Why do so many people have Ipods? Watch

tjmitchell
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by yahyahyahs)
I think you'll find that we are comparing music players (iPods) not phones, yah?
there are android music players (in fact, probably more android players than there are iPods capable of playing angry birds) and if your one reason for buying an iPod is to be able to play angry birds, why would you need to if you already could on your phone?
yahyahyahs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tjmitchell)
there are android music players (in fact, probably more android players than there are iPods capable of playing angry birds) and if your one reason for buying an iPod is to be able to play angry birds, why would you need to if you already could on your phone?
It was a joke. Because I would so totally spend £180 to play a 59p game. And you can argue as much as you can for Androids - truth is, their market share, in comparison to Apple, is miniscule.
Jesse_Mac
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I wanted to hate the iPods, but they're better looking, smaller (physically), bigger (hard-drive), longer-lasting, more reliable and easier to use than anything else I could find, and they were the cheapest at the time too. There was literally no reason to not go with it, and I'm not even thinking about society.
tjmitchell
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It was a joke. Because I would so totally spend £180 to play a 59p game. And you can argue as much as you can for Androids - truth is, their market share, in comparison to Apple, is miniscule.
you may have meant it as a joke, but a large percentage of the people that have bought an iPod touch, bought it because of the app store, when they're not the only people with a decent app store. As for the market share, what is that proving? if we compare just apple phones/media players to the equivalent android devices, android sales are increasing at a hugely faster rate, and I would not be surprised if they have already overtaken. But what do sales prove? That's the whole point of this thread, people have bought into it, and apple is a huge success, but why? what's so special about them?
Jesse_Mac
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
And you can argue as much as you can for Androids - truth is, their market share, in comparison to Apple, is miniscule.
It's double Apple's, unless you're talking about the marketplace
http://www.fudzilla.com/mobiles/item...es-to-increase
But given you just said 'Android', I'd imagine you meant the operating system
Dreizhen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I hate Apple with a passion, but even I have to admit that the click wheel kicks ass.
BeritV
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
simply because it's cool
Jenzo117
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
its badass
tjmitchell
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
He's talking about the MP3 player market, of which Apple occupy a total of 75% (As of Q4 2010). SansDisk have 8%, Microsoft have 1%, with the remainder classified as "other".
got a source for that? I find it hard to believe Sony would fall into that 'other' category
Accalia
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've become accustomed to iPods and iTunes. Never had any major issues (that weren't at least partly my fault). I went for a different MP3 player this year but had problems with it from the start, so returned back to the iPod and haven't had any issues.

Basically, I know what I'm getting with Apple. I know how to sort out problems with iPods, or what to do if I can't sort it out.
01010000 01001010
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I know why. It's because Apple's marketing is successful, people give in to the urges that are manufactured or massaged by Apple's marketing. Non-techy people will buy Apple products because it's a huge consumer name they feel that they can trust, techy people will buy Apple products because they are too narrow-minded to see past the labels and look at the actual value of product X.

Ipods are terrible compared to any other generic MP3/4 player, but people feel safe because of the Apple logo. The same can be said about Apple Macs, but the people who buy them know NOTHING about computers, take a look at the spec of a £800 Apple Macbook FOR MAJOR LULZ. Too many consumerist sheep who listen to Apple with open ears and believe all their propaganda **** instead of thinking for themselves, Apple effectively owns the audience known as dumb-****s-who-buy-products-for-their-logos.
ExcessNeo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by my_username_was_taken)
Don't most people download illegally? I don't know anyone who does it legally lol..

Docking stations are another way the general population have been manipulated by big brands! All you need is a £1.00 cable and you can connect an MP3 to most speakers.. But yet they rip you off and charge you £50.00 for something that does the same thing, and often far worse quality than speakers you have at home! Scandalous!
Some people like to support bands, while yes a large percentage of the population illegally downloads music, I'd be willing to guess that itunes has the biggest market share in terms of mp3 sales correct me if I'm wrong.

As for docking stations and "speakers you have at home", newsflash for you. Not everyone has a decent set of speakers, and some sets of speakers don't have an 3.5mm input meaning you need to buy an adaptor.

I've had a couple of iPods, my iPod colour lasted a good while when it kicked the bucket I replaced it with a 32GB first generation iPod touch. I don't really care whether everyone has one, I like iPods for the simple fact is very little on the market is comparable in terms of durability and software.
tjmitchell
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 01010000 01001010)
I know why. It's because Apple's marketing is successful, people give in to the urges that are manufactured or massaged by Apple's marketing. Non-techy people will buy Apple products because it's a huge consumer name they feel that they can trust, techy people will buy Apple products because they are too narrow-minded to see past the labels and look at the actual value of product X.

Ipods are terrible compared to any other generic MP3/4 player, but people feel safe because of the Apple logo. The same can be said about Apple Macs, but the people who buy them know NOTHING about computers, take a look at the spec of a £800 Apple Macbook FOR MAJOR LULZ. Too many consumerist sheep who listen to Apple with open ears and believe all their propaganda **** instead of thinking for themselves, Apple effectively owns the audience known as dumb-****s-who-buy-products-for-their-logos.
Bingo, we have a winner.
But why would techy people be to narrow minded? Most self confessed techy people are massive geeks, and thus wouldn't care too much about the logo and would be much more interested in what's under the hood.
ktlaurenroe
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My sister gave me her old one.
I probably would've bought my own eventually but I'm not the most fiscally responsible person around so I struggle to save like, a tenner. Let alone enough for an iPod.
yahyahyahs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jesse_Mac)
It's double Apple's, unless you're talking about the marketplace
http://www.fudzilla.com/mobiles/item...es-to-increase
But given you just said 'Android', I'd imagine you meant the operating system
I was talking like overall - phones, mp3 players, the lot - if you get me (I'm no economist ).

And I mean that - it's just easier to write Andriod and Apple, rather than Android and iOS whatever one we're on now.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tjmitchell)
got a source for that? I find it hard to believe Sony would fall into that 'other' category

Apologies, the source I was looking at was from the wrong year. I hereby retract my post =P
Manitude
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I got mine because both myself and my brother had previously got (different!) mp3 players which just didn't work well, were hard to use and didn't have much space. He got an ipod which was absolutely fine, I got one a few years later and still have no complaints - it just works!

Will probably get a touch in a couple of years.
Imperial Blitz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Because there cool
Indefinite 000
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
it is a waste of money
The-Real-One
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by my_username_was_taken)
I can't seem to find a reason apart from excellent marketing and therefore influence/persuasion to the consumer or maybe conformity or some mistaken belief they are somehow better and not just a rip off? Why else?

Thanks for any information.
Because they are sheep with more money than sense. Otherwise they'd buy a Cowon or iRiver.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.66%
No - but I will (35)
6.58%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (250)
46.99%

Watched Threads