i actually HATE sex Watch

Arenas123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
x
Your picture wasn't directed at the OP ? What was it doing in his thread then ? It was insensitive at best

You can not establish cause and effect, what I am saying is right regardless of Paula's work. You can not say that people are this way because they are asexual without knowing that being asexual doesn't cause it. How do you know that people being asexual doesn't make them this way ? You are saying that being that way makes them asexual. Nobody can prove that people are asexual because of depression/anxiety because it could be as a result asexuality that they feel that way. A lot of homosexuals are known to experience feelings of self-loathing etc.

I've worked with a lot of depressed people with social anxiety etc. Yet the only case of asexuality I've ever encountered was absolutely fine until she decided to have sex anyway due to social pressures and then she started having issues.

You're saying there is no evidence of something not happening. Asexuality is not wanting to have sex, leading in all likelihood to sex being rare or absent. Yet your argument is based on "we can not see it in the animal kingdom". Asexuality is a lack of interest in sex which does not have to lead to abstinence, therefore unless you can speak to animals you do not know how they feel about sex. Some animals do mate very rarely.

I did not insult you personally. You called me an idiot ? You think you're smarter than I am in some way ? You're not the only person that reads journals like this you know. My comments were not uninformed, I read about studies as well. When I said my knowledge, I obviously get that from reading. By calling me an idiot you were basically saying my opinion was wrong, you did not need to insult me. Decent people can say disgusting things. I simply said what you said was disgusting, didn't say anything about you. Maybe you should acknowledge how much some things affect people. Maybe someone who had asexual tendencies saw the thread title and empathised so came to read it. What do they see ? A picture about being forever alone (which you have to acknowledge may be something they worry about a lot)

I have a personal interest in this and maybe I overreacted but when I asked the person I'm talking about why she had sex after not wanting to do it "I don't want to be alone" was one of her first answers. Either way your picture didn't help anyone regardless of who it was directed at.
Kilabu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Anyone that hates sex is doing it wrong.
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 654321A)
I swear you used to be a guy Addzter?
Ever heard of sex change operations, pal? :pierre:
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Arenas123)
Your picture wasn't directed at the OP ? What was it doing in his thread then ? It was insensitive at best
Not my problem. I already said at least twice it wasn't directed at the OP in my initial response to you.

You can not establish cause and effect, what I am saying is right regardless of Paula's work. You can not say that people are this way because they are asexual without knowing that being asexual doesn't cause it.
Who is saying this? In any case, asexuality may be the cause of an abusive childhood/mental health problem, or it could be the other way around, i.e. because a person is asexual hence the problems.

If that's what you're trying to say too, then we agree here. But no biological link has been found, of course you can argue the same for homosexuality, but as I pointed out earlier (with a real example of a species), homosexuality occurs in the animal kingdom and asexuality does not (at least no documented evidence so far) and for good reason, it is a beneficial trait, otherwise it wouldn't be occurring. Perhaps there are certain species who are asexual, but if so, we have not discovered them yet, and even if we did - it doesn't change the fact that sexual selection is favoured far more over asexuality, in evolutionary biology - in the animal kingdom, simply because there are so many more benefits to combing DNA from a male with DNA from a female for reproduction.

How do you know that people being asexual doesn't make them this way ? You are saying that being that way makes them asexual.
No, it may be either way. If it sounded like I was being one-sided, I never meant to be, you asked for sources, I cited them and explained - that is all.

Nobody can prove that people are asexual because of depression/anxiety because it could be as a result asexuality that they feel that way. A lot of homosexuals are known to experience feelings of self-loathing etc.
No such thing as proof outside of closed systems such as maths. All we ever have is evidence, research and studies to go on. I already said there is very little on asexuality. There could a multitude of reasons, I don't know, we're still researching. Neither of us know much yet. I go on what we have and lack of, so basically everything I said earlier, lack of asexuality in animals, whereas sexuality is far more occurring, a few studies indicating psychological factors etc.

Note: This doesn't mean you're wrong in this respect, and I didn't intend to imply that. Of course, mental health problems could arise due to being asexual in the first place and social pressures etc.

I've worked with a lot of depressed people with social anxiety etc.
Likewise. But probably for different reasons than you.

Yet the only case of asexuality I've ever encountered was absolutely fine until she decided to have sex anyway due to social pressures and then she started having issues.
I know seven asexuals. Does this mean I win?

You're saying there is no evidence of something not happening.
Where did I say this? That sounds odd.

Asexuality is not wanting to have sex,
That's one property of asexuality, but there's different levels of asexuality, and often nearing other orientations or misanthropy.

leading in all likelihood to sex being rare or absent. Yet your argument is based on "we can not see it in the animal kingdom".
My argument isn't based on this, read the response in context. You were justifying asexuality based on other orientations with lack of biological link, see here:

(Original post by Arenas123)
No biological evidence has been given regarding homosexuality or bisexuality either so what's your point ?
Hence, whilst there is no genetic link, I felt the need to point out that homosexuality has been occurring in the animal kingdom for millions of years and continues to do so. There is no documented evidence for asexuality in the animal kingdom that can be compared to homosexuality. I also said that this does not mean that it does happen in animals at all, it might, but we haven't found such species yet.

Asexuality is a lack of interest in sex
You say it's not wanting sex, then you say it's a lack of interest in sex? Which is it?

To me, I know that there are varying degrees of asexuality, some asexuals feel different about sex to others.

which does not have to lead to abstinence, therefore unless you can speak to animals you do not know how they feel about sex.
Irrelevant, if we wanted, we are able to find out what emotions animals feel just as we can find out how humans feels, we have the professional fields and technology for this - and I'm pretty sure, if I did a search, I would find some examples of this. Regardless, this isn't about feelings, we already have evidence that homosexuality and bisexuality occurs in some species, furthermore we also know why it happens.

Some animals do mate very rarely.
This, I don't understand. Most animals mate, whether by rape, incest, paedophilia or consenting (all of these occur too, along with cannibalism, just thought you'd be interested in knowing) - just not asexually, or at least, we have not discovered a species that can.

I did not insult you personally. You called me an idiot ?
I did not insult you personally, it wasn't personal. You insulted me too along with a false assumption without actually reading who the post was at and in what context - it's not my fault if people can't read and comprehend.

You think you're smarter than I am in some way ?
I never said that, calm down. :confused:

You're not the only person that reads journals like this you know.
I know, or I hope so, it would be pretty terrifying otherwise.

My comments were not uninformed, I read about studies as well. When I said my knowledge, I obviously get that from reading.
Then cite your sources next time, instead of demanding that I cite mine and giving off the vibe that you're a know-it-all who doesn't need references because you already know everything.

I happily admit when I'm wrong, it enables me to learn more. I could be wrong about all of this, I'm just going on what little data and knowledge we have thus far, mixed with my own little knowledge and experience. I have a long way to go.

By calling me an idiot you were basically saying my opinion was wrong, you did not need to insult me.
You did not need to make false assumptions about me and you did not need to insult me either. See, it works both ways. I'm sorry you only see it one way. By calling you an idiot, I did not mean to imply your opinion was wrong, you could have expanded a bit more, but you didn't, hence my post. I'm hoping we're both learning something we did not previously know.

Decent people can say disgusting things. I simply said what you said was disgusting, didn't say anything about you.
It was still insulting, so, likewise of course.

Maybe you should acknowledge how much some things affect people.
Already have, do, and don't care. You're the only one who seems to be taking offence in this thread.

Maybe someone who had asexual tendencies saw the thread title and empathised so came to read it.
Cry me a river? What do you want me to say? That I'm sorry? I honestly don't care, they can choose to ignore the comment, accept it as an indirect joke or take it to heart and kill themselves, whatever.

What do they see ? A picture about being forever alone (which you have to acknowledge may be something they worry about a lot)
It's the forever alone guy, a popular internet meme. It wasn't directed at the OP. Do a Google Image search of 'forever alone' you'll see what I mean.

I have a personal interest in this and maybe I overreacted but when I asked the person I'm talking about why she had sex after not wanting to do it "I don't want to be alone" was one of her first answers. Either way your picture didn't help anyone regardless of who it was directed at.
If you say so. It's brought a smile on at least 6 people based on the thumbs up.

Relax and lighten up.
654321A
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Addzter)
Ever heard of sex change operations, pal? :pierre:
For real you got a sex change?? Cos I swear to god last time I was on TSR (as a certain semi-famous somebody) you were a guy and your avatar was clint eastwood.
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For real you got a sex change?? Cos I swear to god last time I was on TSR (as a certain semi-famous somebody) you were a guy and your avatar was clint eastwood.
Yeah man! I got the old meat and two veg lopped off, and in their place I bought myself a nice pair of tits.
tillytots
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
weiiirdoooo
654321A
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Addzter)
Yeah man! I got the old meat and two veg lopped off, and in their place I bought myself a nice pair of tits.
Wow good for you. What's sex as a woman like? (no homo)
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wow good for you. What's sex as a woman like? (no homo)
Flippin' brill!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (285)
37.75%
No - but I will (53)
7.02%
No - I don't want to (55)
7.28%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (362)
47.95%

Watched Threads