To the people who don't really receive romantic/sexual attention, but are content... Watch

Fandabidoze!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by philistine)
I'd like to add, on top of my previous post, that all the old folk wisdom and other sayings such as 'he/she completes me', or to 'find your other half', are completely absurd in.

The greatest relationships occur when both parties are entirely secure with who they are, what they're doing, and don't need to rely on either person one bit in an emotional way. If they were to part, they would only miss the union of the two bodies, not the other person as if they were a missing component.

It's almost like breaking a whole 'one' into two pieces, then trying to find a suitable other half to complete the just broken piece. It's ridiculous.
Absolutely agree. I want a relationship/love but the thought of becoming one of those people who "wouldn't know what to do with myself if he/she left me" scares me a bit. I want to care for someone, not rely upon them.

Personally, I currently want a relationship but for the wrong reasons. I just want to see what it's like and that would be unfair on the girl. I should be in a relationship with someone because I want them, not because I feel like I'm missing out. I'm also not completely happy with myself so don't make any effort at all in attracting or approaching other people which is a big factor of my singledom.
SB_Vision
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
this is going to sound bad

but don't let it bother you... relationships don't have to be important at the minute focus on yourself
magic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Well, it weren't actually me asking him out, a friend of mine was setting us up together and she asked him out for me. But when he rejected me, it got out to some people, including this nasty girl who then started saying stuff behind my back about me and not him .

I've been looking for a part-time job for MONTHS, but I can't seem to get one, which is depressing me more . Just another barrier for me getting by in life :sigh:.

You say such lovely words, if only you were someone I knew for real. Thank you very much for your help
Chin up! Everyone's finding it hard to get a job right now - keep trying and you'll get one eventually though! You must have all sorts of useful skills.

I don't suppose you live anywhere near London or the South East, do you? lol. You sound sweet, and it sucks that life isn't going your way - at the moment anyway! PM me, we can be friends - I don't bite. I reckon I could help you get a job and boyfriend by the summer, and in return I make a new friend. I love making new friends!

magic

PS: Any other friendly people are welcome to PM me too.
glance
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can spend twice as much money on myself
Anonymous #4
Report 8 years ago
i have to deal with it theres not much i can do, i HATE it im depressed and do not enjoy being single anymore it really is slowly killing me, so i just think that it wont be forever and that soon i will change it for the better and meet someone, hopefully i really hope...
Wanischa
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just concentrate on other things like studying and reading.
I let a relationship messed up my life last year but that's never going to happen again.

I'm determined to find myself because I know that in the past I always adapted to suit my other half and I forgot who I really am.
matt608
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Only bothers me if there's a girl stirring my heart potion... knocking at the door, so to speak. But usually there isn't, so its fine.
Anonymous #5
Report 8 years ago
I'm 22 and I've never had a girlfriend or done anything with a girl. As I hardly ever go out, I don't really know how females generally perceive me so I don't if they would give me attention but in general, I haven't gotten the feeling that I'm getting much female attention. Perhaps its there but I'm not picking up on it.
Anyway there are so many other things to life than just relationships. Career, hobbies, studies, sports, etc. I just occupy my time with other things. Never really having had much female contact, its kind of difficult to miss something I've never experienced so I guess that makes things easier as well.
Undulipodia
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Narcissism helps - I'm so utterly self-absorbed I hardly notice. :pierre:
DH-Biker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
To be honest my priorities don't account for romantic or sexual attention; unless I'm being admired on the Podium if I win, or if some girls see my training on the fell. Otherwise, I just don't care. :dontknow:
I'm perfectly content without it, though. :yep:
SatanIsAwesome
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I just don't let trivial things bother me -.-
thisisnew
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Melons aren't just for eating...

:creep:
SOA Vamp
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Living for myself. Yeah, there are times when I get lonely, won't lie, but I have my freedom and I love my life as it is for the most part. Enjoy spending time with your friends, family, doing hobbies, whatever you enjoy. We've all got the rest of our lives in front of us
im so academic
Report 8 years ago
Had two long term girlfriends between the ages of eighteen to twenty-one. I'm twenty one now, and just before Christmas (shortly before my birthday), I made after Hume and dedicated myself to literature, writing and the study of the arts and general cultures of the world.

I'm being deadly serious, and you know what? I'm happier than I've ever been in my entire life. The pleasure you get from understanding and relishing in the knowledge that you have experienced the greatest thoughts and philosophical systems to date is worth more than meaningless ****ing. Same goes with learning new languages, experiencing new cultures, meeting new people; the whole works.

I'm not saying I'd actively shun any attention I received from a lady, though she'd have to be damn impressive and not just 'some bird I found attractive' for me to consider going into a relationship. One night stands, flings etc, I've never been into. Complete waste of time.

Like Hume, I plan on doing this for ten years. Though being so used to it, and garnering such a great deal of pleasure from the things I've learned, I'll probably do it for much longer.

To get to the juicy stuff: I haven't had sex in four months now, and don't miss it one bit (when considering the cons of a relationship, that is).
Wow, that is amazing. (Really attractive as well).

:love: Why can't there be more men like you out there?
im so academic
Report 8 years ago
Recently turned twenty-one. It's not gathered so much attention beyond the occasional remark from my flatmates (usually derogatory, though they can't speak), or the seldom quip about me scouring the internet for random facts or having seemingly encyclopaedic knowledge.

I've always been a very 'colourful' character, both in personality and the way in which I speak. I stand out, for all the right reasons. Though, I can freely admit I stay away from the bulk of social situations, as, well, going to the pub to play pool every other night is nothing but wasting time (once a week, perhaps, as it's fun). However, none of my greatest friendships have suffered one iota from me being a shrinking violet-- no way.

I'm blowing steam, so best to stop.
:eek:

Where can I find men like you around?

:drool:
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm glad I made this thread - TSR has some intelligent people after all
sheep_go_baa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cheer up, i'm sure there's someone headed your way
glance
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I guess you can't find someone else until you've found yourself.
Kungfumaster52
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I guess I am sort of the opposite... I receive the attention but have no desire for it most of the time. I don't have any desire to be liked or popular, it means nothing to me. I just be myself and be nice and courteous to everyone and it has worked out pretty well. Not to say I am anything special, but just be considerate of others and don't appear desperate and you will probably have some more luck. As for content, I am extremely content not being popular or having a girl friend or anything. (I know people assume that this is only said when one cannot get one.) But I could get laid anytime I would like to. I simply have no desire to because I think it is pointless. Relationships are simply frustrating, complicated, distracting and not worth the time at this stage in life. I know for most people that is the center of their life, but really don't worry about it. Eventually you will find someone and it will be long term. Why waste your time and your heart dating around now when it is probably not going to last anyway? Just enjoy life for everything it's worth and relationships will happen by themselves. The best relationships typically happen when you are perfectly content where you are and are not looking for them. They are much more important things in life than a bf/gf. Just saying...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (140)
38.25%
No - but I will (21)
5.74%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.1%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
48.91%

Watched Threads