University of Leeds Accomodation 2011 Watch

This discussion is closed.
supernova92
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
#41
Report 8 years ago
#41
(Original post by jelly1000)
They took us to one of the on campus halls (Ellerlsie I believe) but other than that no.
Oh ok, thanks
0
emilymay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#42
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
#42
(Original post by jenk123)
I'm doing sports science, what about you?
mmm devonshire looks nice, but apparently oversubscribed? have you visited any of the accommodation? i went round on the open day but completely forgot where i looked!
debating going to the viewing day, i live so far away though so might be a little pointless!
I'm doing medicine Yeah it does but I've just been comparing it to some of the others and it is quite expensive thats the one thing putting me off I live an hour and a half away so it's not so bad for me, and I think I'd rather have a good look before I choose just coz I'm a bit wary of choosing one then visiting and finding out it's horrible! I'm not so worried about the oversubscribed because I'm on a gap year, and because I already have my grades my offer is unconditional. Apparently unconditional people get allocated accomodation on the 1st August and everyone else on or after results day. So I don't think oversubscribed should affect me.
0
Mojamma
Badges: 0
#43
Report 8 years ago
#43
(Original post by supernova92)
Does anyone know if you go to a post-offer open day, whether you can look at accommodation then as well?
26th marxh. Starts at 10 x
0
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#44
Report 8 years ago
#44
(Original post by emilymay)
I'm doing medicine Yeah it does but I've just been comparing it to some of the others and it is quite expensive thats the one thing putting me off I live an hour and a half away so it's not so bad for me, and I think I'd rather have a good look before I choose just coz I'm a bit wary of choosing one then visiting and finding out it's horrible! I'm not so worried about the oversubscribed because I'm on a gap year, and because I already have my grades my offer is unconditional. Apparently unconditional people get allocated accomodation on the 1st August and everyone else on or after results day. So I don't think oversubscribed should affect me.
It might do. There was a girl on here last year who had an unconditional and got put in Boddington when she put Devonshire down as her top choice. Allocation isn't first come first served remember.
0
Lovin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
#45
Report 8 years ago
#45
(Original post by jelly1000)
It might do. There was a girl on here last year who had an unconditional and got put in Boddington when she put Devonshire down as her top choice. Allocation isn't first come first served remember.
Do you know how they allocate you? I thought it was first come first serve. So do you know how the allocation process works?
0
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#46
Report 8 years ago
#46
(Original post by Lovin)
Do you know how they allocate you? I thought it was first come first serve. So do you know how the allocation process works?
Last year there was someone from the accomodation office at Leeds floating around, they might come back nearer the deadline, I'm not sure. As far as the process works, they look are your preferences a lot. The person who put down Devonshire last year must have put catered as a high priority, with distance from the uni a low one. So I get the idea if you put that and your hall is oversubscribed, they could put you in Boddington.
0
rachelullsy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#47
Report 8 years ago
#47
They don't operate on a first come, first served basis ! which is pretty good if you think about it! Cos it gives you plenty of time to look round all the different accoms. and weigh up the good and bad choices etc without being pressured into making a decision

They try to house everyone where they wanna go but obvs that's not totally possible, so you do a mini questionnairre thing when you apply saying what's most important to you when applying e.g. being on campus, being catered, being near clubs etc. So if they can;t get you in where you wanna go you have a suitable back up

Anyone else considering henry price? :rolleyes:
0
supernova92
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
#48
Report 8 years ago
#48
(Original post by Mojamma)
26th marxh. Starts at 10 x
Yeah i know, but my post offer open day is on the 22nd. And it's expensive/a long way to go a second time just to view accomodation. But thanks
0
accomoffice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
#49
Report 8 years ago
#49
(Original post by jelly1000)
Last year there was someone from the accomodation office at Leeds floating around.
And there still is.

I'll usually only chip in if nobody else can answer a question or if someone says something that isn't right.

But you're absolutely correct about allocations. It's not first come first served; when we allocate the unconditional students, we set aside a proportion of all the accommodation (so if 25% of people are unconditional, we allocate 25% of the places at Dev, 25% at Bodington etc etc, leaving the remaining 75% for the 75% of people who are waiting for results). So everyone should have the same chance - if you don't get the place you want, it will usually be because too many other people want it as well.

Feel free to ask questions, anyone.
0
accomoffice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
#50
Report 8 years ago
#50
(Original post by supernova92)
Yeah i know, but my post offer open day is on the 22nd. And it's expensive/a long way to go a second time just to view accomodation. But thanks
A lot of departments organise for applicants to see one of the on-campus halls, usually either Henry Price or Storm Jameson Court at Charles Morris Hall. Depends what department you're with tho'.
0
supernova92
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
#51
Report 8 years ago
#51
(Original post by accomoffice)
A lot of departments organise for applicants to see one of the on-campus halls, usually either Henry Price or Storm Jameson Court at Charles Morris Hall. Depends what department you're with tho'.
Ooooh thanks It'll be the maths department for me, just booked my open day, and it says that there'll be a talk, but i'm guessing no chance to look?
0
horseferrygirl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#52
Report 8 years ago
#52
i'm liking the clarence dock accomodation but it's only 43 weeks contract so what would i do for the other nine weeks apart from xmas. also the sky plaza from unite looks AMAAAAZZZIIIN but i dont get how its nearly sold out.. btw still waitin for an offer from leeds for communication *fingers crossed xox
0
jenk123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#53
Report 8 years ago
#53
(Original post by emilymay)
I'm doing medicine Yeah it does but I've just been comparing it to some of the others and it is quite expensive thats the one thing putting me off I live an hour and a half away so it's not so bad for me, and I think I'd rather have a good look before I choose just coz I'm a bit wary of choosing one then visiting and finding out it's horrible! I'm not so worried about the oversubscribed because I'm on a gap year, and because I already have my grades my offer is unconditional. Apparently unconditional people get allocated accomodation on the 1st August and everyone else on or after results day. So I don't think oversubscribed should affect me.
oooh get you! medicine.. crazy! i dont know if i want to risk applying for devonshire then getting given some other place im not too keen on. hmmm. i guess you'l have a great time wherever you go really!
0
Whistle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#54
Report 8 years ago
#54
(Original post by accomoffice)
And there still is.

I'll usually only chip in if nobody else can answer a question or if someone says something that isn't right.

But you're absolutely correct about allocations. It's not first come first served; when we allocate the unconditional students, we set aside a proportion of all the accommodation (so if 25% of people are unconditional, we allocate 25% of the places at Dev, 25% at Bodington etc etc, leaving the remaining 75% for the 75% of people who are waiting for results). So everyone should have the same chance - if you don't get the place you want, it will usually be because too many other people want it as well.

Feel free to ask questions, anyone.
I really want to be on the Campus but would prefer self catered but have heard that it is really over subscribed as there is only one self catered accommodation. Would I stand more chance of getting catered? Somebody on here said that the food wasn't very good, so not sure what to do. Don't want to live off campus!
Thanks
0
PhilosophyIsMyGame
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#55
Report 8 years ago
#55
(Original post by elstevens)
Really leaning towards James Baillie though still undecided. It's so exciting! I love Leeds and it seemed like the city offered so much to do in the evenings, so I want to be in a good place for that. Also, self catered is important to me =).
I really love James Baillie too, do you no about or anyone told you much about it! I agree about Leeds as a city it seems great!
0
Lovin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
#56
Report 8 years ago
#56
(Original post by accomoffice)
And there still is.

I'll usually only chip in if nobody else can answer a question or if someone says something that isn't right.

But you're absolutely correct about allocations. It's not first come first served; when we allocate the unconditional students, we set aside a proportion of all the accommodation (so if 25% of people are unconditional, we allocate 25% of the places at Dev, 25% at Bodington etc etc, leaving the remaining 75% for the 75% of people who are waiting for results). So everyone should have the same chance - if you don't get the place you want, it will usually be because too many other people want it as well.

Feel free to ask questions, anyone.
When would we be likely to hear about accomodation? I have an unconditional offer and someone said earlier that they are allocated by 1st august. Is this correct?
AND Also heard that apparently leodis is closing down, heard it from the yougo site. So was just wondering if this were true or not and whether or not I should change my application.
0
accomoffice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
#57
Report 8 years ago
#57
(Original post by supernova92)
Ooooh thanks It'll be the maths department for me, just booked my open day, and it says that there'll be a talk, but i'm guessing no chance to look?
I think you get to look round the Henry Price Building while you're on your campus tour. Enjoy
1
accomoffice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
#58
Report 8 years ago
#58
(Original post by Lovin)
When would we be likely to hear about accomodation? I have an unconditional offer and someone said earlier that they are allocated by 1st august. Is this correct?
Yes, it is.


(Original post by Lovin)
AND Also heard that apparently leodis is closing down, heard it from the yougo site. So was just wondering if this were true or not and whether or not I should change my application.
Well, that's news to me! No idea where that rumour has come from but it is just a rumour. If anyone could cut and paste the bit from the yougo website, I'd be very grateful.
0
Lovin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
#59
Report 8 years ago
#59
(Original post by accomoffice)
Yes, it is.

Well, that's news to me! No idea where that rumour has come from but it is just a rumour. If anyone could cut and paste the bit from the yougo website, I'd be very grateful.
No it wasn't official but what someone said that all of the people who Lived in leodis were moved last year and that they thought it was closing down. Just thought I'd ask, sometimes rumours turn out to be true but thank you for lettng me know
0
Ash1ir
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
#60
Report 8 years ago
#60
(Original post by outlaw-torn)
Hey! Yeah it's such a good price for the standard of accomodation. I mean, it's obviously not gonna be the poshest but it's everything you need for a nice, decent, standard flat. You share with 3 others - it's usually 2 guys and 2 girls in a flat. Shared kitchen and bathroom. Rooms 1,2 and 3 in a flat are huge and 4 is kind of like mediocre! Room 1 even has a balcony!

It's halfway between Headingley and uni
- 20/25 minute walk to uni campus
- 15 minute walk to Sainsburys and all the other shops in Headingley

In a nice quiet area, but it's quite a sociable halls because everyone knows everyone - there's only about 80 of us so your pretty much mates with anyone.

Anything else?
I was looking at the pictures for NHC on the accommodation website and tbh, they look huge! 3-4 times the size of what some of my friends are in. Are all the rooms like that?

The link http://www.leeds.ac.uk/accommodation...t/gallery.html
0
X
new posts
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (508)
37.71%
No - but I will (103)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.81%

Watched Threads

View All