Why do people hate Oxbridge students? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Pendulum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I dislike Oxbridge students that try and look down on people because they had a different upbringing/education just the same as I dislike anyone who looks down on people because of this.
renjie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
someone who creates such threads has clearly NOT been to oxbridge
Rogercbinboy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't actively dislike Oxbridge students and I've never had any desire to go there to study even if I could so I'm not jealous.

Saying why I might dislike Oxbridge students though is that it appears to be extremely elitist, not multicultural at all, massive egos/arrogance and people seem to get in based on their background and not enough on their dedication to learn/natural talent.

Having said that I wouldn't assume all of that when meeting someone from Oxbridge.
comrade_jon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Rogercbinboy)
Saying why I might dislike Oxbridge students though is that it appears to be extremely elitist, not multicultural at all, massive egos/arrogance and people seem to get in based on their background and not enough on their dedication to learn/natural talent.
But that's the Oxbridge of 30+ years ago, not today. Statistically speaking there is a lack of ethnic minorities, but access support is there even more so for these people - the problem certainly does not occur at Oxbridge's end, but instead at the lack of people from minority backgrounds being encouraged to continue on to A-Levels, pick the right ones, get As etc.

It's nothing to do with background, but sadly those from a richer background just tend to be able to better communicate their ideas and get the required grades because of the school they've been to, however you get that problem with all elite institutions, and the fact that there are things like the Cambridge Special Access Scheme means even if you go to the worst inner-city comp there are opportunities for you.

In fact a lot of people get rejected despite coming from Eton with 15 A* GCSEs and 5 or 6 A* A-Levels precisely because it is based on dedication to learn and natural talent, since the interview is there to see if you fulfil the method in which Oxbridge educates well enough.

However, the egos and arrogance one may well be an issue with Oxbridge students because Oxford and Cambridge respectively are very small worlds, however that's to do with the intense form of education and the fact that you are learning with the best, taught by the best. But to stereotype that across all Oxbridge students is wrong. At the worst ex-poly you'll have arrogant people, even some rahs and yahs, just as you would at Oxbridge and other elite universities.

There's no reason at all to hate a student who goes to a particular university. Just as it's unreasonable for me to go "I hate Durham students", in turn it is also wrong to say "I hate Oxbridge students".
Rogercbinboy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by comrade_jon)
But that's the Oxbridge of 30+ years ago, not today. Statistically speaking there is a lack of ethnic minorities, but access support is there even more so for these people - the problem certainly does not occur at Oxbridge's end, but instead at the lack of people from minority backgrounds being encouraged to continue on to A-Levels, pick the right ones, get As etc.

It's nothing to do with background, but sadly those from a richer background just tend to be able to better communicate their ideas and get the required grades because of the school they've been to, however you get that problem with all elite institutions, and the fact that there are things like the Cambridge Special Access Scheme means even if you go to the worst inner-city comp there are opportunities for you.

In fact a lot of people get rejected despite coming from Eton with 15 A* GCSEs and 5 or 6 A* A-Levels precisely because it is based on dedication to learn and natural talent, since the interview is there to see if you fulfil the method in which Oxbridge educates well enough.

However, the egos and arrogance one may well be an issue with Oxbridge students because Oxford and Cambridge respectively are very small worlds, however that's to do with the intense form of education and the fact that you are learning with the best, taught by the best. But to stereotype that across all Oxbridge students is wrong. At the worst ex-poly you'll have arrogant people, even some rahs and yahs, just as you would at Oxbridge and other elite universities.

There's no reason at all to hate a student who goes to a particular university. Just as it's unreasonable for me to go "I hate Durham students", in turn it is also wrong to say "I hate Oxbridge students".
I actually agree, hence I said "saying why I might". If I had to chose a university full of snobs I probably would choose an Oxbridge uni but that wouldn't mean to say that they're all like that it's just since there are still elements of getting in through Daddy's contacts whether this is common or not.
Huw Davies
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I actually agree, hence I said "saying why I might". If I had to chose a university full of snobs I probably would choose an Oxbridge uni but that wouldn't mean to say that they're all like that it's just since there are still elements of getting in through Daddy's contacts whether this is common or not.
Evidence?
comrade_jon
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Getting in through Daddy's contacts is no longer the case. If your family has spent years going to the same old college and your surname may ring a bell with old college staff you'd probably be disadvantaged to apply there these days, instead better a different college so you appear as more independent of mind and choosing Oxbridge for genuine reasons rather than just tradition.

However I do understand what you're saying with the rest of your comment, a place as competitive to get into as Oxbridge is bound to have more snobbery than others but it is an often unfair picture.
Rogercbinboy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Huw Davies)
Evidence?
I have no hard evidence but I've only known one person who went to Cambridge and she had a terrible time and didn't find any mates because she wasn't from a rich background and the people in her halls would talk about skiing trips/owning horses etc.

It may be a rare instance and I don't mean to say that all Oxbridge people are like that, but I do think that such prestigious universities will naturally attract rich students (a student who's from a family where nobody has gone to university before may not even consider getting into Oxbridge for instance) in particular a wealthy foreign student population where money does separate universities.
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
I have no hard evidence but I've only known one person who went to Cambridge and she had a terrible time and didn't find any mates because she wasn't from a rich background and the people in her halls would talk about skiing trips/owning horses etc.
Because one anecdote proves your point, right? Lots of people from non-rich backgrounds have a great time at Oxbridge.
alix.alicis
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i am at cambridge, trinity college. i come from a normal family, i had no support at all during my application from my school, if anything they would hinder me. if i'm here i owe it all to myself, and it's certainly not thanks to a superior education or whatever. my interview was economics-based and i've never studied a single second of economics. all i'd done before uni, i'd done it by myself with the intent of applying here, self-studying an A-level economics book. and like me, many others. i can assure you that the proportion of people who come from famous private grammar schools is limited and it's not like you really notice it. tbh, all my closest friends are from poor-ish backgrounds, including internationals. all oxbridge haters might want to have a look at how oxbridge is before making their groundless judgements.
just saying.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
Because one anecdote proves your point, right? Lots of people from non-rich backgrounds have a great time at Oxbridge.
Like me :yeah:
JJJJ
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Many people don't hate Oxbridge students - the name Oxbridge simply conjures bitter memories. I was a good student and went to a top grammar school - I am not from a rich family and have never had a penny spent on my education. Oxford was my obsession, I applied on two occasions and was rejected both times.
When you throw yourselves into these things and are met with defeat it isn't pleasant - it's especially unpleasant when you see people with £30k a year spent on their education waltz in.
Sure, Oxbridge does have special access schemes but when private schools make up approx 5% of schools and 45% of Oxbridge students one does begin to question equality in higher education.
Rogercbinboy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
Hence the rest of my post.
Huw Davies
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JJJJ)
Many people don't hate Oxbridge students - the name Oxbridge simply conjures bitter memories. I was a good student and went to a top grammar school - I am not from a rich family and have never had a penny spent on my education. Oxford was my obsession, I applied on two occasions and was rejected both times.
When you throw yourselves into these things and are met with defeat it isn't pleasant - it's especially unpleasant when you see people with £30k a year spent on their education waltz in.
Sure, Oxbridge does have special access schemes but when private schools make up approx 5% of schools and 45% of Oxbridge students one does begin to question equality in higher education.
Or equality in secondary education? The proportion of privately-educated people admitted to Oxford\Cambridge is pretty similar to that applying. You'll also find that privately-educated people are over-represented at all competitive universities, not just Oxford\Cambridge.

It may be a rare instance and I don't mean to say that all Oxbridge people are like that, but I do think that such prestigious universities will naturally attract rich students (a student who's from a family where nobody has gone to university before may not even consider getting into Oxbridge for instance) in particular a wealthy foreign student population where money does separate universities.
This isn't at all like what you said before about "getting in through Daddy's contacts", though.
ilickbatteries
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ilios_Lampros)
In response to: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ussions_latest

Don't get me wrong, there are some daddy's boys and girls who get into Oxbridge because they were given a top-notch education which so many other, less well-off students could have benefitted even more from- given half the chance.

But at the same time getting in is still an achievement, isn't it? So is being able to handle the workload and the stress (in my seconf year 35 hours contact time was considered 'normal'.

Why should you tar all Oxbridge students with the same brush? Yes, there are a sigificant number of rahs, but there were also some people like myself, who grew up in a former mining village in County Durham in a single parent family and was eligible for free school meals.

I didn't enjoy Cambridge. I got out the first chance I got. However, all this talk makes me wonder what I suffered through it all for. Why don't I, or the scores of other 'normal' people who went, 'deserve' it? What is so wrong with wanting to make something more of yourself and achieve things in life (not that other students at other top unis aren't)?

All opinions welcome...
Good on you lad. Even though you left, I'm proud that someone from where I come from actually got in.
Physics Enemy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by alix.alicis)
i am at cambridge, trinity college. i come from a normal family, i had no support at all during my application from my school, if anything they would hinder me. if i'm here i owe it all to myself, and it's certainly not thanks to a superior education or whatever. my interview was economics-based and i've never studied a single second of economics. all i'd done before uni, i'd done it by myself with the intent of applying here, self-studying an A-level economics book. and like me, many others. i can assure you that the proportion of people who come from famous private grammar schools is limited and it's not like you really notice it. tbh, all my closest friends are from poor-ish backgrounds, including internationals. all oxbridge haters might want to have a look at how oxbridge is before making their groundless judgements.
just saying.
You're not doing Economics though, you're doing Land Economy. That doesn't count!
Rascacielos
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Jealousy on the part of some I imagine, but there are quite a few stereotypes surrounding Oxbridge students as well. It's quite common for people to believe that Oxford and Cambridge are dominated by extremely wealthy, uptight ex-public school students (when in reality, it's about a 50/50 split between public and state schools, and also not all ex-public school students are uptight!), who seem to provoke quite a lot of hatred. This was probably the case 50-100 years ago, but it's definitely started to change now and the two universities have come down off their pedestals and are now much more friendly and open. However, the prejudice still remains, and probably always will.
Physics Enemy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Huw Davies)
You'll also find that privately-educated people are over-represented at all competitive universities, not just Oxford\Cambridge.
This is certainly true, and something I have to mention time and time again. Leeds Uni is up North, but hardly anyone from Leeds goes there, and it's full of middle class, wealthy people. Plenty of Pippa's and Harriett's. They're nice though.
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think generally people hate all Oxbridge students, but those that do I imagine it is simply because the stereotype is true. I believed all the Access stuff (and do genuinely believe that the access people do a fabulous job) but I was asked what my parents did before they even asked my name. I was looked down on for being common and was utterly miserable for three years. I loved my course, and also the people on my course, but my College was complete hell. I ended up in counselling because of it, and even the counsellor told me that they get sent no end of people from my college telling stories of bullying from the rich kids. And no, it wasn't one of the sterotypically snobby ones.

Most of them on their own are absolutely lovely, but they have a pack mentality worse than in most social situations I've seen.
riever86
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ilios_Lampros)
In response to: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ussions_latest

Don't get me wrong, there are some daddy's boys and girls who get into Oxbridge because they were given a top-notch education which so many other, less well-off students could have benefitted even more from- given half the chance.

But at the same time getting in is still an achievement, isn't it? So is being able to handle the workload and the stress (in my seconf year 35 hours contact time was considered 'normal'.

Why should you tar all Oxbridge students with the same brush? Yes, there are a sigificant number of rahs, but there were also some people like myself, who grew up in a former mining village in County Durham in a single parent family and was eligible for free school meals.

I didn't enjoy Cambridge. I got out the first chance I got. However, all this talk makes me wonder what I suffered through it all for. Why don't I, or the scores of other 'normal' people who went, 'deserve' it? What is so wrong with wanting to make something more of yourself and achieve things in life (not that other students at other top unis aren't)?

All opinions welcome...
It probably depends upon the kind of people you associate with to be fair. Where I am in London, I don't feel that about Oxbridgers, and nor (as far as I know) do my friends. I think it's a bit of a straw man. Then again, I've worked on building sites, where you'd get fun poked (often good-naturedly) for talking "proper" or for having attended any university...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.76%
No - but I will (98)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (607)
47.65%

Watched Threads