Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Biggest One Hit Wonder? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mare?)
    How can you call them a one hit wonder when duck sauce is only a year (or so) old! Besides, have you not heard this one then
    Because come on...it's pretty obvious it is a one hit wonder, colabs between artists usually are.

But then again...Armand van Helden and A-Trak are an awesome duo :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, I have a good feeling about them! Well, we'll see in a year whose right

Back on topic:

Pretty safe to call this one a one-hit wonder I think!

ReputationRep:
    ride on time by black box

hurts my effing ears

ReputationRep:
    Regarding Fountains of Wayne, before Stacy's Mom, they had at least 2 other singles, Radiation Vibe:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGYE2DD56Eg

and Sink to the bottom:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKNF1J6wbRk

Presumably they were fairly noticed as they made the title song on the Tom Hanks film That Thing You Do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzllVlzzeuo

ReputationRep:
    Hey this is a good one...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ5TajZYW6Y

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    Len- Steal my sunshine was a really good choice and there have been loads of other great choices, especially Ocarinaoftime's list (I love the Spin Doctors - it's true that they are one hit wonders in the UK but Pocketful of Kryptonite is a GREAT album).

A few more (the first 3 are off Levi's adverts):

Stiltskin - Inside
    Lilys- A Nanny in Manhattan
    Babylon Zoo- Spaceman
    White Town - Your Woman
    Procol Harum- A Whiter Shade of Pale
    The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - Fire
    B52s- Love shack (they did have some more singles like the great 'Roam' though).
    Transvision Vamp - Baby I don't care
    Martha and the muffins - Echo Beach
    Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel - Come up and see me (make me smile)
    Dead or alive - You spin me round
    The La's - There she goes (had a few singles from the same album but essentially one hit wonders)
    They only had one album, and had three massive hit singles, plus it was a seminal album. Not bad really. If they carried on they would be much bigger.

It wasn't that much of a hit but back in the day (Otis the Aardvark days) CBBC used to play this song in the summer :moon:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
      Four Non Blondes - What's going on?
      Lisa Loeb - Stay

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
      Regarding Fountains of Wayne, before Stacy's Mom, they had at least 2 other singles, Radiation Vibe:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGYE2DD56Eg

and Sink to the bottom:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKNF1J6wbRk

Presumably they were fairly noticed as they made the title song on the Tom Hanks film That Thing You Do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzllVlzzeuo
      Now I don't claim to be any Fountains of Wayne expert, merely an owner of all their albums. But they have actually had numerous singles however many failed to recapture the success Stacy's Mom had by a long way. Others failed to chart completely.

As for the song used in Tom Hank's film, it isn't actually by Fountains of Wayne. It was only written by Adam Schlesinger (Fountains of Wayne bassist) not by Fountains of Wayne themselves. It was used in the film because the producers advertised the fact they needed someone to write a song and Schlesinger won. In the end the track was performed by him and Mike Voila I believe but not Fountains of Wayne.

So back to the point, because they never really manage to produce another song as successful as Stacy's Mom, I'd consider them ne hit wonders. But I still love them.
      • Reporter Team
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      Chesney Hawkes I reckon. Just about everybody knows that song....and likes it. The mark of a true great one hit wonder.

ReputationRep:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXacZP7eP3U

Toploader, Dancing in the moonlight!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by LiamTheKook)
      Now I don't claim to be any Fountains of Wayne expert, merely an owner of all their albums. But they have actually had numerous singles however many failed to recapture the success Stacy's Mom had by a long way. Others failed to chart completely.

As for the song used in Tom Hank's film, it isn't actually by Fountains of Wayne. It was only written by Adam Schlesinger (Fountains of Wayne bassist) not by Fountains of Wayne themselves. It was used in the film because the producers advertised the fact they needed someone to write a song and Schlesinger won. In the end the track was performed by him and Mike Voila I believe but not Fountains of Wayne.

So back to the point, because they never really manage to produce another song as successful as Stacy's Mom, I'd consider them ne hit wonders. But I still love them.
      Eloquently put. I particularly like the bit about 'merely an owner of all of their albums'. It comes across as a great put down- relative to to me anyway since I actually only own one of their albums which I have lost! So I bow to your knowledge.

Thinking about it, I would regard Weezer (who seem like precursors to Fountains of Wayne) as a one hit wonder band because I think that they're only massively famous for Buddy Holly yet they have probably have had other successful singles.

ReputationRep:
      Rick astley - never gonna give you up! :e

ReputationRep:
      Audley Harrison.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TotalLifeForever)
      They only had one album, and had three massive hit singles, plus it was a seminal album. Not bad really. If they carried on they would be much bigger.
      Way Out got to number 86, Timeless Melody got to number 57 and Only Feelin got to number 43 in the UK chart. It doesn't sound like massive hits to me. There she goes go to number 13.

I admire The La's production and what it represents as an artistsic statement but ultimately I doubt that they had much more to say or knew how to say it in the perfectionist style that Lee Mavers wanted to. The Lightning Seeds took their place really.

ReputationRep:
      Katie Price - Free to love again!

Oh wait, it's meant to be one hit isn't it...

ReputationRep:
      One hit wonder.

ReputationRep:
      Thinking about it, I would regard Weezer (who seem like precursors to Fountains of Wayne) as a one hit wonder band because I think that they're only massively famous for Buddy Holly yet they have probably have had other successful singles.
      Think most teens know them primarily from that youtube song

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.