What is your favorite and least favorite Jane Austen novel? Watch

Pink_butterfly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I love Mansfield Park, it was the first Austen book I ever read and its always been a favourite of mine. I must admit I was rooting for Mr Crawford though lol.

Persuasion is another favourite - and Rupert Penry-Jones playing Captain Wentworth *swoooon*

Emma is probably my least favourite.
using_the_force
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Definitely Persuasion and least favourite - I think i'd have to say Northanger Abbey along with Emma (everytime I start reading it I get so annoyed with her! She's so...annoying!)
emzaz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I love Emma! It's a brilliant book! My favourite by far! I can sympathise with her a lot in some ways.
I'm not a fan of Pride and Prejudice but it's not too bad - Sense and Sensibility I gave up on half way through!
forgottensecret
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have only read Persuasion and loved it! I went to the library to find another, but they were no help whatsoever, so now I need to wait to get my next fix of heroine :love:
oh-bang
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Favs- p&p, nothanger abbey
least fav- mansfield park. Fanny price.. eurrgh
Trixy.Sam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Favourite: Persuasion
Least: Emma (very dull sorry guys)
rufus_da_bear
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
iv only read sense and sensibility, pride and prejudice, northanger abbey and emma. Emma was my least favourite because its really boring and emma is really up herself. I dont know why people hated northanger abbey so much though i thought it was good fun... havnt decided on my favourite yet, guess i should read the rest
AuspiciousNerd
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Persuasion is by far and away the best novel written my Austen, the number of characters you want to strangle is far fewer than any other story she wrote. The few film adaptions have lived up to the novel as well - which is very unusual! Especially the BBC one a few years ago!
It was definitely persuasion which introduced me to the world of good old english literature!
Dijobla
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My favourites: Emma, Persuasion in joint 1st and P&P in 2nd.
Always preferred Knightley <3 and Wentworth over Darcy! And same for the heroines, Emma and Anne >> Elizabeth.

Least favourite: Northanger Abbey. I was just like mehhh.

Mansfield Park was decent, I like it, but Fanny is such a wet tissue. I still haven't finished S&S... got the book lurking around. Keep starting and stopping (over the course of forever lol). One of these days.
Dijobla
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by emzaz)
I love Emma! It's a brilliant book! My favourite by far! I can sympathise with her a lot in some ways.
I'm not a fan of Pride and Prejudice but it's not too bad - Sense and Sensibility I gave up on half way through!
I basically just posted the exact same thing! I keep giving up on S&S, I don't know why. And I love Emma! She develops so much during the book, even though she starts off pretty spoilt. Johnny Lee Miller as Knightley = drool.
roseroserose.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Pride and Prejudice rules over everything, Elizabeth is such a strong heroine.
I really like Mansfield Park, for completely different reasons though. It just seems like Fanny had such a sucky life (in those precise words ), got on with it and was rewarded right at the end. I don't understand why so many people have hate for it ?! Emma was good, although I couldn't really relate it, it was nice to see her grow up and correct herself.
Sense and Sensibility was meh, and I really didn't enjoy Persuasion bizarrely, I just never really warmed to the characters :/ I haven't tried Northanger Abbey.
RunningHam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by whatsername2009)
I love Jane Austen. My favourite of her novels is Persuasion (although I also love Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, so it's a tough call) because it's the most mature of Austen's works, and because Captain Wentworth's letter to Anne is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read.
I am in love with Wentworth. Seriously. Anyone who can write a letter like that can have me. *swoon*

Mine go like this: (Although I haven't read them all. The rest are filled in with TV adaptations.)

Persuasion,
Pride & Prejudice,
Sense and Sensibility,
Emma,
Northanger Abbey,
Mansfield Park.
emzaz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dijobla)
I basically just posted the exact same thing! I keep giving up on S&S, I don't know why. And I love Emma! She develops so much during the book, even though she starts off pretty spoilt. Johnny Lee Miller as Knightley = drool.
Johnny Lee Miller? Never heard of them! Was he in the series the bbc did? I meant to watch it but never got round to it.

Glad to find a fellow fan of Emma though! It's strange but people in this thread either really like her or can't stand her.

I agree - she's soo spoilt at the start but you can tell her heart's in the right place ^_^ That jane person sounds so annoying though hahah! What other books do you like?
Dijobla
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by emzaz)
Johnny Lee Miller? Never heard of them! Was he in the series the bbc did? I meant to watch it but never got round to it.

Glad to find a fellow fan of Emma though! It's strange but people in this thread either really like her or can't stand her.

I agree - she's soo spoilt at the start but you can tell her heart's in the right place ^_^ That jane person sounds so annoying though hahah! What other books do you like?
Yeah, the BBC adaptation from a year or so- well worth a watch if you have the time.

I'm a complete book fiend, consume at least 1-2 a week so I can't easily say what I like! How about you?

(Original post by whatsername2009)
I love Jane Austen. My favourite of her novels is Persuasion (although I also love Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, so it's a tough call) because it's the most mature of Austen's works, and because Captain Wentworth's letter to Anne is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read.
Ah so true! Persuasion was the first Austen I read, it was so, so beautiful. Like I said, my joint fave with Emma- two very different novels, almost complete opposites, but IMO, the two most developed in terms of character.
holbets
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Emma > Persuasion > Sense and Sensibility > Pride and Prejudice > Mansfield Park

I haven't read Northanger Abbey though
Zebrastripes
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My favourite is definitely Northanger Abbey, I've read it a few times now.

Pride and Prejudice is my least favourite, but maybe I should give it another go.
Elissabeth
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My favourite: Northanger Abbey

Least Favourite: Pride and Prejudice (oddly enough)
JustLau
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Persuasion > Pride & Prejudice > Emma > Sense & Sensibility > Mansfield Park > Northanger Abbey

Marianne is the most annoying 'heroine' though. I don't get Colonel Brandon liking her one bit!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise