White, middle-class rock buffs... Here's some hip-hop you'll enjoy... Watch

HumanNature1992
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You'd have to have an understanding on hip hop and it's journey to even remotely enjoy that song. You could've played something more universal like Reasonable Doubt Jay-Z or Illmatic Nas...
iamnotasealion
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Should have busted out a bit o' Tread Water. They would've gone mad for that ****.
LabyrinthWonder
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by spazman21)
Ermm.... The underlying point of this thread (if you had read the previous posts) is that people should be more open-minded about music. I just wanted to expose to people that hip-hip and rap shouldn't be catergorised as mindless banality or musically incompetent.

As for the thread title, I directed it at these people because I felt that these people tend to be most snobbish and allow genre to dictate what they listen to, when other aspects, such as lyricism, melody, composition arrangement, originality, creativity etc. are what's most important.
OP: I wasn't directing it to you personally. I meant throughout the thread, when other people commented saying: "This is crap" etc.
spazman21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
and then when I actually listened to school of seven bells a shoegaze band with electronic elements I realized it can actually be really good and have a got into a fair amount of bands. Sort of since then really I have tried to be more open minded.
Listen to the band Ride, if you like shoegaze; the drummer used to be my drum teacher!
Pheylan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ride
Dreams Burn Down :sogood:
spazman21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pheylan)
Dreams Burn Down :sogood:
Yeah, the album that "Dreams Burn Down" is on is probably their best work...

I think my drum teacher laid down a really nice beat on that track.
JK471993
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'll stick with Beach Fossils and Radiohead for the moment but thanks for the offer!
spazman21
Rep:
?
(Original post by JK471993)
I'll stick with Beach Fossils and Radiohead for the moment but thanks for the offer!
Who are Beach Fossils? I've never heard of them!

I've been listening to King of Limbs all day today...
654321A
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LabyrinthWonder)
Oh dear me, are we not free anymore from a world that continues to judge and dictate other peoples taste in music?!?

I can't stand it when people try to justify their taste/passion for a certain type of music they love. Its more than just rhythms and a beat, its also how you connect with it.

OP: Personally, its not my cup of tea at all. And calling the thread: "White, middle-class rock buffs..." ---REALLY???
Exactly, people forcing people to like their music genre just because they like it so everyone else should pisses me off. Even if it is a superior musical genre like how classical is better music than pop, doesn't mean everyone should like classical instead of pop. Each to their own.
JK471993
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Who are Beach Fossils? I've never heard of them!

I've been listening to King of Limbs all day today...
They are an indie band from the States that are quite atmospheric. I think it's the jangle they create which gets me. Youtube/Spotify them.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
DE LA SOUL: Could there be anything more refreshing than differentiating oneself from the mindless gangster rap about drugs, money and "respect."

Take a listen...

This sums up what De La Soul are about... listen to the lyrics....

Not bad, though I prefer the originals:

Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Also, I'd probably have capitalised on hip-hop's inherent diversity by volunteering some less traditional examples of the genre:

Because once you realise that to dismiss hip-hop is implicitly to dismiss funk, soul, disco, rock, folk, industrial, jazz, blues and electro, it becomes rather more difficult not to re-consider.
aja89
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why is OP acting like no white middle-class people have ever heard of De La Soul before?
spazman21
Rep:
?
(Original post by aja89)
Why is OP acting like no white middle-class people have ever heard of De La Soul before?
Just a generalisation to attract views to my thread. Also, most haven't heard of De La Soul.

On other note, I really hope your username is named after Steely Dan's album Aja!
Is it?
aja89
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
On other note, I really hope your username is named after Steely Dan's album Aja!
Is it?
No AJA are my initials, but it is an excellent album!
Malism
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Thread reminded me of this.
HilariousNinja
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Love De La Soul. Eye Know probably my favourite, closely followed by Tread Water and Respect.
Jmzie-Coupe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good stuff.
Pheylan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
De La Soul are fantastic, you knobs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (234)
39.39%
No - but I will (40)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (43)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (277)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise