Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peteo)
    Because parental achievement is often one of the best predictor of someone's child's achievement . Of coyurse this isn't 100% true but in more cases than not it is. This is because of a comindation of factors such as living in better areas with usually better schools which would make the person more likely to get better grades etc, or money for holidays that are educational, trips to museums, contacts with prospective employees and even parental input into work if they are not qualified themselves they may not be able to helpo somebody with a subject they are stuidyign with and many6 more reasons.

That's why parents finances come into play.
    Well that's not a very good argument. My parents are lawyers and know nothing about maths whatsoever so they can't help me there. I don't go to a good school, fair enough I don't live in an awful area but I go to an awful school with people from these areas. My parents don't exactly have any contacts in anything sciencey, and you'd need to be pretty seriously rich (ie millionaires) to pop off on an educational holiday, even though it depends how you use that term. I went to Boston with my dad for a week in October, is that educational? We learned lots about the American Wars of Independence, but that's not going to help with my education, just general curiosity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    Well we get by quite comfortably, but how much is accommodation usually? Around £100 a week? My household income it probably around £110k, then if you take off 40% tax, plus mortgage, plus living expenses I don't think I can afford accommodation without a loan.
    Sorry i did edit my post and add the minumin load of £2750, which in your case is reasonable is it not?

ReputationRep:
    Where did you pull 55k from? My dad alone probably earns more than that tbh...
    :eek3:

"My family isn't exactly rich"??? He earns more than double the average income, and that's without your mum's earnings... :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylesXD)
    Sorry i did edit my post and add the minumin load of £2750, which in your case is reasonable is it not?
    Yes but the difference is that I'll have to pay it back - those whose parents arent rich won't. The government says that you pay back loans based on your ability to pay later in life, but this argument doesn't really hold if they give the poorest the money for free. They could just as easily go on and earn huge salaries as me, but they don't have to pay back a huge loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    :eek3:

"My family isn't exactly rich"??? He earns more than double the average income, and that's without your mum's earnings... :P
    Well if I'd said we're rich the people would automatically think we were of the "let's go shooting old ****, eh?" people when we're not. We're not rich, we're just not poor, probably about the middle.

ReputationRep:
    Well if I'd said we're rich the people would automatically think we were of the "let's go shooting old ****, eh?" people when we're not. We're not rich, we're just not poor, probably about the middle.
    A household income of £110k is nowhere around the middle The mean income was £22,800 per year so mean for 2 adults in a household is £45k, and yours is over double that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    A household income of £110k is nowhere around the middle The mean income was £22,800 per year so mean for 2 adults in a household is £45k, and yours is over double that...
    Well we're not exactly loaded, we go on nice holidays and stuff, and two foreign holidays a year in mostly 4 star hotels (although we stayed in a nice 5 star one this summer in Croatia) but we don't exactly spend money like water. Yes we have nice things, but my Dad works bloody hard to get it, often he doesn't get in until 7pm, and it's not as if we're absolutely loaded, we can't afford to just throw money around the place either.

ReputationRep:

I just facepalm when I hear people say a household income of 110K is around the middle! Shows how they really are shielded from the real world.. My household income is nearly 10 times less than yours, yes, 10 times(my mother is on just above minimum wage)!! Yours is far in the rich minority and I can't believe how disillusioned you have become to believe you are around the middle...2 foreign holidays a year.. my household hasn't been on holiday for FIVE YEARS as my mother cannot afford it... yet you say you're not loaded...

Wow I seriously am just amazed..

ReputationRep:
    You didnt answer my question, you just ignored it, you may not be "rich" as a millionare but your 3 times better than someone who earns 25,000. WOW i should of guessed you get people like this on tsr. tbh you have compelete shocked me!

ReputationRep:
    Well we're not exactly loaded, we go on nice holidays and stuff, and two foreign holidays a year in mostly 4 star hotels (although we stayed in a nice 5 star one this summer in Croatia) but we don't exactly spend money like water. Yes we have nice things, but my Dad works bloody hard to get it, often he doesn't get in until 7pm, and it's not as if we're absolutely loaded, we can't afford to just throw money around the place either.
    OMG i aint been on hoilday for about 8 years, and the time i did someone else paid for it! Yeah i make money now, but i bet when you want something you get it, you are luck compare to most people. have YOU even ask your parents if they will help with your funds to uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    Putting your maintenance loan in an ISA is pointless for three reasons.

1) As a student you're not paying tax

2) The interest rate from ISA's at the moment are terrible and below inflation.

3) You will never get any money as students constantly need access to the money meaning no interest gained.
    Please pass on your information to Martin Lewis. I'm sure he'll be impressed by a pig ignorant kid!

ReputationRep:
    Well we get by quite comfortably, but how much is accommodation usually? Around £100 a week? My household income it probably around £110k, then if you take off 40% tax, plus mortgage, plus living expenses I don't think I can afford accommodation without a loan.
    Brilliant trolling or ****-head alert.
    What does everyone think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Brilliant trolling or ****-head alert.
    What does everyone think?
    I agree. I regret feeding the troll in my last post lol

ReputationRep:
    Please pass on your information to Martin Lewis. I'm sure he'll be impressed by a pig ignorant kid!
    There's nothing ignorant about what I said, it's just fact. Being an ******** about it won't change anything, and it doesn't matter who says it wether it's Martin Lewis or the queen, the facts are the facts.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing ignorant about what I said, it's just fact. Being an ******** about it won't change anything, and it doesn't matter who says it wether it's Martin Lewis or the queen, the facts are the facts.
    I'll try and make it easy for you but it will be hard as you seem to have little understanding of how it works.

Current student loan rate 1.5%
    Current M&S ISA 3% tax free
    Net gain 1.5%

The poster who asked the question didn't need the money so won't be dipping in to it.

Do you understand now?

ReputationRep:
    I'll try and make it easy for you but it will be hard as you seem to have little understanding.

Current student loan rate 1.5%
    Current M&S ISA 3% tax free
    Net gain 1.5%

Do you understand now?
    Current rate of inflation over 3%

Do YOU understand now?

ReputationRep:
    Current rate of inflation over 3%

Do YOU understand now?
    OK Einstein - how does that affect the OP?

They borrow money and pay it back in 12 months having made a profit you dim wit!

ReputationRep:
    OK Einstein - how does that affect the OP?

They borrow money and pay it back in 12 months having made a profit you dim wit!
    *Facepalm*

ReputationRep:
    I take it that is how you children admit stupidity these days is it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat as you! I live with my mom who earns <£24,000 a year meaning I get full maintenance grant of about 900 a term and a uni bursary of 500 a term! They don't take into account my Dad pays a lot of maintenance to my mum and he pays me 500 a month while I'm at uni xD
    I'm the first to admit our system needs a good shake up, but free money is free money!
    Oh but make sure you invest in something you can easily get money out of, I burn through money like there's no tomorrow at uni!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.