Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advert at top of page for Welsh Uni....looks like an obesity awareness poster. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Guys, come on, they've had to gather together their whole student body for this photo so it's unfair to comment on their appearance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Are you sure about that?

What there is a university where they have a significantly high proportion of their courses in Clearing each year?

Of course they have to advertise. :rolleyes:
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure about that - there are very few involuntary things in life. These universities don't have to advertise, but someone, perhaps even a whole panel, have decided it is in their best interests to do so.

Just like they have done at Aberdeen. Do you really think they would waste money on advertising if they didn't think they have more to gain by doing it than not?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think with these new tuition fees that there's going to be more competition between universities, and thus an increase in advertising from unis?

(Original post by Barden)
      Coca-Cola still advertise their drinks, yet they don't have to...

Most unis do advertise, when you eventually apply for uni, ISA, (this will be a few years after puberty), you'll find leaflets from most unis which do your course (or similar) flying through your letterbox as soon as you apply for your UCAS card.
      Not you again. :rolleyes:

Oh please, you cannot compare Coca-Cola with some Welsh no-name university. :rolleyes:

Of course universities advertise! I've seen Oxbridge positions within New Scientists, that doesn't make it ****, does it?

But if certain universities don't advertise, they won't get their students to fill in their seats. Let's be honest, you don't see the likes of Bristol, Durham, Imperial etc advertising on here do you?

(Original post by TheSownRose)
        Yeah, I'm pretty sure about that - there are very few involuntary things in life. These universities don't have to advertise, but someone, perhaps even a whole panel, have decided it is in their best interests to do so.

Just like they have done at Aberdeen. Do you really think they would waste money on advertising if they didn't think they have more to gain by doing it than not?
        All I have to say is this: no amount of advertising from any university does not make its reputation/teaching quality/student satisfaction etc better.

ReputationRep:
        The fancier the adverts, the crapper the university? Abertay, for example, have mental TV adverts where they make it look like the best uni on the planet, but then it says at the end that it's Abertay they're on about and you just laugh because it's not really up there with Oxbridge and doesn't look anything like a space station...

ReputationRep:
        All I have to say is this: no amount of advertising from any university does not make its reputation/teaching quality/student satisfaction etc better.
        Doesn't not no make grammatical sense what?

ReputationRep:

Oh please, you cannot compare Coca-Cola with some Welsh no-name university. :rolleyes:

Of course universities advertise! I've seen Oxbridge positions within New Scientists, that doesn't make it ****, does it?

But if certain universities don't advertise, they won't get their students to fill in their seats. Let's be honest, you don't see the likes of Bristol, Durham, Imperial etc advertising on here do you?
        Actually, according to you, it does because any uni that has to advertise isn't worth going to.

ReputationRep:
        It's a shame all you have to say makes no grammatical sense.

ReputationRep:
        Jinx!

Well you claimed that Maoism and Marxism are one and the same the other day, because they are both doctrines of communism...

Why can't I say that the selling of university places and of soft-drinks are one and the same? They are both epithets of capitalism afterall...

I believe TheSownRose has this one covered...

This may be true for the very top unis, or at least the top courses at the top unis... but popularity does not necessarily equate to popularity.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Danielle89)
        The fancier the adverts, the crapper the university? Abertay, for example, have mental TV adverts where they make it look like the best uni on the planet, but then it says at the end that it's Abertay they're on about and you just laugh because it's not really up there with Oxbridge and doesn't look anything like a space station...
        Yet if you want to work in the games industry, then Abertay is fantastic.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
        I think it's fair to say they're not the BSc Health & Exercise students. :lol:
        there is a degree in health and excersise :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by infernalcradle)
        there is a degree in health and excersise :lolwut:
        http://www.trinitysaintdavid.ac.uk/e...ealthexercise/

Actually, according to you, it does because any uni that has to advertise isn't worth going to.
          Note the word "has to".

Jesus Christ.

ReputationRep:
          Note the word "has to".

Jesus Christ.
          Again, I point out that no university has to advertise but do so because they consider it to be a worthwhile use of money.

Again, I point out that no university has to advertise but do so because they consider it to be a worthwhile use of money.
            Or because they are failing to recruit students, so in order to increase awareness of the university, they have to advertise.

After all, no university advertises for no good reason, do they?

ReputationRep:
            Or because they are failing to recruit students, so in order to increase awareness of the university, they have to advertise.

No, they don't. But the vast majority of unis do advertise, because a uni, rightly or wrongly, is a business and want to get your business as much as eonenergyfit.com people (to name just one advert I can currently see) do.

ReputationRep:

You seem to advocate the free market but then you spout stuff like this. I am fully aware that universities are state owned but they are still competing, domestically and internationally. How do you think top universities keep pulling in some of the best candidates from around the globe? Their marketing techniques are flawless.

Business/organisations need to spend money on marketing in order to stay at the top.

ReputationRep:
            I didn't even notice! LOL

Poor Nick, we can't even see that he is actually slim. [s]mmm[s/]

(Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
              You seem to advocate the free market but then you spout stuff like this. I am fully aware that universities are state owned but they are still competing, domestically and internationally. How do you think top universities keep pulling in some of the best candidates from around the globe? Their marketing techniques are flawless.

Business/organisations need to spend money on marketing in order to stay at the top.
              NO amount of advertising can make a "product", in this case a university degree, good. It's about the actual quality of education, reputation etc etc. As if universities are competing on the free market! :rofl: If universities were all privatised, I can guarantee you some of them would not be able to keep up with the competition and close down.

Of course advertising helps, but at the end of the day, quality does matter.

For example the iPod - God knows the amount of advertising that is spent. But at the end of the day, it dominates 1/3 of the MP3 market. Do you think that came through advertising alone?

At the end of the day, advertising only generates awareness and it is up to the consumer to purchase/receive the education.

Submit reply
            TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2010
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            What newspaper do you read/prefer?
            Useful resources
            AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.