst running a perpetual risk of accidentally damaging items he has no intention of keeping...

then he is what my friend would call a...knobgobbler...alas.
Reply 52
Your friend is a cheating skank. How would you or him like to work hard and save for the clothing (as many honest people do), only to discover it had been worn on numerous occasions and unwashed. Agreed you can not catch an STI, but there are host of skin infections that can be passed. If there is nothing wrong with it, honestly how many times has your " friend" told these "girlfriends" on the first date about his leasing clothes and the non washing. .??? None I am willing to bet. Yes I would dump someone with no integrity and who was untrust worthy... Because he is clear not the person he pretended,to be in the first place.

How very sad so many people think this is a great scam. Let me tell you all designers and stores know this happens and everything and I mean everything ,is taken in to consideration when costing the retail price... I know as I have been buying and merchandising director for a large high street store for years. Much the same insurance build in to polices for insurance scams or banks build credit risk in to your services charge. Ending result pushing the price up.for everyone. I would have no problem refusing you, if it was returned to me and it had been clearly worn for a period of time.. It is Fraud.. Tell your tramp friend to grow up. Although your a more than a little defensive of your "friend "behavior, when it was you asked for peoples thoughts on this forum..
To be honest it just leads to higher prices for everyone else a bit like insurance fraud.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending